Useful ukulele apps for the iPad?

Mivo

Reaction score
I recently picked up an iPad Air 2 (had an iPad 2 before, but it collected dust since I mostly used an Android device), and I'm curious which ukulele apps you folks find useful? Any must-haves that I should check out? There's so much out there so that it's hard for me to spot the gems. :)

I have:

* Ukulele Toolkit, which is a good jack of all trades app: tuner, chord dictionary, metronome, scale finder, etc.
* UkeMaster, which is a chord dictionary, but allows for reverse chord lookup as well, and is easier and cleaner to use than the chord dictionary of the toolkit, above.
* Trainer HD - Ukulele, which is a fretboard learning tool
* UkeChordDetect, which takes songs from your iTunes library and analyzes them for chord progressions
* QInterval, which is a simple circle of fifths.

And

*OnSong, which is a song sheet repository, to organize all your text, word, and pdf song sheets. If they are in chord pro format, it will allow for transposition on the fly, as well as auto scroll, set list composition, and a million other features, including displaying uke chord charts.

I dont have access to my iPad right now, but I will update this post tomorrow with the apps I use, but first off I want to mention that I use a tuner app called 'instuner' ($4 but WELL worth it) which as several display modes including a strobe tuner mode, and I find this to be an excellent app for it's purpose.

see here: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/instuner-chromatic-tuner-tone/id528923171?mt=8

Definitely OnSong but coming from Android you may have a different favorite that may be cross platform. GoodReader is another I've heard favorable things about, primarily for PDFs.

Chords4Ukes is a great, easy chord finder.

I've been using Guitar toolkit, which should be called 'strings toolkit' as it is a tuner for all stringed instruments, chord and scales also for all stringed instruments. To keep and maintain my scores, I've been using forScore after having a look at others, and after 2 years, I would not change.
Michel

Instuner
Forscore
Tabular (can draft up some quick nice looking tab)
Capture (easy way of recording and posting to YouTube)

Global Tuner is my favorite.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Amazing Slower Downer yet. This is my absolute favorite tool. You can change speed of any song without altering pitch. Great when learning a new song. I will start of playing around 70% speed and work my way up.

+1 for Guitar Toolkit.

Progression can be coaxed into doing your own tablature for uke but it's not the easiest app to get into.

Pro Metronome
Loopy HD

There are some good YouTube vids on using Loopy HD

+1 for Pro Metronome. A great interface for one of your most important learning tools. It's free.

I like the Ukulele Toolkit app a lot, but beware - I've found the tuner was not exactly accurate. I hope the other Toolkit apps are better. I use Ukulele Toolkit for the metronome & chord finder but use an app called TraceTuner for tuning. It's very simple and very accurate, although the design is a bit outdated compared to Instuner, I find it to be a very intuitive way to tune an instrument.

I have that app, and bought the IAP as well. I like what "The Ukulele Teacher" has done for a lot of players, so I am supportive of his app.

I haven't opened it recently, but it plays tuning pitches (at the time, it didn't have an actual "tuner"), gives you a YouTube index of all of his tutorials, and has a chord finder and reverse chord finder, among other features.

As a person embedding ukulele into a middle school choir program, I love that he isn't an accomplished singer, but it doesn't stop him from singing anyway. That is encouraging to me, and really, is the end goal of why we are music educators (people enjoying music on their own and with others for the rest of their lives). So I'll definitely keep supporting his efforts.

I also bought one of of his t-shirts.

Top Bottom