NUD- Blackbird Clara

vcs700s

Reaction score
I received my Blackbird Clara from Dixie Ukelele's last Friday. I have been playing it ever since as it usually takes me awhile to bond with an instrument. We are definitely bonding!

It came set-up with a wound low G which lasted a very short time. I don't like the feeling of wound string on a uke. Just my opinion. I immediately changed the strings to Oasis Bright strings with a high G. That is more like it.

I purchased the Clara for a few reasons but primarily I had heard it was easy to play which I was hoping would help my 62 year old hands. I also wanted a uke I could travel with where temperature and humidity wasn't an issue.

The Clara is by far the easiest uke I have played. I am sure there are others that play as well, maybe one with a radiused fingerboard, but for now the Clara has fulfilled that need.

Its tone and sustain, playability and looks are fantastic! I love playing this uke and every time I open the case I am impressed. This one has an all black theme: tuner buttons, nut, saddle and strap pin. Love it!

The gig bag is made by Access. It is one of the nicest and most padded gig bags I have seen or owned. The Clara is secure in it for sure.

I may try some Martin fluorocarbons on it next but for now she rings like a bell. More updates in the future.

On a side note my UAS had subsided, at least for awhile! :)

She's beautiful!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
Congratulations, Vic. I also love the look of the blacked out Clara. When I get another, it will be like that. If you experiment with strings, try some Aquila Reds. They sound great on the Clara. The papyrus-like feel of these strings take a bit of getting used to, but I learned to actually prefer it.

Now, back to your bonding! ;-)

Hmmmm, waiting to see if Clara kicks Kanilea off the top of my uke list.

A warm welcome to the Clara lovers club! It is all you said it is, an awesome uke.

Wow, these things are really popular! Wish I owned that patent!
Congratulations on what I know to be a very fine sounding uke...looks like maybe the wave :shaka:eek:f the future.

Thanks everyone. It is a great uke and I am enjoying our "get to know" time. :)

"The Clara is by far the easiest uke I have played. I am sure there are others that play as well, maybe one with a radiused fingerboard, but for now the Clara has fulfilled that need."

Vic, I have small hands and I'm wondering if the Clara has a narrow fretboard and would this uke be good for small hands? Like you, I want a uke I don't have to worry about humidifying and cracking wood. Thanks for any advice.
Claudia

Hi Claudia,

I doubt it is narrower than many other concerts but it is very easy to play.

The Clara fretboard isn't narrower. It's just well designed and very comfortable when set up right.

I was aiming at a Boat Paddle (for when I learn how to play), but they're solid wood and hence too much trouble for me. Soooo, I think I'll change my target to a Clara or a Blackbird.

Great looking Uke. You're very fortunate. :eek:ld:

Yes, my hands are average and my fingers are short and the Clara works great for me.

Plays super easy.

Thank you all! Might be looking to add a Clara at some point.

Top Bottom