PDA

View Full Version : NUD- Blackbird Clara

vcs700s
02-02-2015, 06:58 AM
I received my Blackbird Clara from Dixie Ukelele's last Friday. I have been playing it ever since as it usually takes me awhile to bond with an instrument. We are definitely bonding!

It came set-up with a wound low G which lasted a very short time. I don't like the feeling of wound string on a uke. Just my opinion. I immediately changed the strings to Oasis Bright strings with a high G. That is more like it.

I purchased the Clara for a few reasons but primarily I had heard it was easy to play which I was hoping would help my 62 year old hands. I also wanted a uke I could travel with where temperature and humidity wasn't an issue.

The Clara is by far the easiest uke I have played. I am sure there are others that play as well, maybe one with a radiused fingerboard, but for now the Clara has fulfilled that need.

Its tone and sustain, playability and looks are fantastic! I love playing this uke and every time I open the case I am impressed. This one has an all black theme: tuner buttons, nut, saddle and strap pin. Love it!

The gig bag is made by Access. It is one of the nicest and most padded gig bags I have seen or owned. The Clara is secure in it for sure.

I may try some Martin fluorocarbons on it next but for now she rings like a bell. More updates in the future.

On a side note my UAS had subsided, at least for awhile! :-)

She's beautiful!

Ukulele Eddie
02-02-2015, 07:29 AM
Congratulations, Vic. I also love the look of the blacked out Clara. When I get another, it will be like that. If you experiment with strings, try some Aquila Reds. They sound great on the Clara. The papyrus-like feel of these strings take a bit of getting used to, but I learned to actually prefer it.

Now, back to your bonding! ;-)

mkatz
02-02-2015, 08:18 AM
Congratulations, they are great sounding ukes!

Mitch

PhilUSAFRet
02-02-2015, 10:07 AM
Hmmmm, waiting to see if Clara kicks Kanilea off the top of my uke list.

Andy Chen
02-02-2015, 01:51 PM
A warm welcome to the Clara lovers club! It is all you said it is, an awesome uke.

Camsuke
02-02-2015, 02:39 PM
Congratulations! Well done.

good_uke_boy
02-02-2015, 02:54 PM
Congratulations from your neighbor in Maryland!

Nickie
02-02-2015, 03:00 PM
Wow, these things are really popular! Wish I owned that patent!
Congratulations on what I know to be a very fine sounding uke...looks like maybe the wave :shaka:of the future.

iDavid
02-03-2015, 01:05 AM
Nice to put the humidifier aside.

Hope to get one, some day....

mm stan
02-03-2015, 02:21 AM
Congratulations and happy strummings :)

vcs700s
02-03-2015, 03:11 AM
Thanks everyone. It is a great uke and I am enjoying our "get to know" time. :-)

Cnell
02-08-2015, 02:54 AM
"The Clara is by far the easiest uke I have played. I am sure there are others that play as well, maybe one with a radiused fingerboard, but for now the Clara has fulfilled that need."

Vic, I have small hands and I'm wondering if the Clara has a narrow fretboard and would this uke be good for small hands? Like you, I want a uke I don't have to worry about humidifying and cracking wood. Thanks for any advice.
Claudia

Andy Chen
02-08-2015, 05:09 AM
Hi Claudia,

I doubt it is narrower than many other concerts but it is very easy to play.

katysax
02-08-2015, 05:16 AM
The Clara fretboard isn't narrower. It's just well designed and very comfortable when set up right.

Down Up Dick
02-08-2015, 05:42 AM
I was aiming at a Boat Paddle (for when I learn how to play), but they're solid wood and hence too much trouble for me. Soooo, I think I'll change my target to a Clara or a Blackbird.

Great looking Uke. You're very fortunate. :old:

iDavid
02-08-2015, 08:37 PM
Clara is so stable that they set the strings really, really low.

Cnell
02-09-2015, 01:35 AM
Clara is so stable that they set the strings really, really low.

Thank you, this makes sense.
Claudia

vcs700s
02-09-2015, 02:57 AM
Yes, my hands are average and my fingers are short and the Clara works great for me.

Plays super easy.

Cnell
02-09-2015, 08:12 AM
Thank you all! Might be looking to add a Clara at some point.