700th Post Celebration -- List of Ukes I've tried

Stevelele

Reaction score
So to celebrate my 700th post, I'm going to write a list of all the ukuleles I've tried (I haven't owned all of them, but I used to own or still own several of them). My favorites are the MBU's, the mango Kamaka, the LFDM, the Grimes and the Del Pilar Baritone. Feel free to respond with your own list!:

- Moore Bettah Tenors (3 koa, 1 spruce and 1 Douglas Fir)
- William Del Pilar Baritone
- Martin Soprano 2m
- Dasilva 5k replica
- Kamaka Custom Mango Tenor (built by Casey Kamaka)
- Kamaka Ohta San Concert (made by Casey K)
- Kris Barnett Tenor (Braz rosewood back/sides, cedar top)
- Ohana soprano (zebrawood b/s, cedar top)
- Santa cruz Guitar Company concert (unbelievable mahogany)
- William King Concert Longscale (packed with every feature)
- Lymana Tenor (mango b/s spruce top – used same mango that was on Bill Tapia’s ukulele)
- Moore Bettah Soprano
- William Del Pilar Tenor (rock maple back and sides, west german spruce top)
- Pepe Romero Tenor (braz rosewood back sides/spruce top)
- Mya Moe Tenor (brw back/sides, port orford cedar top)
- Compass Rose Tenor (all walnut, curly)
- Collings UT3 (quilted maple b/s spruce top)
- Martin Tenor
- Gibson TU2 Tenor
- Gibson TU1 Tenor
- Loprinzi custom nova tenor all maple
- several Koalohas
- several kamakas
- several kanileas
- several kalas and ohanas
- blackbird clara
- Glyph concert koa
- Glyph soprano koa
- Willie Wixom tenor
- Covered Bridge concert (curly myrtle with spruce top)
- William King concert (can't remember the materials -- bought in the mail but it cracked)
- Gibson Banjo uke
- Custom kamaka cigar box replica (actually sounded very good for what it was -- signed by jake I actually miss it)
- LFDM (macassar ebony and sinker redwood)
- Devine tenor (blonde koa)
- Devine Cuban mahogany
- Grimes Tenor (red koa)
- Vento Tenor all koa
- Ko-olau custom all koa
- Breedlove Master Class Tenor all koa
- Maui Music Concert/Tenor
- Kris Barnett Concert ukes (brw b/s and cedar top)
- Jason Wolverton tenor (pau ferro BS, redwood top)
- Kinnard tenor, milo bs, spruce top
- Lichty Baritone (don’t remember woods)
- Dasilva thin bodied tenor (don’t remember woods)
- Toda tenor (African blackwood b/s, spruce top)
- Kiwaya Soprano
- Mya Moe mango tenor
- Several collings concerts/tenors
- Flukes

Last edited:
Wow you certainly have been busy. How long have you been playing ukulele?

So to celebrate my 700th post, I'm going to write a list of all the ukuleles I've tried (I haven't owned all of them, but I used to own or still own several of them). My favorites are the MBU's, the mango Kamaka, the LFDM, the Grimes and the Del Pilar Baritone. Feel free to respond with your own list!:

- Santa Cruz Guitar Company concert (unbelievable mahogany)

Yup, it is an unbelievable uke...:D

Last edited:
I am humbled :bowdown:

Wonderful list of your journey Steve!

I agree with you on the LFDM. Mine is Alaskan Yellow Cedar over Quilted Maple with Koa trim.

not only is the LFDM great, but he is just the nicest man. I still have mine and really love it

Wonderful list of your journey Steve!

I agree with you on the LFDM. Mine is Alaskan Yellow Cedar over Quilted Maple with Koa trim.

Last edited:
That's quite a list, Steve. I'd be interested to know which sopranos you like(d) the best. Do sopranos tend to sound fairly similar, or do some stand out in terms of tone and sustain?

i'd be happy to share with you my impressions of any of those ukes. I did originally have descriptions by each one, but since these things are highly subjective, I didn't want it to come across like some kind of ratings list.

Man oh man, Steve. Can you upload to dropbox your experience and memories of playing these fine instruments? Do we have that technology yet? :)

Sopranos sound so different from each other, and it's super hard to say. I think that what people want from a soprano can be very very different. I love my martin 2m, because it has that vintage sound that I've never heard from a tenor--not even sure it's possible for a tenor to sound like that (the vintage martin tenors never sounded very good to me). kiwayas come the closest to replicating that sound. But i also think that the koaloha sopranos are very light and sound very pretty. I think I have the least amount of experience with sopranos though--the most with tenors.

That's quite a list, Steve. I'd be interested to know which sopranos you like(d) the best. Do sopranos tend to sound fairly similar, or do some stand out in terms of tone and sustain?

Thanks, Steve. That’s very helpful. I’m still trying to tune my ear into ukes, and sopranos specifically. I’m a guitarist, and the sopranos appeal to me more than the larger ukes – for now, at least.

I’ve listened to a good few Youtube videos in recent days, and I’m just beginning to hear (or imagine!) that vintage Martins do have some deeper tones than some Hawaiian sopranos, but the Martins also have a sparkle at the top end – sometimes it almost sounds like two instruments strumming at the same time.

I thought the Hawaiian ukes might sound more ethereal, with a clear, harp-like tone, and thought that would be good for some picking.

Again, I’m not sure if I’m imagining these differences, and if they do exist, whether or not they’re mainly due to mahogany vs koa.

I’m curious about the custom sopranos on your list – did the DaSilva and Glyph sound different/better than a vintage Martin or a KoAloha, or are they simply better built with fancier woods?

I’ve just ordered my first soprano – I felt I just had to start somewhere, and see if I like the soprano size, and then see what aspects of this particular instrument’s tone I like/dislike. Hopefully that will stand me in good stead if I feel the need to buy a second uke!

it's all just a matter of taste. The glyph soprano wasn't my favorite. I love the martin soprano and enjoy it more than a koaloha soprano. i feel like the hawaiian sopranos have this really super distinct sound, which is light and is most associated with that traditional hawaiian sound. I like that sound, but i like the vintage sound a little more. BTW, I like the vintage Martins better than the current ones. If you want a new uke with that sound, I would go with a kiwaya

Thanks, Steve. That’s very helpful. I’m still trying to tune my ear into ukes, and sopranos specifically. I’m a guitarist, and the sopranos appeal to me more than the larger ukes – for now, at least.

I’ve listened to a good few Youtube videos in recent days, and I’m just beginning to hear (or imagine!) that vintage Martins do have some deeper tones than some Hawaiian sopranos, but the Martins also have a sparkle at the top end – sometimes it almost sounds like two instruments strumming at the same time.

I thought the Hawaiian ukes might sound more ethereal, with a clear, harp-like tone, and thought that would be good for some picking.

Again, I’m not sure if I’m imagining these differences, and if they do exist, whether or not they’re mainly due to mahogany vs koa.

I’m curious about the custom sopranos on your list – did the DaSilva and Glyph sound different/better than a vintage Martin or a KoAloha, or are they simply better built with fancier woods?

I’ve just ordered my first soprano – I felt I just had to start somewhere, and see if I like the soprano size, and then see what aspects of this particular instrument’s tone I like/dislike. Hopefully that will stand me in good stead if I feel the need to buy a second uke!

Top Bottom