1920s Wurlitzer Uke: Who Made It?

Christill1

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I lucked into another 1920s Wurlitzer soprano uke. Not as nice as the abalone-inlaid gem that I found last year, but this one is in near fabulous condition. I know Wurlitzer farmed out manufacturing to Martin, Oscar Schmidt, etc., but I don't know enough to ID the maker of this one. Plus, what woods are used? Can anyone help? Many many thanks, Chrisuke wurlitzer (8).jpguke wurlitzer (10).jpguke wurlitzer (11).jpguke wurlitzer (2).jpguke wurlitzer (1).jpg

that's a beautiful, well made vintage uke! congrats! how does she play?

Another? Wow, that's a sweetie. Wish I could luck into just one.

Lyon & Healy, Washburn model 1715.
My money would be on L&H, as well. But not a Washburn. Washburn was the brand name L&H put on their top of the line stuff that they sold directly. It my be absolutely identical in every regard to the model 1715 Washburn, but since it was sold as a Wurlitzer, it's not a Washburn.

Confusing when we split hairs this way, isn't it!

Last edited:
Interesting. I haven't been able to dig up a picture of the Washburn/Lyon & Healy 1715 yet, but am still looking. It sounds good except the action is too high for me. Thinking about getting a neck reset. Is that koa wood on the back? Many thanks, Chris

Hi Chris,that's a cool uke. I have one just like it. Mine plays great and has nice tone with Martin strings on it. I never knew who made it, except that it was not a Martin.

Could you post a close-up or two of your tuners? I am pretty sure mine are replacements.

Thanks, Bill

Who made it??

Wurlitzer is from Buffalo, New York, aren't they? There was another company from around there called Favilla. They made instruments for other companies to their specifications and badged them with the other's name. I have a Wimbrola made by them. The green and white label was made for another company, but when the deal fell through Grandpa Favilla just used up the labels he had just had made.

Top Bottom