Playing together.

Icelander53

Reaction score
My current practice partner and I are not playing together anymore. Our musical tastes have diverged. It was great while it lasted but I'm thinking of looking for a new playing partner.

We have no local Uke club or any of that so I'm thinking of putting up flyers but am not sure where? Any ideas on finding a practice partner?

It happens. I used to meet up to play with about a half-dozen others some years ago - of them, only 1 is still playing the uke. Now I play with a whole new group of players.

I think asking here on UU is a good first step - maybe start a new post, stating where you are and what kind of music. There's something called meetup.com that I've never used, but I know a lot of uke people here in Los Angeles use it. And as for flyers - see if you can put them up at your local music store! Both of the stores near me have bulletin boards where people post this sort of thing.

Have you thought of trying Craigslist?
Facebook?

The local music stores, public libraries, and places that give music lessons are good places to post. Be careful and first meet in a public area, don't exchange personal info until you have met and they seem ok. Most libraries have a community room you can get for free. Post on your flyer you are going to have a uke jam at the library with the date and time.

I did this and 95% of the people were fine. The other 5% had issues and a few were a little scary and I am 6'3". :)

Another place is where they hold open mic. You can meet folks or get contacts there.

Sometimes just sitting in front of a store or in park playing will help you meet others that play.

Good luck!

Great advice guys. Thanks. I hope I get lucky and find a 30 something blonde bombshell who likes dirty old men and doesn't play quite as good as me.

Most libraries have a community room you can get for free. Post on your flyer you are going to have a uke jam at the library with the date and time.

Aw man, not here in Los Angeles. I looked into this for my uke group and the library wanted $75 per half-hour to use their "community" room!

We currently meet in a church, so that's one possibility to look into. In the past we've met in restaurants, a coffee house, and in parks. That was the hardest part of starting a uke group - finding a place to play that didn't cost a fortune.

Aw man, not here in Los Angeles. I looked into this for my uke group and the library wanted $75 per half-hour to use their "community" room!

We currently meet in a church, so that's one possibility to look into. In the past we've met in restaurants, a coffee house, and in parks. That was the hardest part of starting a uke group - finding a place to play that didn't cost a fortune.
Yes that is a problem and when you find a place the close at 7. The local health food store had a community room, the national guard armory has a place. Internet search the county you are in for parks and recreation and ask them.

http://t.mailtribune.com/article/20140706/News/407060309

I have never been to Oregon, but this appears to be an article about a southern oregon ukulele group, it has some names and a telephone number at the bottom.

I had heard the group dissolved a few months back. But I'm looking for a playing partner that wants to practice at least a couple of times a week. I'd prefer more. With my last partner we were pretty much 6 days a week practice. You'd think I'd be a lot better player than I am. :p

♪♫Won't you be, oh, won't U bee, please won't you be my neighbor♫♪

I really hope you have good luck with your endeavor. I started a uke club and still can't find a partner! We've had our seventh meeting now and everyone loves it. I even had a guy show up on Monday who was from Roanoak, VA. That's like 3 hours from me!!!

Last edited:
Top Bottom