PDA

View Full Version : Playing together.



Icelander53
02-02-2015, 02:42 PM
My current practice partner and I are not playing together anymore. Our musical tastes have diverged. It was great while it lasted but I'm thinking of looking for a new playing partner.

We have no local Uke club or any of that so I'm thinking of putting up flyers but am not sure where? Any ideas on finding a practice partner?

janeray1940
02-02-2015, 02:47 PM
It happens. I used to meet up to play with about a half-dozen others some years ago - of them, only 1 is still playing the uke. Now I play with a whole new group of players.

I think asking here on UU is a good first step - maybe start a new post, stating where you are and what kind of music. There's something called meetup.com that I've never used, but I know a lot of uke people here in Los Angeles use it. And as for flyers - see if you can put them up at your local music store! Both of the stores near me have bulletin boards where people post this sort of thing.

Nickie
02-02-2015, 03:07 PM
Have you thought of trying Craigslist?
Facebook?

Ukuleleblues
02-02-2015, 03:28 PM
The local music stores, public libraries, and places that give music lessons are good places to post. Be careful and first meet in a public area, don't exchange personal info until you have met and they seem ok. Most libraries have a community room you can get for free. Post on your flyer you are going to have a uke jam at the library with the date and time.

I did this and 95% of the people were fine. The other 5% had issues and a few were a little scary and I am 6'3". :)

Another place is where they hold open mic. You can meet folks or get contacts there.

Sometimes just sitting in front of a store or in park playing will help you meet others that play.

Good luck!

peterbright
02-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Teach a relative or friend to play.

Icelander53
02-02-2015, 03:37 PM
Great advice guys. Thanks. I hope I get lucky and find a 30 something blonde bombshell who likes dirty old men and doesn't play quite as good as me.

janeray1940
02-02-2015, 03:46 PM
Most libraries have a community room you can get for free. Post on your flyer you are going to have a uke jam at the library with the date and time.


Aw man, not here in Los Angeles. I looked into this for my uke group and the library wanted $75 per half-hour to use their "community" room!

We currently meet in a church, so that's one possibility to look into. In the past we've met in restaurants, a coffee house, and in parks. That was the hardest part of starting a uke group - finding a place to play that didn't cost a fortune.

PhilUSAFRet
02-02-2015, 04:03 PM
Not the same, but here's a cool site for playalongs until you find a live person:

http://www.ukuleleplayalong.nl/#

and another: http://uke4u.com/playalongs/

Ukuleleblues
02-02-2015, 04:04 PM
Great advice guys. Thanks. I hope I get lucky and find a 30 something blonde bombshell who likes dirty old men and doesn't play quite as good as me.
Sounds like you got the 5% covered already....😝

Ukuleleblues
02-02-2015, 04:09 PM
Aw man, not here in Los Angeles. I looked into this for my uke group and the library wanted $75 per half-hour to use their "community" room!

We currently meet in a church, so that's one possibility to look into. In the past we've met in restaurants, a coffee house, and in parks. That was the hardest part of starting a uke group - finding a place to play that didn't cost a fortune.
Yes that is a problem and when you find a place the close at 7. The local health food store had a community room, the national guard armory has a place. Internet search the county you are in for parks and recreation and ask them.

Icelander53
02-03-2015, 01:39 PM
Thanks for that. This could take awhile.

Icelander53
02-03-2015, 01:41 PM
http://t.mailtribune.com/article/20140706/News/407060309

I have never been to Oregon, but this appears to be an article about a southern oregon ukulele group, it has some names and a telephone number at the bottom.

I had heard the group dissolved a few months back. But I'm looking for a playing partner that wants to practice at least a couple of times a week. I'd prefer more. With my last partner we were pretty much 6 days a week practice. You'd think I'd be a lot better player than I am. :p

Icelander53
02-03-2015, 01:43 PM
Not the same, but here's a cool site for playalongs until you find a live person:

http://www.ukuleleplayalong.nl/#

and another: http://uke4u.com/playalongs/

That will help, thanks.

bonesigh
02-03-2015, 05:20 PM
♪♫Won't you be, oh, won't U bee, please won't you be my neighbor♫♪

I really hope you have good luck with your endeavor. I started a uke club and still can't find a partner! We've had our seventh meeting now and everyone loves it. I even had a guy show up on Monday who was from Roanoak, VA. That's like 3 hours from me!!!