Gitard Question - Pickguards

peterbright

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I know not many actually use a pick, but does anyone use a guard to keep from damaging the top? I'm thinking clear thin acrylic.

I think more people do than you might realize, as a lot of the guards are clear, so you just don't see it.
I hear iPad screen protectors work very well.

I know not many actually use a pick, but does anyone use a guard to keep from damaging the top? I'm thinking clear thin acrylic.

For strumming, I often use a felt plectrum ... no problems there, when I'm using a soft nylon pick for melody (Jim Dunlop 0.46mm) it doesn't get close enough to the body of the instrument to cause damage ;)

However, I do have an area of wear above the strings on my Kala concert from where I've been claw-hammering enthusiastically and my thumb has been banging on the body :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about "clear acrylic". I think if it gets scratched it'll look as bad as if it wasn't there and need to be replaced, which may cause issues with adhesives etc. If I was going for a pick guard I'd choose either a solid colour or "tortoise-shell pattern", then it'd look like a pick-guard that had earned it's keep without pretending not to be there, but that's just my thoughts on the matter. I do have pick-guards on some of my guitars and I think they look quite smart, but there's no real sign of wear on any of them ... maybe 'cos i mostly finger-pick guitar :biglaugh:

I think more people do than you might realize, as a lot of the guards are clear, so you just don't see it.
I hear iPad screen protectors work very well.

Exactly. I use picks quite a bit, both because I'm primarily a guitarist and because fast strumming with many up-strokes (on both uke and guitar) can eventually give my finger a rope burn (I use the guitar style thumb for down-stroke, index for up-stroke; not sure how many ukers do that.)

I've seen clear ones that just sort of cling to the guitar without adhesive but do not know where to obtain them.

I'd also like to know of a source for clear, easily removable 'cling' type pickguards, for both uke and guitar.

I remember seeing something on StewMac, but dont recall if it has an adhesive or not to hold it on.

I have a cedar top guitar with a matte finish that is getting wear on the top from my fingernails on the downstrum, and I'd like to protect it before it gets much worse.

Top Bottom