Keeping time

I'm tapping my foot to my strumming instead of strumming to my foot tapping...

Which isn't really helping me stay on beat.

Does anyone have any recommendations on how to keep in rhythm?

Metronome.

That is how I learned. Put it on one beat and play to that.

Another great way is to learn a song and play with it. (You can find most any song on youtube)

Hope that helps some.

Metronome.

[...]

Another great way is to learn a song and play with it.

Seconded, on both counts.

One (non-beginner) trick for playing with a metronome is to set it at half-speed, and count the "clicks" as being on beats 2 and 4. In other words, it's like the metronome is the snare drum, playing the backbeat.

This will likely take some practice to get right, but it will help you internalize the downbeats. It works particularly well with practicing swing rhythms.

JJ

Yeah deff gonna have to agree with them. I'm a drummer and have been drumming for a long time and I like to think I keep pretty good time. But I still always practice with a metronome. Its not just for beginners everyone should truly use one when practicing. Also of course just like anything else they can be expensive but for your needs you can get a fairly cheap one. Just stop by guitar center or something. (assuming theres a guitar center where you are).

Also if you dont want to buy one you can look online for a free one, free is always better esp if ur poor like me lol This is one i used to use a while ago.

http://homepage.mac.com/ronmiller2/RonsSite/pitc%27n%27click.html

Will be honest no idea how to use the program since i barely use it (i have a regular metronome) But it looks simple enough. Enjoy!

Thanks so much for asking this question. I have never used a metronome before because I've never played an instrument before. I had to look up the online versions and using it was so helpful. I found the one on http://www.metronomeonline.com/ it seems good though I have no real basis for comparison. Thanks for the tip everyone. :D

Top Bottom