Left hand fingers stick to strings and play notes on release

LPBaker

Reaction score
This is something that happens when I've been playing for several minutes - I find that when I take my left-hand finger(s) off the strings after fretting a note/chord, the string seems to stick momentarily, enough to make that string ring out quite clearly when it unsticks.

I've tried it very, very slowly to make sure I wasn't moving my finger sideways, and I'm absolutely sure I'm in no way picking the string - it's definitely sticking to my finger.

Is this something that goes away as my fingertips harden?

Or is it something to do with the strings? I'm using a cheap ukulele - http://www.melbournemusiccentre.com.au/product/kealoha-concert-ukulele-73501/ - until I've learnt enough to be able to go to a store and evaluate a decent instrument, so I've got no idea what kind of strings it has now. I do have a new set of Aquila Nylgut strings here if that might help.

Any advice or experiences welcome!

Thanks,
Lindsay

The Nylgut strings may help a bit, but I had his problem in the beginning, too. It went away when the skin on the fingertips toughened a little, and I lifted the fingers "faster" (or perhaps "instinctively in the proper way that doesn't add noise" -- it just happened).

Friend of mine had this same thing. He was gripping
his chords way too hard and making a groove on the
end of his finger.When he 'lifted off' the string stuck
in the groove and came part way with him,then let
go with a twang,as though plucked again! Could this
be your problem maybe?

:agree: A common noob mistake. Also, check to see how high the action is on that uke....likely quite high, an easy fix

Thanks everyone. From what I've read in other places in the forum, the action is perhaps a little high (it's measured from the top of the fretwire, right, not from the fretboard?), but not massively so.

I definitely do get grooves on the end of my fingers, I thought that was normal. While playing today I tried to concentrate on using as little pressure as possible and that definitely seems to help. I'll keep working on that and see what happens in the coming months.

Thanks for all the advice, and the warm welcome :)

The strings only need to make contact with the fret. No additional pressure is required and in cases of high action, may actually distort the sound.

A bit of a problem I sometimes had, coming from steel string guitar. I got in the habit of fretting really hard, because it's required on guitar to eliminate ring (if you ever used a guitar, esp. steel string, the strings are under far greater tension than a Uke). It just takes a bit of time to get used to.

Also check the length of the nails on your left hand. If mine get too long they will sometimes catch on the string.

I had this problem over christmas when I was learning a new (difficult, for me piece) I couldn't understand why. But, it went away by itself when I got more comfortable with the piece. The action was actually a little lower than I'd have liked. Basically I think I was just so concerned that I was getting my fingers in the right places, that I was pressing into the strings a lot more than I needed to.

Maybe wash your hands before you play. Do not moisturize or put on any lotion or creams.

I'm mind blown this seems to be an issue with many. I cant fathom pressing so hard the skin is grabbing the string. Unwanted pull offs dont seem to happen to me, maybe its the Aquila reds.

Sometimes when one wants to pick up a very small piece of dirt or a bead or something too small to grasp, he/she will press a finger on to it, and it will indent and stick to his/her finger. I think that's sorta what you are doing with the string. And when you pull your finger off the string it makes a plink.

Lighten up! :eek:ld:

Top Bottom