KoAloha Pineapple soprano: Worth CF (Fat) strings too heavy?

toque

Reaction score
Recently I bought a lightly-used KoAloha Pineapple super soprano (i.e. Long neck). I'm not sure what strings are on it but I'd like to "fatten up" the tone and volume of the instrument.

I have a set of Worth CF (.62 mm/.74/.81/.66). String slots in the nut are more than wide enough (actually, I wish they were narrower! Seem way to sloppy!) so strings would fit fine. Note: Worth CMs (mediums) are .52 mm/.66/.74/.57

My question: would the heavier CF strings be TOO heavy and do damage to my Pineapple super soprano?

Thanks for advice.

Last edited:
Boy, hopefully someone who's run those strings on that uke will chime in. But I'd be worried that I wouldn't really know the answer until it was too late and damage had been done. I'd personally try Worth CM's or Martins first and see how you like the tone.

I encourage you to call KoAloha and ask Brian (or anyone else).

I would never put high tension strings on any of my koaloha,

Ditto that. As a matter of fact Andrew from HMS told me the Koaloha concerts come with the equivalent of Worth CL, soprano gauge. Koalohas are lightly made and braced and designed for lighter strings. If you want to warm or fatten up the tone try Living Water strings or any other warm string.

I have two Koaloha concerts and I recently changed out one of the string sets for Worth CM, they are thicker than the original strings and have made the tone less bright which was what I was hoping to achieve.

Last edited:
I had thought KoAloha used Worth CM, until I changed the string on my own concert and they felt way too thick. The Worth CLs worked perfectly, indistinguishable from the stock strings.

Even if it were safe to use the fatter strings, I think the effect on sound would be the opposite of what you want.
I may be wrong...
...but fatter strings would mean higher tension, which wouldn't give you a "fat" (complex?) sound you desire.

Top Bottom