Just gifted a black dolphin to a friend with PTSD

Olarte

Reaction score
Ah, just gifted a black Mahalo Dolphin a to a friend along with a cheap gig bag, a laminated chord chart and a dummies song book.

He is doing well, but has been struggling with guitar, and some ptsd related symptoms. We always talk about the uke, but I have found when someone has potential the best thing is to put one in their hands. they wont bother looking for the right one and getting one etc.

I also invited him to come visit and we can jam etc as he gets comfortable with it.

it feels great to get someone else started on their Ukulele Journey. He was surprised and thrilled.

That is so thoughtful. I hope your friend enjoys playing ukulele and finds some peace with their PTSD.

That's awesome!

I have a son who was diagnosed with PTSD after a near-fatal traffic accident and a three-month hospitalization a few years back. He has been in rehab ever since, learning every basic skill anew, but is now living a full life, and is a healthy sixteen-year-old boy. Music and theatre work have been major components in his wonderful recovery. Due to hand injuries, he can't play the uke, but he plays percussion. I believe the arts ought to be mandatory in the treatment of PTSD patients.

Great! I does feel good to give the gift of music to someone. Karma circles back. Well done! I hope he eventually gets UAS ... a much more positive disorder to have to deal with :D

Good for you Ivan!

Surely he will appreciated your kindness.

Maybe in a week or two, see how he is getting on, and if he needs your help to make sense of the chord charts and music book.

If so maybe have him over for an informal lesson/intro session. While there, you could do a show-and-tell with your own instruments, and explain what they mean to you personally, and maybe he will be inspired to keep at the ukulele...

All the best to you, and thanks for sharing the gift of music with someone who might really need it. :)

Thanks for the nice comments. He is my wife's cousin so yes I have plans to guide him amount and play together. In fact he wants to pick a simple song for Valentines for his girl so I will work with him.

As a cancer survivor I can attest that music helps to heal.

Last of all I guess karma worked rather quickly about an hour later I finally received Jon Duncan's (our very own UU's Eugene Ukulele) wonderful poetry book all the way from Australia. I thought it had been lost in the mail :)

So tonigh I'm feeling the joy of giving and receiving as I browse through Jon's amazing poetry!

Ah, just gifted a black Mahalo Dolphin a to a friend along with a cheap gig bag, a laminated chord chart and a dummies song book.

He is doing well, but has been struggling with guitar, and some ptsd related symptoms. We always talk about the uke, but I have found when someone has potential the best thing is to put one in their hands. they wont bother looking for the right one and getting one etc.

I also invited him to come visit and we can jam etc as he gets comfortable with it.

it feels great to get someone else started on their Ukulele Journey. He was surprised and thrilled.

Aloha Olarte,
You have a tremendous big and generous heart, I know you have been going through some
Severe health issues like me too. It was and still is how it has Changed my perspective of life
And be more sensitive and kind to all, and probably my past mid life maturity mindset now. Good goings
Happy strummings man ... you're a good man

Top Bottom