Luthier in the making... UkAlele... My story starts here...

UkAlele

Reaction score
Hi Ukelele Underground,

Five years ago I started to play the guitar thinking it would be a refuge from the pressures of a demanding teaching job. Well, what actually happened was that through the guitar, I became introduced to the world of ukelele and this experience was to prove life changing for me.

I recently was unfortunately another victim of the modern work place who fell victim to burnout, anxiety and depression.

So what does this have to do with the ukelele?

Well, over the last five years I have developed my uke skills and collected one of each ukelele size from sopranino up to baritone. I regularly practised on each size and fell in love with my new skills, new ukes in my new 'UkeUniverse'.

Basically, when I felt I was in the darkest moment of depression, my ukes were always there for me. They became the musical melodious voice which continued to say I was special and could beat depression.

As part of my Uke depression recovery programme, I have slowly become interested in preparing to take my ukelele exams with the RGT London School of Music and also in building ukeleles. To date I have built one ukelele solid wood mahogany with cedar top. It sounds great and really chimes when played. I'm currently working on a sopranino Tahitian uke, a Hosco soprano and tenor mahogany uke from a ready made kit.

My short term ambition is to develop broader and more effective luthier skills and then to use the skills to build high quality affordable ukeleles. The wealth I gain from this experience may not necessarily be financial but will definitely be from the joy gained from making the instrument and then playing it.

UKELELES definitely do help you to recover from depression and to make career changes.

So what's next?... well that's all about me setting up and further developing my work studio and seeking more training. I hope to eventually teach ukelele, make instruments and inspire people to use it as a part of their depression recovery programme.

My last question which I need help with answering is:

If I made a Hosco soprano and tenor uke, how much could you sell each one for in a retailing situation?

Thanks for reading my post, I hope it made for an enjoyable short read. Enjoy and watch this space for the story follow on... UkAlele...

Last edited:
Many thanks, do you normally get many replies to a thread?

Indeed, you'll get at least two!

Welcome to UU, UkA. Your plan sounds awesome. As to your question: use the search function; you'll find a ton of threads about hobby builders, semi-pro builders, and professional luthiers who regularly sell here.

Cheers.

Welcome to UU!

Greetings and welcome. No place better for you to be. Lots of help here.

Welcome! I can't answer your retail questions but I did enjoy reading your intro (everyone loves a happy ending). Also, I (and I'm sure others) would love to see pics of your work and work-in-progress.

Top Bottom