NUD - Pono Mango Pineapple

steel rider

Reaction score
Just arrived so I only had a few minutes to play with it before having to get back to work. Feels and looks great though. Very light compared to my tenor and even my Fluke but that may largely be the electronics difference.

I can already tell I'm going to have to put new strings on - Blacklines, Worths, or PhD have worked on my tenors but this is my first concert other than the Eleuke which seems to have its own fret spacing ideas (that I like).

I like the wood grain a lot, especially on the left half of the front. I'm going to try shining it up just the slightest bit in hopes I get more of that yellow/orange color (like the photo in the case with the sunlight) and enhance the grain. Not going gloss though. And of course I'm going to add a pineapple inlay "sticker" on the head and fret markers!

For now just have to spend some time with it and get the feel of the smaller concert neck.

Aloha!

Attachments

• IMG_4105.jpg
    IMG_4105.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_4103.jpg
    IMG_4103.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_4102.jpg
    IMG_4102.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 86
Holy cow, that is some pretty mango!

I know this is blasphemous talk (and total crap since I too posted a NUD thread today) but really, if I had to have one uke and only one uke, I could be happy with a Pono, and really happy with that one.

Congrats!

I went with the MGTD mango tenor. Excellent ukes for the price, especially when you get them from HMS with the nice set-up.

Love the grain pattern. Pineapples are awesome. Enjoy!

Sweet lookin uke there! How does the mango compare to acacia with respect to its tonal qualities?

Congrats, I too like that circular grain pattern. Cool A great choice...try those Fremonts and let us know how they sound. They did amazing things for my Son's tenor necked mahogany concert pineapple.

Sweet lookin uke there! How does the mango compare to acacia with respect to its tonal qualities?

Thanks. Hard to compare the mango and acacia since the acacia is a tenor. There is a big difference with the tenor of course being much more deep. I definitely like them both.
One note is that the web sites say the pineapple gives the tone of a tenor due to the shape and increased volume for the size. I imagine the additional volume helps but I think that comparison would be a stretch.
The concert seems to have that brightness I was looking for - a mix of traditional uke sound and deeper tenor sound.
HMS setup and pickup install is excellent.

Lovely ukulele! I have been UASing for a pineapple-shaped instrument too, because it doesn't look like a small guitar, but I'm trying to resist. Looking at "ukulele p***" makes it much harder, though. :)

Top Bottom