Learning fingerpicking

Saldawop

Reaction score
Where do I find tabs for fingerpicking?Do they exist? I would like to try and learn, but all the tabs I see are chords only.

Wow Brenda, maybe I had better learn Twinkle Twinkle Little Star first :cool:

I am working on 20 Easy Fingerstyle Studies (book & CD) by Rob MacKillop. It gives right and left hand information and background and suggestions on the songs. I love Tears for Amalia and it was the first one I learned. I am super limited on practice time during the semester and these work well for me.

Remember, you can finger pick the chords of any song.

Without putting words in HBolte's mouth: if you know one or two fingerpicking patterns, you can apply those to any chord progression you find. It may not always sound as good and it likely will sound nothing like the original song but hey, it's good practice all the same.

So basically, like you see these patterns such as strings 3241 or inner outer strings (if that makes sense) just incorporate those picking patterns into the chord you are playing

So basically, like you see these patterns such as strings 3241 or inner outer strings (if that makes sense) just incorporate those picking patterns into the chord you are playing

Yes you are correct and that is a good way to get started. One pattern practiced over and over again till you know it in your sleep. Then apply it to a chord progress or song you already know, voila you are now fingerpicking.........easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Wow Brenda, maybe I had better learn Twinkle Twinkle Little Star first :cool:

Don't let the professional scare you. My first song was Corey's Always With Me on Low G. Took me about a month to learn.
Trust me, google Mike Lynch. His solo arrangement is very easy and sound just like the song. PM me I will send you a song sample if you are interested.
Here is a very easy site you can learn fingerpicking before buying any book.
Books are good but not for me. I have so many 'learning books' , never used any of it because I am a visual person. Just can't learn from books.

http://www.ezfolk.com/uke/Tutorials/Fingerpicking/fingerpicking.html

Yes you are correct and that is a good way to get started. One pattern practiced over and over again till you know it in your sleep. Then apply it to a chord progress or song you already know, voila you are now fingerpicking.........easy peasy lemon squeezy.

Thanks Saldawop and Dave!

Top Bottom