Looking back on NAMM 2015

pluck

Reaction score
This was my first year to (virtually) follow the annual NAMM show. I was struck by how many fancy ukes were on display. So I figure that either 1) it's like this every year - everyone pulls out all the stops for NAMM then afterwards goes back to business as usual OR 2) there really is a trend toward fancy ukes. I'd like to hear from anyone with some perspective on this. Thanks.

It's a little of both.

Obviously, any builder (no matter the instrument) wants to put their best foot forward and will pull out all the stops to make some jaw-dropping instruments for the NAMM show. You see this most often with guitar and bass builders, that they have a certain instrument that was made for the '12 NAMM show, that they then sell at a premium. With smaller builders, this isn't really a surprise at all and is something that you see on a regular basis in Hall E.

However, when you see such names as Kala, that are known for their quality mass-produced instruments, putting out higher end ukuleles with fancy tops and other accouterments, there is definitely a growing trend toward higher end instruments.

Pretty much all of the booths I stopped by had both standard line and high end displayed. NAMM is a place to show everything ya' got since it's supposed to be for buyers to make deals with manufacturers/distributors.

Many manufacturers will make a few show specials. They want to show the range of what they can do. They also want to attract attention to their booth. If you are a dealer and you sell something like Kanilea, chances are you've seen all their regular models and other than to say hello to a vendor aren't going to be that excited. The manufacturer wants to generate excitement.

One of my issues with NAMM is that a lot of stuff that is announced is not ready at NAMM time and a significant chunk of it will never actually be ready. There have been many products I've waited for and never seen. I cracked up at the interviewee who said that NAMM stands for "Not Available Maybe March".

Is admission limited to merchants and other industry types or can consumers and enthusiasts get in also?

Is admission limited to merchants and other industry types or can consumers and enthusiasts get in also?

It's not a consumer show. However, it's fairly easy to get a pass if you know someone in the industry.

I know they have a "Consumer Day" at the Summer NAMM (in July, in Nashville) but I'm not sure about Winter NAMM. I thought it was either Saturday or Sunday, but I heard this year they weren't letting ANYONE in without a pass.

The Anaheim show is only for members of NAMM. They do have a category for guests of members, but the member has to pay for each ticket.

Top Bottom