Leaving Ukes in cases in a storage POD

theblackox

Reaction score
Hey All, I've searched in the forum for an answer to my dilemma and while I have found some answers that are generally related to the situation, I haven't quite gotten what I was looking for.

So I am moving in March from San Francisco to Portland, Oregon and our stuff will be in one of those storage pods for about a month.

Would leaving my Ukes in their cases with humidifiers protect the wood from any damage? I'm afraid that wherever those pods are going to be stored it's not going to be in a temperature controlled environment and don't want to damage my instruments.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

You shouldn't have to worry about the humidity here in Portland - we have plenty of it. As for temperature, there shouldn't be any extreme cold temperatures in March through April. I keep a spruce 'uke in my car trunk year 'round (without a humidifier) and no cracks have developed. I have a hygrometer in the house and the reading hovers around 30% but I don't know what it would be in a pod. Hope this helps and welcome to Portland.

I'm sure your ukes will be fine. Personally, I would never leave my instruments in a storage pod. Everything else I own but not my ukes.

What kind of ukes are they? Are they replaceable? If they are replaceable, then you should be fine.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I have a beater Kala that I am definitely going to leave in the storage pod. After hearing from you all, I'm convinced that my Pono and Islander should stay nearby with me. I think I would regret finding them damaged in any way after opening the pods.
We're stoked to be moving back to Portland!

Top Bottom