Making heel cap purfling

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
Gluing up heel cap purflings- I like to do enough for 10 or so instruments.

I use 5 min epoxy (or West systems if im mixing up a batch anyway).

Using epoxy makes the sheets dry and stay flat.

If you try making a small batch with Titebond it will curl. Titebond is fine if your going to use it straight away.

Here im using 10 B/ 20 W/ 10B fiber (from RCtonewoods) to match my binding purfling (from stewmac)

10945371_768101393278576_5890802480678219293_n.jpg
10959876_768101463278569_6997212439923914595_n.jpg
10968341_768101509945231_8482765282995833850_n.jpg
1011765_768101536611895_8559988785542606954_n.jpg
10487357_768101626611886_7575486543880229116_n.jpg

That amount of clamping pressure seems on the weak side. The spring clamps really do not do much, when spread out across that much area, especially with 5 minute epoxy, as it will start to gel pretty quickly. No that it probably matters much, though. 30 minute epoxy in a vacuum bag. Then there is minimal glue remaining.

That amount of clamping pressure seems on the weak side. The spring clamps really do not do much, when spread out across that much area, especially with 5 minute epoxy, as it will start to gel pretty quickly. No that it probably matters much, though. 30 minute epoxy in a vacuum bag. Then there is minimal glue remaining.

These are only 6" long x 1" wide- 2 clamps probably would have been fine- they came out super flat
I mean already laminated.

MMMmmm...pre laminated.... (in homer simpson voice)

chuck- do you buy big sheets of pre laminated stuff then cut it it purfling, heel caps etc?? how much is a sheet??

I use thin acetone based adhesive on my BWBWB rosette laminations. :)..Works for me !

This is a great post because I did pretty much the same thing and got not so good results. I laminated with CA glue. It looked great until sand out when the lines got ragged and tiny sheets came off. I was very disappointed. I must have done something wrong, but the fiber stuff did not sand well for me at all. See below. Note ragged white line. (please ignore crappy healcap join to body. please)

DSCN5830.jpg

30 minute epoxy in a vacuum bag. Then there is minimal glue remaining.
I just sealed up my reservoir for my venturi vacuum yesterday. Making my bridge clamp now. This should be fun when I start doing preshaped braces, on a radius.

Yes, plan on doing some veneering as well. Got some carbon fiber sheets, maybe I'll see what kind of layups can be done.

Last edited:
I just sealed up my reservoir for my venturi vacuum yesterday. Making my bridge clamp now. This should be fun when I start doing preshaped braces, on a radius.

Yes, plan on doing some veneering as well. Got some carbon fiber sheets, maybe I'll see what kind of layups can be done.

I was thinking of going to go the vacuum clamping method for bridges on ukes- let us know how it all goes!

I was thinking of going to go the vacuum clamping method for bridges on ukes- let us know how it all goes!
When I'm done, I'll call it out of the box. . .

Tested it, with a makeshift clamp - I need to install the fitting in the frame, and not the rubber (the hose is too heavy for that small an area). Clamped a bridge blank to my bandsaw table, holy crap! I was concerned about "atmospheric pressure" not being enough, but I get it now. Is it needed? Probably not. Is it cool? Definitely!

If you have a good compressor, Joewoodworker.com has the plans. Veneer supplies has the parts (same guy). Less than $200 for the V2plus, unless you want to go with a pump, then less than $400. I should've bought the whole kit from them, instead of trying to piecemeal the fittings (was more $$$ in the end).

I'm making mine. I went with a venturi because I have a compressor, so I didn't need the pump. If I couldn't make the system, I probably wouldn't have bought it and just do without. But, this thing looks to be very cool.

Here is mine. I made it. The hose goes to a nice vacuum unit made by vacupress.

It seems SOOOOOOO much easier then clamping into small instruments- Tenors are just ok witht eh short stw mac clamps but concerts are frustrating.

Is it hard to make a bridge clamp like this ???????- What kind of material is needed on the face that touched the instrument?

Seems like a lot of fuss and expense just to clamp a bridge. Then again, I am not a tool freak and I only glue 4 bridges a month. As far as clamping on smaller sized ukes I've made my own cam clamps. Easy peasy.

Top Bottom