Humidity ? I Haven't Seen

BBQUKER

Reaction score
Heading to Hawaii for a month and am taking my Pono. So no humidity issues there. But I have to leave behind my Mainland. Humidity where it lives is between 30 and 40 % (I am in central Wisconsin). I use an Oasis humidifier but that will last only a week or so. Any ideas? I can put the Oasis that I use with the Pono in the front of the case outside of the soundhole. Maybe enough humidity in the case to last a month?

Dan

I'd case it with a humidifier, put it in the closet and enjoy a month in Hawaii. :D I live in the desert part of Oregon (yes...Oregon is 2/3 arid/desert/dry...go figure), I've personally never had an instrument self-destruct from becoming too dry. I do case my solids in the winter, with humidifiers ... but they've all gone months without, some are 30+ years old. So, a month away? Case it, take a precaution, and forget about it for a month. You could even put the case in plastic bag and seal it if you're concerned. I'm confident you'll come home to a Mainland ready to have you play her. And meet her new 4 stringed sister with sweet curves that you picked up in Hawaii :iwant:

Last edited:
There are a couple of YT videos showing some home made humidifiers that might last a little longer than an Oasis (which seems like some heat shrink tubing around a sponge)

A friend once told me that a musician he knew would pawn all of his guitars for as little as he could at a good pawn shop with a climate controlled room when ever he went out on the road, that way the instruments would be insured while he was away, and well taken care of until he got back. (I don't know if that is true or just "bar talk" but that's what I've heard.)

If you're in Central WI, I suspect you might be running your heat a bit these days. ;-) If so, I would guess your relative humidity in the house is lower than 30%. Are you referring to the inside humidity or outside humidity?

We keep talking about humidity, but I find that for all the ukes I've seen cracked (not mine, thank God), the problem was variations in temperature rather than in humidity. 30-40% is fine IMO, as long as it doesn't drop below that.

Couple of ideas if you're really worried
1) do you have a basement? they're typically more humid even in winter because they sit below the frost line.
2) You could get a rubbermaid tub, or one of those under bed storage boxes and leave it in there with a tub of water as a makeshift humidor, or a closet with a bucket of water on the floor depending on how sealed the door is.
3) 30% isn't that terrible. The card that comes with Pono's puts 30% at the low end, not necessarily in panic territory.
4) you could have someone baby sit your uke like a friend, or family member. Just shoot them an email once a week and remind them to add water or if they have a whole house humidifier, then just store it there.

Last edited:
+1 on babysitting. I put ceramic bowls filled with water on top of my heaters during winter, works like a charm. While I'm away, my neighbour pops by regularly to refill them.

If you're in Central WI, I suspect you might be running your heat a bit these days. ;-) If so, I would guess your relative humidity in the house is lower than 30%. Are you referring to the inside humidity or outside humidity?

The 30% is indoor relative humidity. Surprisingly (according to Accuweather) the outside relative humidity is 50% and the air temp is 10º.

I think I will just put both oasis humidifiers in the case and not worry about. Mahalo for the responses.

I'd case it with a humidifier, put it in the closet and enjoy a month in Hawaii. :D I live in the desert part of Oregon (yes...Oregon is 2/3 arid/desert/dry...go figure), I've personally never had an instrument self-destruct from becoming too dry. I do case my solids in the winter, with humidifiers ... but they've all gone months without, some are 30+ years old. So, a month away? Case it, take a precaution, and forget about it for a month. You could even put the case in plastic bag and seal it if you're concerned. I'm confident you'll come home to a Mainland ready to have you play her. And meet her new 4 stringed sister with sweet curves that you picked up in Hawaii :iwant:

On my list of things to possibly pick up in Maui.

If you are on Oahu, be sure to head up HMS on the North Shore. Ukulele Heaven. Great places to eat up there too. Ukulele Pua Pua in Waikiki is another nice place. Great food at the Moana Surf Rider!

Acacia wood seems to crack in the dark areas from what Ive noticed. I had 6 mostly laminate ukuleles sent to me from the late 90's early 2000's from Hawaii that all had protruding fret ends from drying out.

Something to think about.

Top Bottom