PDA

View Full Version : NUD: another TOM; laminate koa this time

drbekken
02-06-2015, 03:20 AM
http://youtu.be/-LVliGAeM-I

Ok, so I could not quite believe the quality of the laminated sapele TOM concert ukulele that I bought a few weeks ago. So, I ordered a laminate koa concert too. Here's my opinion.
NB: I give the wrong price here. It is about USD 70, not 40 as I wrongly state in the video. Still, it is unbelievable quality for the price. Check it out.

sam13
02-06-2015, 04:23 AM
Great value for sure ... where did you buy it from?

drbekken
02-06-2015, 04:47 AM
Great value for sure ... where did you buy it from?
ebay or www.tomukulele.com

sam13
02-06-2015, 07:46 AM
Funny I put Tom Ukulele in Google and didn't come up with their site. There aren't prices listed on the site ... very interesting though ... thanks.

pondweed
02-06-2015, 08:08 AM
so do they sound exactly the same, as they are laminate, by the same company and the same size?? Or is the laminate better quality?

drbekken
02-06-2015, 08:20 AM
so do they sound exactly the same, as they are laminate, by the same company and the same size?? Or is the laminate better quality?
I'm not sure I can prove this, but I somehow think the 'koa' uke is slightly more mellow. The set-up is great straight from the box. The action is a bit high at the saddle, but easy to fix. The intonation is fine, indeed.
I am not under the impression that this is as good as a solid wood uke. After all, I got a brain. Still, it is a very, very good inexpensive entry level ukulele.

Camsuke
02-06-2015, 10:24 AM
Nice review Doc, thanks for sharing.