What do I need...

freedive135

Reaction score
Ok I know its not a need but a want (or so she tells me)...

But the ????? is to the electric amped players out there that play that old school "Surf/Hot Rod" sound and yes the Guitar players can answer here too.

So what will I need as far as pedals go to get this type of sound out of a Tenor Uke?

Thanks!!!

Tremolo and reverb! Crank up the gain just enough to get some "bite" to your sound.

Ibanez had a pedal called the PT-4 and it would do the job fine. I sold mine a while back for $100 (originally a $300 pedal). I had mine for many years, but it was in mint condition. You can check EBay or Craig's List and see if anyone is selling one. I used mine in studio and on stage with acoustic guitars. I was made specifically for acoustic stringed instruments.

I'm with Haole here, Free Dive. I get that sound out of my Vox DA5 by setting the Style to Clean 2 and the Effects to Tremelo + Reverb. The levels, speeds and depth are all independently adjustable to match the song. I set the Master volume on full, the Gain and Tone at 6 o'clock. Ric

VoxDA5Top.jpg

VoxDA5Back.jpg

I'm with Haole here, Free Dive. I get that sound out of my Vox DA5 by setting the Style to Clean 2 and the Effects to Tremelo + Reverb. The levels, speeds and depth are all independently adjustable to match the song. I set the Master volume on full, the Gain and Tone at 6 o'clock. Ric

VoxDA5Top.jpg

VoxDA5Back.jpg

This is what I'm talking about. An example for the literacy challenged.

I LOVE the blues2 and Reverb settings. I don't even need to crank up the sound all that far. Ricdoug suggested this amp to me and he did good.:bowdown:

I get the Playboy channel for the articles.

they have articles??????????
me look at pretty ladies, make my tummy go funny

i use tremelo and reverb

Thanks for the help.

I needs to get me one of those Vox Da's.

My next ??? is going to be the old Solid or Laminate Uke?

I know, I know solids always sound better blah, blah, blah....

And I will always agree!!!!!

But for the distorted sound I am asking about, I am wondering with the tremelo, reverb and gain adjustments will it really be worth paying the price of a solid top...
or
will I be ok to just add a pickup to my Kala KA-T that I use for playin out in the low humidity hot Denver sunshine.

Once more thanks again for sharing the with the hive mind!!!!!

Last edited:
With enough amplification and effects, it won't matter too much what uke you use.

Colorado has killed many a solid-wood instrument. Best thing to do for solid-wood is maintain a controlled humidity room.

Top Bottom