swapping tuners

Barton

Reaction score
I asked this in the general forum a while back and didn't get an exact answer, so I figured I would try it here. Does anyone know of a decent set of friction tuners that would be a direct swap (no drilling) for the grover sta-tite geared tuners? I'm hoping maybe the luthiers who are regularly installing tuners might know. Thanks.

To my knowledge, all friction tuner posts are all tapered, whereas the Grover sta-tite (weird name if you ask me) are a straight 1/4" drill job.

Grover Sta-Tites also have a bushing that is close to 9mm counterbored into the top face. 1/4" for the rest.

I don't do friction tuners at all, so you will need to work out from the specs. of the particular tuners if this is going to be an option.

It will probably be hard to find friction tuners (as opposed to tapered pegs) that will fit the Grover holes. A luthier might drill out and taper the holes, glue-in a tapered plug, then re-drill to the size needed for the friction tuners. The Grover geared tuners are probably better than friction tuners to begin with because they are so much easier to use.

Thanks for all the info. I know the geared tuners are supposed to be better than the friction tuners, but I've never had any problems with friction tuners on any of my other ukes. My issue is, for whatever reason, I don't like the looks of the tuning pegs sticking out the side. But it's a pretty decent uke and for such an insignificant reason I don't want to start drilling and altering it. I think I'll just keep it the way it is. It is only aesthetic and it is easier to tune with the geared tuners.

Barton,
Are you asking about replacing your Grovers with solid rosewood friction tuners, or mechanical friction tuners, I am unclear from your original post. It might be possible to get something mechanical to match the holes made for the Grovers. I also prefer the look of backwards facing tuners rather that the "sticky out ears" look of sideways, geared ones.
Max

Yesterday I replaced Grover's on my Martin C1K with friction tunes I purchased from Mainland ($20!). http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=18 These are excellent tuners, and the swap was a piece of cake. I used a "drift" the size of the hole from the back side, a tap or two with a rubber mallet and the old bushings popped right out (layed the uke upside down on my bed and thick blankets). I'm very happy with the result. Just about have the tension set where I want it...letting the strings settle in a bit so I know I'm not getting them tighter than necessary. Here's a photo. Go for it!

martin1.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, that is the swap I was talking about. Mechanical friction tuners, not tapered wooden ones. Just wasn't sure about taking out the old bushings and if the new ones would fit. Since it seemed to work so well on the C1K I went ahead and gave it a try. Stopped at the local uke shop on the way home from work and picked up some grover friction tuners and swapped them out after dinner. Very quick and easy. I tapped out the old bushings with the back side of a drill bit and a rubber mallet with no damage to the uke. The new ones seem to be working fine, I like the looks better and they seem lighter. Although maybe the ability to feel the weight difference is in my head. Anyway, thanks for all the info. Bart

Top Bottom