Fremont Squeakless on baritone?

Captain Simian

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to restring one of my baritones with a C tuning set (the new Aquila Black Lava set) but want to go with a low G. Will a Fremont squeakless string fit on a 19" scale instrument? Will the tension be sufficient?

I also have a coupe of D'Addario flatwound strings (.032 & .028) that I'm thinking about using. Any thoughts or experiences doing this?

I tried this same string and found the tension to be too high for my liking, as the low-g, tuning a bari in GCEA linear.

the Fremont string in question is an 0.027", which may do better as the C string at the longer scale length, and you might find that a classical wound string closer to 0.035" or 0.040" has better tension/feel and tone and might intonate better as the low-g on a ~19" scale length in this tuning.

I really do not want a wound string, I don't like the squeaking.

The Fremont says it's a .030 on the packaging. I'm wondering if the .032 would work better now? I like a little bit tension because I'm more of a strummer\fingerpicker.

I tried Fremont squeakless on my 19" bari as a low g, but tension was higher than my liking.

Usually I use Worth baritones for no wound, dgbe tuning. In the spirit of some recent string experiments, esp. comparing the gauges with worth tenors, I decided to put Worth tenors on my 19" bari instead and used the Fremont squeakless for the fourth, tuned dgbe. Works great! Tension is very nice.

As another option, Ken Middleton (Living Water, all fluorocarbon strings) can put together a gCEA set or GCEA set for your baritone. It's one of his custom options. Check it out here. I'm currently using his re-entrant dGBE set (non-custom) and like it a lot.

If it is non-wound you're looking for, then my choice would be the Aquila RED low-G for tenor.
The tension is quite light on a tenor, so it should feel perfect on a baritone.

I would avoid any of the unwound fluorocarbon low-G strings, such as Worth. They're thick, floppy and awful in my experience...

I decided to put Worth tenors on my 19" bari instead and used the Fremont squeakless for the fourth, tuned dgbe. Works great! Tension is very nice.

How would you describe the tension? I tend to like a firmer tension but not so firm I can't do an occasional bend.

As another option, Ken Middleton (Living Water, all fluorocarbon strings) can put together a gCEA set or GCEA set for your baritone. It's one of his custom options. Check it out here. I'm currently using his re-entrant dGBE set (non-custom) and like it a lot.

I've never tried Living Waters. I may have to give those a shot.

If it is non-wound you're looking for, then my choice would be the Aquila RED low-G for tenor.
The tension is quite light on a tenor, so it should feel perfect on a baritone.

I would avoid any of the unwound fluorocarbon low-G strings, such as Worth. They're thick, floppy and awful in my experience...

Nope. Every low G red Aquila I've ever had popped on me within days, even ones dated as recently as October 2014. The high G sets I've had no problem with though.

I agree with you on the Worth Browns. They were on a long neck Ohana soprano I got a few weeks back and I just didn't like them. A bit too mushy for my tastes.

How would you describe the tension? I tend to like a firmer tension but not so firm I can't do an occasional bend.

I like looser tension overall. It's definitely firmer than the unwound worth 4th, but I can still bend with it.

I wish there was a better way to express the tension that could be measured by hand. Like, with the set on my 19" bari now (worth tenors with a fremont squeakless wound 4th, tuned dgbe), at the 12th fret I can easily bend each string over to touch the next closest string, but no further.

Actually that's a perfect way to describe the tension. That may be a little too light for me. I like to dig into my bends, fight for the note.

Top Bottom