Palm Springs Ukulele Festival

KohanMike

Los Angeles, Beverly Grove West
UU VIP
Reaction score
Last edited:
Sorry you couldn't make it, Mike. I'm here. Anyone else?

I must not like the uke too much. I'm debating on going to the ones in LA and I'm only 30 mins away! hahaha

I must not like the uke too much. I'm debating on going to the ones in LA and I'm only 30 mins away! hahaha

Probably the right choice this time. Traffic was horrible Friday. Took me 4.25 hours to get here from Santa Monica. But, the concert tonight made it all worthwhile. All the instructors played four songs each and then Victoria Vox performed. What a talent. And it was good fun when Michael Powers joined her on a song and they dueled using her mouth horn and him using a pedal to make his uke sound like a horn. It was such a display of musical talent and they appeared to have a lot of fun doing it.

The other highlight was getting to play another 5 Kinnards and meeting John himself. I've now played about 13-15 Kinnards. Besides another two tenors, this time I got to play the new soprano, the new tenor 4 string guitar (braced for steel strings, not nylon) and the 19" baritone. Again, all perfectly finished and lovely tones.

There is only one session tomorrow, so I've decided to head back very early tomorrow am so as to bypass any risk of traffic!

I was looking forward to seeing the head of my uke group perform, Cali Rose and her husband Craig Brandau, but I'll have to save that for the Santa Monica Festival.

Cali and Craig put on an entertaining four song set as well. I'd never seen either one and she has a very impressive vocal range.

Brad and Jason from U Space were were impressive, too. I had heard Brad was quite the percussionist but this is the first I heard him. Michael Powers had him come back up for an impromptu jam on a jazzed up version of Hotel California. That was awesome.

Cali played a song for our group on Thursday that was so good, I told her I have to video her so I can put it on YouTube.

Top Bottom