RockSchool SE1E07: Reggae

redpaul1

Reaction score
Back in 1983, the BBC put out a series called RockSchool, an introduction to playing guitar, bass & drums in a variety of different styles.
(the 8 episodes were 1: Introduction, 2: Tuning, 3: Techniques, 4: R&B and Blues, 5: Heavy Metal, 6: Funk, 7: Reggae, 8: The Future, 9: Q's & A's).

In 1985, NYC's PBS station, WNET, picked up the series for broadcast in the States, putting it in a wrapper with Herbie Hancock introducing each episode. A few years ago, someone uploaded the reggae episode (7), but at that time, YT limitations on length of uploads meant it had to be uploaded in 3 separate 10-minute segments. Not only that but the third of these uploads was at a different (and incorrect), screen resolution.

I've downloaded these 3 segments, rectified the screen resolution in part 3 and spliced them back together. I left out the Herbie Hancock intro (where he just natters about how he first discovered reggae and how it's harder to play than you might think), but he does pop up again just before the outro.

Anyway, this, IMO, is the best introduction to how to play reggae there is out there. No ukuleles, obviously, but it's invaluable in breaking down how the sound is constructed. All you have to do is take those hints combine them all on your little ukulele :)

Based on this video, I put together a couple of reggae tutorials for ukulele for Season 130 of the Ukulele. I'll put them up on the tips forum.

RockSchool Series 1 & 2 playlists

If anyone's interested in watching the whole series, I've put together a playlist here (each episode in 3*10 minute segments though):

RockSchool Series 1 (1983)
Episode 1: Introduction
Episode 2: Tuning
Episode 3: Techniques
Episode 4: R&B and Blues
Episode 5: Heavy Metal
Episode 6: Funk
Episode 7: Reggae
Episode 8: The Future
Episode 9: Q's & A's

In 1987, the BBC put out a 2nd series. This 2nd series added Keyboards to the original Guitar, Bass, Drums lineup; and also looked at 'New' Technologies; at Vocals; and at playing as a band. Funnily enough, or rather predictably enough (as nothing dates quicker than the future ;) ), this 2nd series looks more dated than the first, but it still contains a lot of useful material (each episode again in 3*10 minute segments):

RockSchool Series 2 (1987)
Episode 1: Keyboards: Acoustic Piano, History of the Synthesiser, How Synths Work
Episode 2: MIDI, Synthesisers, samplers, sequencers & drum machines
Episode 3: Synthpop, Scales and Vocal Technique & Health
Episode 4: Soloing: Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Keyboards, Drums
Episode 5: Guitar & Bass Synthesisers, Synthaxe, Digital Synthesisers, Electronic Drum Kits
Episode 6: Techniques: Keyboard, Drums Guitar & Bass
Episode 7: Orchestration: Techniques, Harmonies, Sampling, for Guitars & for Bass
Episode 8: Song Structure & Arrangements: Drums, Basslines, Keyboards, Guitar, Vocals

Top Bottom