Handmode Leather Uke Strap

deschutestrout

Reaction score
Hey gang! I mentioned in a recent "strap-related" thread that I was in the process of making my own, and some showed interest in seeing what I was up to. Considering making these available via custom orders depending on the level of interest. Not sure what I'd charge for something like this...the hand tooling on this one is a fair amount of work (fun work!). I think it turned out pretty cool :D.

ukestrap1.jpg
ukestrap2.jpg
ukestrap3.jpg

That's very nice!!! I bet you could sell a lot of those! People always like handmade, one of a kind, items like this! You could look on Etsy to see what comparable straps go for!

I'm looking for a strap that does not require buttons on my uke. I think I'm going to make my own...when I can get around to it.

Your strap is really neat and I encourage you to pursue making more, if that is something you are considering!

How wide is it? I look for straps that are no more than 1" wide.

It's interesting to see your post on here today. I have been making my own leather uke strap as well. It will hopefully be done in a day or two. It looks to be about the same width as yours, but your looks to be a little thicker leather. I do a fair amount of leatherwork, but I've never made a uke strap so it was a bit of a learning process. I always enjoy crafting out of leather, provided I have the time...as I'm sure you, know it's a slow process. Your uke strap looks great!

It's interesting to see your post on here today. I have been making my own leather uke strap as well. It will hopefully be done in a day or two. It looks to be about the same width as yours, but your looks to be a little thicker leather. I do a fair amount of leatherwork, but I've never made a uke strap so it was a bit of a learning process. I always enjoy crafting out of leather, provided I have the time...as I'm sure you, know it's a slow process. Your uke strap looks great!

I hope that you start a thread and post a picture of your's when you get done! I love seeing people's creations!

Nice work. What's the thickness on that strap?

Leather is measured in 64th of an inch. Belt leather is usually 7-8 or 8-9. Tooled belts I do from 10-12 . Billfold weight is 3-4. By using billfold weight (yes it will hold a uke) you can make an adjustable strap out of leather and still use standard sliders and squares. The tooling can be just as distinct and beautiful, one just uses a lighter mallet and less pressure. Do you know about
The Hide and Leather House in Napa ,California? Great leather selection and good pricing, also. I have dealt with them for 35 years. Their CEO was my first route salesman from the company.
The earthquake really gave them a thrashing, but they are back in business bigger and better.

Top Bottom