NUD: Aiersi tenor SU-076P all laminate

Reaction score
More than adequate for my modest abilities. Seems well made. A little bit of glue visible inside, but no effect on sound. Very pretty. I'm breaking in the 'new nylgut' strings and it's sounding very nice indeed.

15867766333_f8d86d895b_c.jpg
[/url]IMG_1213 by brucemoffatt, on Flickr[/IMG]

Congratulations! Very nice looking wood in that uke....more pics!

Congratulations! Very nice looking wood in that uke....more pics!

Hi Nickie. It looks sweet. It's all laminate, no solid wood at all in the back, sides or neck. I am happy to have a uke like that. I do have a nice solid wood uke on the wish list but money is tight. Maybe one day...

Closing the loop on this new uke purchase. I've had it now for nearly two weeks and it's time to make a judgement about a Chinese made all-laminate uke.

The Aquila 'New Nylgut' strings have had a bit of work now and the uke has had a little bit of time to aclimatise and settle down. I've promised that I'll do a private concert this thursday for a bunch of blokes that I help look after, and have a bit of a mixed repertoire from their requests: Everybody Loves Somebody Sometime, The Anniversary Waltz, You'll Never Walk Alone, To Make You Feel My Love, Leaning On A Lamp Post, When I'm Cleaning Windows, Reminiscing. I had a full rehearsal this evening on the front verandah of a friend's house, to see whether I'll be ready for Thursday.

I started out using a soft-thumb strum and changed over to a full-bark strum as it quickly became obvious that the sound needed to project more than I was pushing it. This was a good thing. The new uke stood up and gave what was necessary, and held a sweet, rich and full-flavoured tone when it was pushed hard. No twangs, buzzes or sour tones.

I'm happy to say this tenor uke is a real keeper. The neck is very comfortable in the left hand. It's very nicely set up and a joy to play, and according to the audience tonight it's delightful to listen to when played to its strengths. It cost a mere $AU156 including dellivery, which at today's exchange rates is something like $US122. It's bang for buck that's hard to argue with, and I'm now looking forward to comparing it with more expensive tenor ukes to see where it might fit.

I have no financial interest in the company that makes or sells these. I found them on the net and took a chance.

Still in love with my new uke.

I have quite corrosive perspiration - don't know how that works. So I clean and polish my ukes fairly regularly to avoid losing patches of finish on the front where my forearm rests. I use a lemon oil thing, quick frets or something like that, and a microfibre cloth, then wipe down hard with a paper towel to take off any surplus oil. The uke is 'natural' satin finish. So yesterday while I was polishing the back and sides it looks like there's a nice subtle bit of figure in the acacia laminate. Not garish, and as it's the back will pretty much be only obvious to me, but a nice added touch of elegance.

As for the sound, it continues to develop as I get used to this uke. I played through 90% of my current practice set for my daughter last night, and got some lovely comments from her. I think the uke is drawing a bit more out of me than I've been used to showing when I play/sing. Another bonus.

Did i say i'm in love with this uke? ;)

Nice Uke! I scored a KPK soprano off Jack at Ukulele place as my first solid wood ukulele and I could not be happier with it. I was so impressed by the setup and how he does business that I pulled the trigger on a Aiersi spruce top concert. How to resist the UAS.....

Congratulations. Let the music begin!

The Nylgut strings may take a while to break in, [in my experience they seem to take forever] but eventually they will settle down and start to hold a tuning. Patience is key.

I wantd a roundback composit with a solid top because of the maintenance free aspects.I really wanted an Aiersi Mahogany Top Ovation style uke. But couldn't find any for sale. I sent 3 emails to AiersiUSA and did not get a reply. I even sent a PM the UU member who works for Aiersi and did not get a reply. i've never had such a hard time spending some money!

I endd up buying a NOS Ovation UA10. Should be here anyday now.

Top Bottom