Old/New Uke Day - Ohta San

Katz-in-Boots

Reaction score
Oooh, it came about a week earlier than I expected!
I received this through UU member Guitharsis from Bernunio Music.

Cedar top, pretty Koa back & sides, ebony fetboard & bridge. Not love at first sight - I knew it didn't have all the gorgeous abalone bling I like, but it is very pretty. I couldn't get a photo that did justice to the flamed koa & MOP inlay on the headplate.

View attachment 75946View attachment 75947View attachment 75948View attachment 75949View attachment 75950

Wasn't love at first strum either. I let it sit an hour or so to acclimatise, then tuned it up and tried it out. It took about 15 minutes before the ring started to open up and the love started to set in. Now I've got that smug "new uke day" grin.

Can't wait to try different strings on it though; I really do not like the wound low G, it sounds like a guitar and it squeaks.

One thing, the space between frets is even longer than my Kanile'a, although the bodies are almost identical in size. Is the Ohta San a tenor neck, or somewhere between concert & tenor?

Cedar top, pretty Koa back & sides, ebony fetboard & bridge. Not love at first sight - I knew it didn't have all the gorgeous abalone bling I like, but it is very pretty. I couldn't get a photo that did justice to the flamed koa & MOP inlay on the headplate.

View attachment 75946View attachment 75947View attachment 75948View attachment 75949View attachment 75950

Wasn't love at first strum either. I let it sit an hour or so to acclimatise, then tuned it up and tried it out. It took about 15 minutes before the ring started to open up and the love started to set in. Now I've got that smug "new uke day" grin.

Can't wait to try different strings on it though; I really do not like the wound low G, it sounds like a guitar and it squeaks.

One thing, the space between frets is even longer than my Kanile'a, although the bodies are almost identical in size. Is the Ohta San a tenor neck, or somewhere between concert & tenor?

Congrats and welcome to the Ohta-San club! I've got similar flamed koa on my headplate.

The neck is right in the middle of concert and tenor - 15 15/16" scale length (concert is 15" and tenor is 17").

For low G, I recommend the Fremont Soloist "squeakless" strings.

OOOH Congrats Katz in Boots! I've wanted an Ohta-San ever since I first picked one up at TBUG last fall....I've read here on UU that it's a very good choice for playing Classical music on. I think the rope binding is very nice, a uke like that probably doesn't need a lot of bling, once you realize how well it plays.

I love my Kamaka Ohta-San. I'm so glad I got mine with the cedar top!

Congrats! I would like to buy the Ohta-san too at some point.

For low G, I recommend the Fremont Soloist "squeakless" strings.

Thanks, that explains the fret difference nicely. I have Fremonts on order, including their soloist low G

OOOH Congrats Katz in Boots! I've wanted an Ohta-San ever since I first picked one up at TBUG last fall....I've read here on UU that it's a very good choice for playing Classical music on. I think the rope binding is very nice, a uke like that probably doesn't need a lot of bling, once you realize how well it plays.

There is an all koa one at HMS AND another cedar/koa one... And yes, it does seem good for the purpose.

Last edited:
Yeah, the Otah San is my favorite Kamaka. Was this one at Bernunzio? I may have played it. If so, check it for drool.

Congratulations super ukulele, I cannot believe D sold her ohta san.. you scored
Happy strummings so you bought it through bernuzio, music?

Happy to hear that the Ohta-San arrived safely and sooner than expected! Bernunzio's ships all over the world. so I was confident they would be able to ship it to you safely and within a good time frame. The photos on the Bernunzio site may show off the gorgeous koa and MOP inlay more. www.bernunzio.com

Edit: Your pics are actually very good.

Last edited:
Congrats on your new Ohta-San. A little birdie told me that it was on the way to you. :) Enjoy!

Great choice! I like the rope with the cedar/koa combo, and I don't usually like rope. It brings all the colors together.

I cannot believe D sold her ohta san.. you scored
Happy strummings so you bought it through bernuzio, music?

Yes, through Bernunzio. I believe D may have another ohta san ...

Great choice! I like the rope with the cedar/koa combo, and I don't usually like rope. It brings all the colors together.

I'm not a fan of rope either, especially on darker wood but it looks okay on the lighter cedar.

Wow, and I've been saying I've never seen a used one for sale. Great that you got one. I love the Ohta-San in Koa, never had a chance to play a cedar topped one. I like rope binding if it is well done. It belongs on the Ohta-San.

Top Bottom