PDA

View Full Version : What was your SECOND uke?

cptdean
02-09-2015, 04:23 PM
I'm just starting out on my first ukulele purchase, and I know I'll make the best decision I can based on what I currently think is a good blend of price, features, and name. But, like every other venture, I'm sure I'll have a much different mindset a few months after I buy, and that will lead me toward something new.

In other words, I doubt my first Luke will be my last.

I've seen a load of comments from established members to newcomers that "X" or "Y" brand/model would make a great "first" ukulele. My question is, what was your SECOND uke? The one you bought after you knew a little better what you were doing, or after you felt your tastes matured a bit.

Thanks!

janeray1940
02-09-2015, 04:25 PM
It took me until my *fifth* uke to figure out what I needed - the first four got re-homed pretty quickly. The fifth was my Kamaka HF-2 concert, which I've played almost daily since I got it 5+ years ago.

(The previous 4 ukes, in order of acquisition: Ohana SK-10S, vintage Columbia mahogany soprano, Koaloha Pikake soprano, Kamaka HF-1 soprano.)

connor013
02-09-2015, 04:29 PM
I started off with an LU-21, and after a few months I made the jump to a KPK -- solid wood, good price, Jason was great to work with.

I've owned quite a few ukes since then, but I don't know that I've ever been more excited than buying my second uke. Great thread.

Ukulele Eddie
02-09-2015, 04:45 PM
My second uke was a Covered Bridge, Claro Walnut Body and Western Red Cedar top. It was one of richest sounding ukes I've played. While I have regretted selling it, I am enjoying the journey of rotating in and out of ukes (a necessity as I'm limited to 2-3 for the time being, though I can temporarily go above that). I've already owned 17 ukes and have been playing about 18 months.

pinkuke
02-09-2015, 04:49 PM
I would agree with Janeray. You're still pretty clueless with uke #2. Mine was a pink Makala dolphin, which I found appealing and cute but ended up being rehomed pretty quickly because you don't know what you're doing yet. Uke # 8 or 9 was the Kamaka Ohta San purchase after obtaining an intermediate skill level. My advice is to buy well, listen to the wisdom of UU for your first purchase and practice, practice, practice! Wisdom comes with experience :)

sukie
02-09-2015, 04:50 PM
My second ukulele was a KoAloha concert. They are really nice instruments, I think.

vcs700s
02-09-2015, 04:55 PM
My second uke was a Kala Soprano with solid spruce top and spalted maple back and sides. I liked it so much I bought the concert and tenor models too. Satin finish and beautiful bright tone.

I have been playing the soprano all night. Love it!

deschutestrout
02-09-2015, 04:59 PM
My second uke was actually a slight step down from my first...I wanted something a bit more durable for camping, etc. So I got a laminate Kala. I later gifted that one and recently traded the first. Have fun with the process! I know I am :D

Nickie
02-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Mine was a Cordoba, a laminate concert size. It was perfect for me at the time. A friend of mine still plays it, with a lo G. The neck was purrrrfect.

stevepetergal
02-09-2015, 05:32 PM
My second ukulele was a KoAloha concert. They are really nice instruments, I think.

In fact, about ten high-end ukuleles later, it's the one to which I compare all others.

sukie
02-09-2015, 05:46 PM

In fact, about ten high-end ukuleles later, it's the one to which I compare all others.

At NAMM I got to play a KoAloha Pineapple Sundae. Holy Mother of God! I had never thought much of them. Was I wrong. Ever tried one, Steve?

Back on topic......sorry.

ksiegel
02-09-2015, 05:48 PM
The second uke I bought was my Kala Cedar Top. which I bought from MGM, sight unseen, on his recommendation, based on my budget.

More bling than any of my other ukes, but with a sound that is unbeatable.

It was my #1 player, until I got my KoAloha Sceptre, which was my number one until I got the Custom Built Bradford Donaldson Concert Ukulele.

But any of my top 10 ukuleles are wonderful players, and I don't want to part with them for any reason.

-Kurt

KamakOzzie
02-09-2015, 06:45 PM
My second uke was the Kamaka soprano in my avatar (Ozzie).It is a sweet Gold Label from the 60's. It has a chop that will hold its own in a bluegrass jam.

The first was a Vineyard solid mahogany concert which I still have. It is my travel uke when I go places that I don't want to take the Kanilea.

Bill

Ukebum
02-09-2015, 07:41 PM
I just got my second uke a few days ago. It's an Ohana TK-50G. I figure it's a good halfway point between my old Lanikai and the Kanilea that I hope to have someday.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
02-09-2015, 07:46 PM
I was forlorn after my first uke (a lovely Lyon & Healy Camp Uke Christmas-present uke) had its second bad fall, breaking badly.

It took me months to consider buying another ukulele. Once I started shopping, it took me months to find (on craigslist) my second uke, a used Kamaka HF-1. My KK is just right for me---four years after bringing it home, I play it nearly every day.

kohanmike
02-09-2015, 07:59 PM
My first uke was a Mahalo that I bought on a whim because it looked like my Fender Telecast electric guitar, but within a week of playing it, I found it to be too small. In researching, I learned about sizes and decided tenor is right for me, so I went to a store and bought my second, a Lanikai quilted ash cutaway with electronics that I immediately replaced.

Being caught up in UAS, I went through another four in three months, until I improved enough and traded in three of them for the Kala cedar top by Mim's recommendation. After going through 12 ukes, it's been my best sounding and playing uke, even against my three customs.

hammer40
02-09-2015, 08:56 PM
My second uke was a Big Island (spalted) Mango. I still have it, beautiful to look at and just a wonderful sound as well.

Tigeralum2001
02-09-2015, 09:04 PM
My second uke was a 1940s Martin Tenor. It sounded and played great and started me down the path of higher end ukes. The only thing I didn't like about that uke was the friction tuners. I didn't want to alter it by putting modern tuners on, so I eventually sold it.

It is a slippery slope, UAS. My advice is to just buy your dream uke and get it over with.

hollisdwyer
02-09-2015, 09:21 PM
My second was a Kala sitka/leopardwood, all solid tenor. A really nice Uke for the AUS$300ish that I paid. It was sold when I purchased my Mike Periera Sinker Redwood/Black Walnut tenor. At that point I never thought that I'd need more than one Uke, Ha!

DownUpDave
02-09-2015, 11:51 PM
This is an excellent thread. The second uke seems to be a gateway into a better and more expensive uke but not neccassarily the absolute right one.

My first was a Gretsch laminate tenor, good uke and I still own it. My second was a Pete Howlett custom koa tenor I bought used off of Doc J right here in the Marketplace. Side note............buying used from members here is a great way to get your first, second, tenth or twenty first uke. Had a very slim neck, came to realize I don't like slim necks. Sold it after 4-5 montns

kvehe
02-10-2015, 12:03 AM
The second uke I ordered/purchased was a Kiwaya KTC-3.

Papa Tom
02-10-2015, 02:27 AM
I got my second uke as a gift and it was just another soprano, but of a little better quality. The second uke I actually purchased for myself was a banjo uke, which hasn't gotten as much use as I thought it would.

bnolsen
02-10-2015, 02:36 AM
My first was a mahalo which I ultimately gifted to my then 2 year old son. My second was a yellow burst makala dolphin ordered from a "setup shop" that I quickly figured was the worst ukulele I'd seen yet (at least the neck was straight)...which led me to my 3rd uke: a concert fluke.

wayfarer75
02-10-2015, 02:53 AM
My first uke is a Kala KA-S. It's a very nice little uke for the money, but really only good for strumming while singing. I realized I didn't want to be a strummer (also why I'm not in any uke groups), and got a Kelii concert for my second uke. Wonderful sustain for fingerpicking, and I decided to string it low G. That led me to my third uke, another soprano, this time a Kamaka pineapple. This is my high G fingerpicker, but it's telling me it wants to play chord solos too, so I'm going to finally figure that out.

I keep thinking I want to get a tenor size, string that low G and make my concert high G again. But then I wonder why I should bother, especially when I'm making such nice music with the Kelii and the Kamaka. Or I think, should I get a baritone for a more guitar-like sound? Round and round it goes with UAS....

UkerDanno
02-10-2015, 03:12 AM
My second was a Kala KA-CEM, because I decided to move to concert size, wish I still had it!
I sold it when I got my Martin C1K and that one is a keeper!

HBolte
02-10-2015, 03:40 AM
Second was my sweet Kanile'a KPE-C.

deschutestrout
02-10-2015, 04:27 AM
Okay OP, question is...what's gonna be your FIRST uke? What's your budget?

Icelander53
02-10-2015, 04:43 AM
Here's a cautionary tale. My second uke was a Pono Hog. The entry level model. I was a bit ahead of myself and when I got it it played so differently from my Lanikai that I didn't like it. I sent it back post haste only to realize a few months of experience down the road that there was nothing wrong with the instrument. Live and learn. I now own two upper end Pono's and about 8 other ukes to boot. (Have a Godin on the way as I type)

So... When in the beginning phase of uke playing I think the most valuable piece of advice I have to give is remember that what you don't understand is far far greater than what you do. Take your time, trust to your own taste knowing it's temporary, learn from others but don't consider them gospel. And finally, never underestimate a Pono.

mattydee
02-10-2015, 04:45 AM
My second Uke was a Kala solid acacia concert - my first foray to the relatively roomier fretboard. I bought it from MGM a few months after my first (an Ohana SK-10, which I still have, mostly out of sentiment.)

That Kala has long since passed on from my home, but it was the true beginning of a wonderful journey of buying and selling Ukes to find the right ones for me. I have found myself in a good holding pattern since purchasing my vintage Martin S1 last summer. There are a couple of things that still catch my eye now and again --I'm considering a cheap solid body steel string electric, then there's that pineapple Sunday that Sukie mentioned, and certainly I'd love a custom MB one day, some day. But for now, with my Talsma custom concert, my Martin, my 8string Tenor and my Mainland Bari, plus a couple of hangers on (which I may be able to let go of soon...), I feel pretty content.

Tommy B
02-10-2015, 04:48 AM
My second uke was a Fluke. It was leaps and bounds over my first uke, a POS $30 Hilo. But because it didn't look conventional, I quickly bought my third uke: a vintage Martin tenor. And that's when my slide into UAS began...

Icelander53
02-10-2015, 04:49 AM
Hey Matty even though I just ordered a Godin chambered solid I can't get the Vorsons out of my head. It's a solid with steel strings and the reviews have been stellar that I've seen and they all come in at around $95-140. So if you are looking for a solid electric be sure to check them out. AMS seems to have some great prices.

keod
02-10-2015, 05:07 AM
When in the beginning phase of uke playing I think the most valuable piece of advice I have to give is remember that what you don't understand is far far greater than what you do. Take your time, trust to your own taste knowing it's temporary, learn from others but don't consider them gospel.

Excellent advice, especially if you are new to music instruments in general. It takes time to develop your "ears" to recognize tone, your "muscle" to develop memory and for you to get a sense of what "feels" right to you (scale, neck, body size etc). And it will change as you develop skill. It's taken 6 ukes so far for me to figure this out. I probably could have shortened the learning journey if there were local stores (or friends) with more selection to try.
I tell myself daily to stop looking for the "next" perfect uke to buy because I know my preference will continue to change as I am still early in the learning curve.

Icelander53
02-10-2015, 06:06 AM
That's it and as you say especially for the beginner, which I still consider myself. The learning curve is half the fun and don't begrudge the ukes that didn't quite work out and the money gone forever. Learning costs money. Go to college and see. You need books, tuition, etc. So don't ever get down on yourself for making mistakes as it's the most important part of the process. But lets not make stupid mistakes or make the same ones over and over. Not all mistakes are unavoidable.

Peterjens
02-10-2015, 06:21 AM
My question is, what was your SECOND uke? The one you bought after you knew a little better what you were doing, or after you felt your tastes matured a bit.

KoAloha soprano. This purchase was based purely upon my desire to own a Hawaiian-made koa ukulele made by Hawaiians. No regrets.

Hippie Dribble
02-10-2015, 06:24 AM
A "Royal" concert. Spruce top, mahogany body, geared tuners. Sold at a local shop and I loved that uke so much. Played it to sawdust for nearly 3 years and never wanted for anything else that is, until I discovered the UU marketplace board and FMM. How different things could have been...

CanuckUkeMaui
02-10-2015, 11:16 AM
My second ukulele was a Mele 6 string concert with Koa top and mahogany back and sides bought on Maui. My second Uke was supposed to be a Kamaka pineapple but the seller was holding for 30 days for a buyer and I couldn't wait...then after I bought the Mele he backed out and I bought the Kamaka also ... I really needed them both :music:
Aloha
Terry

hendulele
02-10-2015, 11:31 AM
My second uke was actually a slight step down from my first...I wanted something a bit more durable for camping, etc. So I got a laminate Kala. I later gifted that one and recently traded the first. Have fun with the process! I know I am :D

Same here. I found a Kohala laminate for $25 at GC and couldn't resist. It lives on the wall of my office and gets picked up every now and then for a strum (sometimes by me!).

Pueo
02-10-2015, 12:40 PM
I started off with an LU-21, and after a few months I made the jump to a KPK -- solid wood, good price, Jason was great to work with.

I've owned quite a few ukes since then, but I don't know that I've ever been more excited than buying my second uke. Great thread.

Hee Hee this is pretty similar to me! My first ukulele was a Lanikai LU-21T. For my second ukulele, since I knew I was going to keep playing, I wanted solid wood and I wanted something nice, but not crazy expensive.

I chose a Pono PKT-1. I still have it and it is a great player.

TG&Y
02-10-2015, 02:31 PM
2nd was an Oscar Schmidt OU7t. A pretty spalted mango tenor, which now belongs to the Mrs.
3rd was the same in a concert flavor, which I am fortunate to play daily. EYIL

ukenick
02-10-2015, 02:36 PM
Just got my second a few weeks ago...a Mainland red cedar tenor. Really happy with it and a big upgrade from my Islander AC-4 laminate. Wasn't a big fan of the sound at first but after it broke in a little and I changed the strings to Fremont Blacklines it sounds great.

GASguy
02-10-2015, 02:49 PM
My second Uke was a KoAloha Pinapple Sunday purchased directly from Music Guy Mike while he still sold solo through his eBay store; I still have it and most likely always will.

Number three was an early Collings TU-2 in quilted mahogany that I still have; after that I fully succumbed to U.A.S.

bborzell
02-10-2015, 09:13 PM
Oboy. Another opportunity to post a picture of my 2nd and most favorite uke. It's a Mike Pereira (MP) tenor. Mango with Cedar top and koa binding and fret inlays.

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll468/bborzell/02a32510b8031d1f7a5b97cdde3c0faf.jpg

AJ Hill
02-10-2015, 09:23 PM
I've had three Mya Moe ,,,one Koaloha ,,even and Oscar Smidt but my favourite two for keeps my Kamaka tenor and my Blackbird Clara

DownUpDave
02-10-2015, 11:07 PM
Oboy. Another opportunity to post a picture of my 2nd and most favorite uke. It's a Mike Pereira (MP) tenor. Mango with Cedar top and koa binding and fret inlays.

http://i315.photobucket.com/albums/ll468/bborzell/02a32510b8031d1f7a5b97cdde3c0faf.jpg

Could you not have at least picked something a little nicer for your second uke...........jees :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

That is spectacular.

molokinirum
02-11-2015, 06:51 AM
a Makala Concert that I purchased from our dear old friend MGM. Stll play it and it reminds me of him and his crazy Aloha Friday videos!!

Steveperrywriter
02-11-2015, 07:34 AM
Mainland Mahogany tenor. Had a Kohaloa soprano my wife bought at a charity auction, but it was too small and didn't sound good to me.

cptdean
02-11-2015, 07:59 AM
... and my Blackbird Clara

I've been researching like mad in an attempt to follow an old adage and "Buy once, cry once," making a Blackbird Clara my first and only purchase. We'll see how long before UAS kicks in.

mds725
02-11-2015, 08:10 AM
My FIRST ukulele was a Kala solid mahogany concert that I bought from El Cerrito Music Works after trying out various ukuleles there for about three hours. (The shop was great about that, by the way.) I couldn't decide between a concert and a tenor, so I bought the concert there. My SECOND ukulele was a Kala solid acacia tenor that I bought from MGM back when he had his own ebay store. I ended up gravitating toward larger instruments (tenors, baritones, and now tenor guitars) and eventually upgraded my tenor to a Kamaka HF-3. (I have since gotten a few high end tenors and baritones.) I've kept the Kala concert - it's the only concert I have that I plan on keeping, just to have one - and a few years ago I sold my second uke, the Kala acacia tenor, to a buddy who wanted to move up from concert size. My buddy and I take a Hawaiian music class together, so I see my second ukulele all the time, and I'm glad it's gone to a good home where it's played a lot and cherished.

Wow! That's beautiful!

hawaii 50
02-11-2015, 08:31 AM
My FIRST ukulele was a Kala solid mahogany concert that I bought from El Cerrito Music Works after trying out various ukuleles there for about three hours. (The shop was great about that, by the way.) I couldn't decide between a concert and a tenor, so I bought the concert there. My SECOND ukulele was a Kala solid acacia tenor that I bought from MGM back when he had his own ebay store. I ended up gravitating toward larger instruments (tenors, baritones, and now tenor guitars) and eventually upgraded my tenor to a Kamaka HF-3. (I have since gotten a few high end tenors and baritones.) I've kept the Kala concert - it's the only concert I have that I plan on keeping, just to have one - and a few years ago I sold my second uke, the Kala acacia tenor, to a buddy who wanted to move up from concert size. My buddy and I take a Hawaiian music class together, so I see my second ukulele all the time, and I'm glad it's gone to a good home where it's played a lot and cherished.

Wow! That's beautiful!

Nice Mark...Pudgy at El Cerrito Music Works was really good friends with MGM....so the first 2 ukes that you owned were connected with my pal Mike...anytime I can post his name and remember him is so nice...

BTW Pudgy and his wife showed up at Mike's celebration of his life....they knew Mike when he was a teenager playing in Waikiki....:)

my second uke was my Maui Music tenor

Ramart
02-11-2015, 09:17 AM
Learned I could play on a Kala concert but never liked its tone or the concert scale's cramped (for me) fingerboard. No. 2 was an Oscar Schmidt OU6 tenor, which is still my most-played uke though I've since bought two more tenors (the acoustic-electric OU6LCE and a Vorson solid-body steel stringer).

bborzell
02-11-2015, 08:02 PM
Could you not have at least picked something a little nicer for your second uke...........jees :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

That is spectacular.

Thanks. I went to the Reno, NV uke festival three months after buying my first uke (Pono ATDC) with $800 in my pocket and a plan to blow it all on a second tenor. Perhaps needless to say, my plan changed almost immediately after seeing and playing Mike's latest creation. It took me two hours and many laps around the vendor area to finally decide that I was going to go well beyond the $800 I had brought to Reno. I play it every day.

Lalz
02-12-2015, 01:06 AM
My first uke was a cheap Mahalo I bought on a whim after seeing it in a shop window. I knew absolutely nothing about ukes when I got it, I just picked it without even trying it because it was a cute purple colour. Needless to say it wasn't that great but on hindsight it was actually quite ok for a low-end uke, and it opened my appetite for learning how to play it, although I didn't really touch it for about a year.

Fast-forward a bit, I finally start learning how to play and realise the action is too high and the strings hurt my fingers. I get the action lowered at a uke shop and change the strings to Aquilas based on people's advices. Massive improvement but not quite there yet. I could tell it wasn't that great of an instrument compared to others, it had buzz, some minor intonation issues, and the C-string was booming too loudly. By then I had decided the ukulele was the instrument for me, so I did a lot of research in order to find a better one for sessions, while wanting to keep the Mahalo one as a beater for my couch.

I looked online into all the mid-range ukes from Kala, Ohana, Lanikai etc, for budget reasons. I tried lots of models in local music shops too, trying to look for a good sound and playability. I even bought one and returned it an hour later because it still wasn't quite right: it had a weird resonance frequency I didn't like, and like most of the ukes in that price range (<100pounds) it sounded a bit too boxy for my taste. I realised I needed to research some more before buying. So I did, for weeks and weeks and weeks.

Finally, I went back to the little shop out of town that had lowered the action on my Mahalo, had a look at what they had and tried a Kala KA-SS (the solid spruce top cousin of the popular KA-S). Love at first sight. It had a great open and bright tone ("like the voice of a thousand angels" I said to myself), perfect intonation, and the action was as low as you cam get without a single buzz, thanks to the shop owner's excellent set-up. The price tag was very good as well. Bingo!

I kept the Mahalo as a beater for a bit then gave it away to a friend but I still use this Kala as my main pub session uke. It's a cracking little lass. Never getting rid of it!

So in short: 2nd uke = upgrade from cheap laminate to mid-range with solid top, good intonation and proper set-up. The first one (and lots of research) helped me figure out what I liked and didn't like about ukuleles, what I needed and didn't need. 2nd was a perfect fit but it opened the door to UAS, because after that I needed a banjo uke too, and a low-G one and a.... :)

DownUpDave
02-12-2015, 01:42 AM
Thanks. I went to the Reno, NV uke festival three months after buying my first uke (Pono ATDC) with $800 in my pocket and a plan to blow it all on a second tenor. Perhaps needless to say, my plan changed almost immediately after seeing and playing Mike's latest creation. It took me two hours and many laps around the vendor area to finally decide that I was going to go well beyond the $800 I had brought to Reno. I play it every day.

That is a great story. I can actually feel what you were going through, I have lapped around in a state of undecision many times myself. You are obviously very glad you made that decision to buy it and rigthfully so.

Quick story to relate a similar situation. Member "sam13" who is a friend and neighbor was going through the ordering process for his LfdM. We are lucky to live close to Luis and visited his shop 3 seperate times, being able to play a number of his ukes. Don't ever do something like that unless you are willing to spend a lot of money. I was steadfast in my resolve to NOT buy one of his ukes, I have lots of nice ukes. "Resistance is futile earthling", lust wins out over logic every time.

bazmaz
02-12-2015, 05:56 AM
A Flea

(first was one of the worst quality control Mahalos I have ever seen - mis set bridge and one fret set on an angle...)

actadh
02-12-2015, 11:26 AM
Hmm.. technically, my second uke was my Luna.

But while I was awaiting shipment from HMS, I went to a second hand store. I spied a 1950's Kay ukulele with telephone wire looped around the frictions tuners and hanging from a pegboard. One tuner was a little loose, but hey, how hard would it be to tighten it? And, my sister-in-law's name is Kay.

I went back a second time and it was still there. I bought it for $30 and bought a set of tuners from a local music store. That tuner was frozen and I never could get it off - I did not want to damage it. So, back went the tuners for some accessories.

It still needs that tuner replaced, but I know the time will come where I will be able to know how to replace it myself.

davidrboy
02-16-2015, 12:58 PM
Oh. My second was really nice Pono MCD-E that I wish I had back. I've bought and sold many many more expensive and finer instruments since, but that one MCD-E I wish I could buy back as my travel, drunk playing out, plug in and let friends bat around, but still sounds amazing ukes.
I didn't realize it at the time, but now I do -- that uke had near-perfect playability. Not the best sounding, but just worked in the hands, and everything as so clean.

I wish I could remember who I sold it to.

DaleR
02-16-2015, 02:11 PM
My dolphin noir! Still one of my favs and I use it when I travel out of town. It relaxes me during down time between gigs and hey, you can't just sit in the bar continuously! lol

Sabantien
02-16-2015, 02:16 PM
My second is my Gretsch concert. I like it, but I feel the sound is a little too warm sometimes. Considering trying different strings, but I kind of want a soprano uke anyhow. Very nearly bought a Luna High Tide concert koa which sounded just lovely, but managed to control myself.

kwall
02-16-2015, 05:18 PM
My second ukulele was a pono MS, with a pickup. I wanted a nice soprano uku as I had only a tenor. Still love it today

stevejfc
02-16-2015, 09:13 PM
honestly, I don't remember

jfalconc
02-20-2016, 05:48 PM
My second Uke was a concert Oscar-Schmidt OU5e!!! Great Uke!!!

Kyle23
02-20-2016, 06:11 PM
The biggest piece of garbage I've ever had the pleasure to hold in my hands. A Koloa Soprano. It sounds as if I put 4 nylon strings on a ukulele shaped rock. I was really interested in buying a solid wood soprano, and the fact that it was gloss attracted me to it because I loved how it looked... $130 later... Ugh. I tried to get different strings plenty of times and nothing helped. I really want to see what it feels like to smash an instrument, but maybe if my 6 year old nephew shows more interest in my ukes, I'll give it to him to learn the basics and then buy him a better one. Who knows. Either that or I want to find a very high place, set it on fire and then drop it off. I doubt it would even burn though, I don't think it's made of wood. It's either made of stone, or that material they make hard candy out of. The owner of this company should be forced to sit in a chair and have me strum nonsense chords for 3 days straight, no breaks. Complete trash. Not to mention the action on the uke makes it possible for me to slide a small child under the strings.

jollyboy
02-20-2016, 06:51 PM
My second uke was an Ohana SK-25, which I kept for about 24 hours before deciding to exchange it for a CK-25.

Croaky Keith
02-20-2016, 11:34 PM
My story is slightly different from those that have gone before.

I don't have a local store, or transport, so had to buy online, so rather than make an expensive mistake, I decided to buy from recommendation on another website.

First I bought a Makala Tenor, nice enough, but didn't feel a comfortable size. So I next tried a Makala Pinapple (Soprano), not enough room for my finger tips, (which had not hardened up yet), but quite liked the small size. Ordered a Makala Concert, & that felt much better.

After a couple of weeks I ordered what I would really call my first uke, as I had a bit of an idea of what was going to suit me.
This was a Kala KA-SLNG, a long neck soprano, (concert scale on a soprano sized body).
Although I now have other ukes as well, (mild touch of U.A.S.), this is my go to uke when I am trying to learn something new.

whistleman123
02-21-2016, 04:22 AM
2end uke was an Aiersi Ovation Mahogany laminate soprano. It's my only uke. Purchased it for an "all conditions, never worry about it" uke. Was pleasently surprised with quality.

Snargle
02-21-2016, 04:39 AM
My first was an Oscar Schmidt OU2 laminate mahogany concert that I picked up to figure out if I was serious about the ukulele. After a month of playing it, I realized that this was the real thing and placed an order with HMS for a Kala KA-SRT/MA (Michael Aratani, MGM) solid spruce and rosewood tenor. I've had a few weeks now and I'm loving it more than ever. I'm sure the sound will just continue to improve with time and playing. Now my big question is what will be my next ukulele? The UAS infection seems to have taken firm hold! :rolleyes:

Rodney.
02-21-2016, 05:10 AM
A Makala MK-B. Sold it to a colleague/friend.

hollisdwyer
02-21-2016, 12:01 PM
A Kala spruce and lacewood tenor. Very playable. Sold it after I acquired my first custom, a MP sinker redwood over walnut. Those were the days when I thought I should only own one ukulele. I've disabused myself of that strange belief.

Bob Bledsoe
02-21-2016, 12:35 PM
My second uke was a Pono tenor. Its still my main player. I dont have UAS as much as IAS. I tend to aquire and learn new instruments - mandolin, banjo, guitar, tin whistle, tenor banjo, etc... It all started with a Kala ukulele though.

Mivo
02-21-2016, 01:29 PM
My very first ukulele was one of those plywood sopranos that come bundled with an instruction manual and a flimsy gig bag. That was a spontaneous $30 purchase without any research, and it was unplayable. I did a tiny bit more research to learn that I should look in the $100-150 range and for a solid top, but not enough to realize the importance of a proper setup (it was shortly before I discovered this forum) or what brands were available, so I bought a Stagg UC80-S as my second ukulele from a major European music store.

This second uke had a solid mahogany top and came with Aquila Nylguts (I think they now come with something else; this was three years ago). The matte finish was actually flawless and I still enjoy running my fingers over the back. The problem was that I had zero experience with stringed instruments, and the action was too high for me in the first fret. The rather thick Nylguts didn't help. It was also relatively heavy and on the over-built side. I'd soon after get a couple (soprano and tenor) set-up ukuMele ukuleles that had much lower action and were comfortable to play, so I stopped using the Stagg.

Just recently I have been spending more time with it again, and the action is actually fine for me now. The more I play it, the more I like it, and I think it's slowly teaching me that the concert size (both scale and body) may just be "my" size after all since it combines aspects I like about the soprano size and the tenor size. I'll probably get an Opio Concert next month to find out if that is indeed true!

But anyway, three years after the purchase, I'm discovering that the Stagg is a pretty decent instrument. I could definitely be thinner and lighter, and have a slightly less muffled voice (but not koa-bright), but for a Chinese factory ukulele the craftsmanship is actually very good. No globs of glue, no rough frets, looks clean inside, flawless finish, the geared tuners of unknown origin keep it in tune really well -- nothing really bad about it. Since I believe it's only the top that is solid, and it's also comfortably sturdy (more so than my other ukuleles), it'll continue to be my "beater" that lives on my desk, couch, etc.

Nickie
02-21-2016, 06:14 PM
Mine was a Cordoba concert model, purchased at Sam Ash Music, after I discovered I hated playing baritone. It was a pretty good starter uke. I should have kept it, it made a great beater uke. I learned a lot with it!

oregonuke
02-21-2016, 06:34 PM
About six months into my ukulele journey I pulled the trigger on a Blackbird BTU (carbon fiber) as my second uke. It was more money than I really should have been spending but somehow rationalized it and convinced my self that I deserved it. There was a ton of buyers remorse at first and I felt more than a bit guilty that I didn't yet have the skills to do justice to the instrument. A year later I look at the purchase as one of the smartest things I've done. I love the tone, it's very comfortable to play, and I don't have to worry about humidity issues. Even though I have added a couple more ukuleles since this one, the Blackbird is my go to uke and I am confident that my Blackbird will be with me for a very, very long time.

Nickie
02-22-2016, 03:38 AM
honestly, I don't remember

LOL, this is funny....I just realized I didn't remember (last night) that I had already posted here, so I did it again. Ha ha!

Mim
02-22-2016, 03:47 AM
An eleuke was my second which changed my life.

But that is a whole other story!

Croaky Keith
02-22-2016, 05:37 AM
An eleuke was my second which changed my life.

But that is a whole other story!

Oh, do tell, was it a good or a bad experience?

Patrick Madsen
02-22-2016, 05:59 AM
Mine was another wonderful Griffin tenor. Old growth cedar top with Koa b/s. He just gets better and better.

70sSanO
02-22-2016, 08:08 AM
I was fortunate as my first uke was a KoAloha soprano. I guess the next uke was technically a Kanilea tenor, which I sent back the next day. What I consider my second uke was a Keith Ogata Kinohi. It has been areal love-hate relationship with that one, but 9 years later I still cherish it. I did sell the KoAloha a few years later.

There are a few routes people take after their first. Accumulate various ukes, buy an additional or a few select ukes, keep the one you have, enjoy it, and buy no more (very tough), and for a select few people, accumulate high end ukes.

No particular course is bad, unless you spend more than you can afford.

John

Teek
02-23-2016, 11:10 AM
The first I played was my mom's vintage Martin bari. The first I owned was a circa 40s all mahogany with rosewood fretboard Harmony soprano, because my mom wouldn't let me put C tuning strings on the bari so I could learn and play stuff in the right key. She got mean about it because I put hers in a new hard case to better protect and humidify it, so I left hers alone, and my second was an early all koa Pono tenor. Wish I'd kept it, it was a beaut, but it needed a better setup and different strings, and I didn't understand that at the time. Eventually a few ukes down the road I got my Kanile'a tenor and restrung the Pono and set it up a bit prior to selling it, and it didn't sound much different from the Kanile'a, but the spouse insisted I sell it, because well that's what he always did with his cars, motorcycles and bicycles. Now he has three great bikes, and they all serve a different purpose, and for awhile he had three great motorcycles. It changed his world view a bit. Now he can conceive of having a Triumph Bonneville, his Husqvarna, and a Ducati Scrambler. Someday. For now the Husky is his "One", 50+ motos down the road.

joneo
03-12-2016, 02:55 PM
*Edited post* ok so technically speaking, the very first ukulele I bought (Kala 15s) I took back after only 2 days because I was on vacation and by that time I realized that I should really bring home the best uke I could afford as I had no intention of buying another one at all... :rotfl: So, my 2nd purchased ukulele (which I consider my first, as it was the first one I took back home with me) was/is a Kala KA-KSLNG long neck soprano in laminate koa. It is still my favorite ukulele. My 2nd (or 3rd, depending on how you look at it) is a 2nd generation soprano Outdoor Ukulele made right here in Oregon! I wanted a beater uke I could take camping, hiking, etc., and had been looking at the Makala Watermans and Kealoha concert ukes. Then I came across Outdoor Ukulele, and they were just getting ready to start production on their new, updated version of their ABS soprano ukuleles, based on improvements they made with their tenor models. I quickly signed up for their newsletter, and as soon as the new ukes went up for sale I snagged one. Had it delivered 2 days later, and it's really fun to play. :-)

Ukejenny
03-13-2016, 06:02 AM
My second ukulele was an Ohana CK 50GS, all solid rosewood with a cedar top. Love it. Still have it. Great instrument. I searched and searched for it and no one had it at the time I wanted to buy. One shop in Washington State had it, but they had taken it out to a festival to sell. It ended up coming back and I bought it. It came with no set up and I had to get one done. Then, it played and sounded like a dream. Still does.

Five Ways
03-13-2016, 06:12 AM
My second was an Ohana concert I don't remember the model as that was around twelve uke's ago.

uke4ia
03-13-2016, 08:50 AM
My second was a Martin type 3, bought because it had 17 frets instead of the standard 12. This was around 1985. The only ukes ever seen in New England music stores at that time were sopranos and the occasional baritone. A couple of uke collector friends had tenors and concerts, but those seemed to be rare breeds that had gone extinct in the 1930s.

EssexRiver
03-13-2016, 09:28 AM
My first uke was a Fluke Concert with walnut neck, rosewood fretboard, and Misi. I went to the The Magic Fluke Co's shop when they were still based in CT looking for their input on what I should get to start out. They were SUPER helpful and showed me a couple of Fleas, but I didn't like the plastic fretboard...then they said, "Hey, we just made a strum mark on this custom Fluke while test playing it before the finish was dry enough...we'll sell it to you for a great price."

It is a fine instrument. Loud and plays nice...but I wanted a soprano made of wood. So my second uke came from MGM. I had a max budget to $200 and he suggested an Ohana Vita-Uke. He said the amount of quality for the money was really great...so that was my second uke. He was right (as usual). For $180 including a hard case it was a bargain and it sounds bright and sweet.

But I still don't have that solid mahogany or koa traditional style/sound that I really want. That will be my next purchase.

Rllink
03-13-2016, 10:49 AM
Mainland Mahogany with a MiSi pickup. I wonder if anyone ever gets it right the first time, no matter how much advise they get from others?

ZappCatt
03-13-2016, 10:57 AM
My second uke was an Oscar Schmidt OU2. I was not "upgrading" but rather getting to the correct size.

My first uke was a Luna Tattoo Concert. I was pretty sure I wanted a Tenor, but our local guitar center did not have any reasonably priced Tenors, so I bought and used the Luna Concert for 30 days to see if I could get by on a Concert before returning it.

mm stan
03-13-2016, 11:28 AM
Depends on you learning curb, but im saying in 4 years or more youll understand its not the uke,
Its you.. lots to learn and practice. When you reach a certain level, youll know how to play any uke
Or fix the issues. In other words it not the uke..even a rogue or mahalo can sound good in the right hands
Always nice buying uke to experience new ones, but keep the old ones..5 years ahead play them again..then youll realize what im saying.. you need a good setup, strings, and learn to tune by ear.. invest in them too
Dont rush and enjoy the journey, youll know when youre ready for the next level with aha moments
Play a hour after you wake up, you mind is clear, no stress and rested.. you eill be more creative and retain more.
As for second uke, get the best you can afford. .happy strummings