What is your favorite song to play / listen to?

ShibaUke

Reaction score
What is your most favorite song to play on the ukulele or most favorite song you have heard being played on the ukulele? Why?

Here is mine -

to play: I am a huge Taylor Swift fan and I will just listen to her album and fingerpick all her songs straight through. no singing cause I cannot sing well, just fingerpicking on the fly with some chords. to me, my fingers are my voice.

to listen: anything that little japanese boy on youtube plays who does not speak english. makes me smile every time I watch his videos. even after the 10th time. i do hope he still enjoys playing.

Ain't She Sweet,Five Foot Two or Loving You Has Made Me Bananas,to play!

My favoirte song to play is an obscure hapa haole song called "Down in Waikiki", which I first encountered in a YouTube clip of Joe Merlino: Down Jersey Concert (about 15 minutes in). Such a tuneful, happy little song with some nifty chord progressions. I hunted up the sheet music so I could play the whole song: it has two verses in addition to the chorus. Second is my linear tuning arrangement of the done-to-death Bach Prelude (from the unaccompanied viola da gamba suite #1)—gives me a real sense of accomplishment when I can play it through.

For listening, Gerald Ross playing just about anything, and listen to the chords in Doug Frink's version of "Lush Life"—smooooth. The likes of Jake, James and Aldrine may have the pyrotechnics, and I admire what they can do greatly, but they're not my idea of pleasure listening.

Right now, to play: Rolling Stones "She's a Rainbow" instrumental arrangement. A bit of a change from my usual classical.

To listen: an absolute favorite is Greg Hawkes' instrumental arrangement of the Beatles' "Piggies" although it's hard to narrow it down to just one song. That album (I think it's just called Beatles Uke), plus John King's and Herb Ohta Sr's respective Bach albums, are probably my top three solo ukulele albums for listening.

ETA: okay, one more for listening is Kenji Kondo and Tomotaka Matsui's "Ukulele Mozart" album. This one doesn't seem to get mentioned all that much so here's a little preview of what it's all about:

Last edited:
This close to Lent, I'm playing Mississippi Mud on a 1030s SS Stewart Banjo-Uke. I like the way Ray Charles covered this one with "Vigor and Vim".

Orira'a i Tahiti is my favorite song to play right now since it has lots of jazzy chords. My favorite song to listen to right now is Uptown Funk as I'm debating trying to figure out an instrumental. I saw tabs for an ensemble but trying to see if I can play it myself. Got to practice my golpe technique.

Too many listening faves to list here....but my fave to sing/play is Pancho and Lefty. Not a happy song, but so what?

Too many listening faves to list here....but my fave to sing/play is Pancho and Lefty. Not a happy song, but so what?

OOOOH that is a great song. I'd like to learn that one!

I have no clue what my fave is. But here lately, I have been desiring to play a lot of classic country.

Top Bottom