Show and Tell for the Vintage Fans: Weymann & Martin

Tommy B

Reaction score
Hi everyone. A friend dropped by last week with an old Martin Style 2, and I thought it would be cool to photograph it next to my Weymann. Although Martin reputedly built some ukes for Weymann, the late Martin builder and historian Mike Longworth related to uke artist Dan "Soybean" Sawyer that Martin and Weymann were on friendly terms and that Martin had sent a few unfinished ukes to Weymann to study. You can see the Martin influence in the strong similarities between the ukes, but there are lots of differences (body dimensions, sound hole placement, scale length, etc.) that point to two different builders. Anyway, I just thought this would be cool to share.

Here's the album:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/shutterbutt/sets/72157650726514952/

These are beautiful photos Tom. Another difference is the edge of the soundhole on the Weymann. I don't know the proper word for it, but it reminds me of "countersunk" screw holes. :)

Very cool!

I noticed you put Pegheds on your Martin. Did this require any alteration to the whole for the tuners? In other words, if you wanted to replace the Pegheds with the original tuners again, could you do so?

Top Bottom