Hi. I'm new here. I'm in NYC. I play ukulele.

blatboy

Reaction score
Hi. My name is Walter. J. Walter Hawkes if the name is in lights or on the check. I'm a professional musician and I've been playing ukulele for over 20 years. I'm formally trained on other instruments (trombone & piano) but taught myself ukulele in a one room apartment (what they call an SRO in NYC) where trombone wasn't...er...welcome.

My first solo ukulele show was in 1998 or 99... at the Baggot Inn. I showed up with an empty case to the gig. Yeah man. Pro, all the way! ;)

I play around the city a whole lot. I've played many (I'd venture to say most) uke fests in NYC since the "New York New Uke" fest at Joe's Pub in 2001. I'm also the music director (and trombone/ukulele player) for Peg + Cat, an animated kiddie TV show on PBS that teaches math. Peg, the main character, plays ukulele all over that thing. Or wait... I do.

I have a small collection on insanely good ukuleles that I probably don't deserve. That said, I won't be parting with them anytime soon...and I'll probably be adding to that collection as time goes on. ;)

looking forward to meeting some folks!

:)

Last edited:
Greetings and welcome. Glad you joined us.

Hi Walter! Welcome to UU!

Ever get out to northern NJ (Morristown area)?

Let me know and I'll try to come see your show.

There's also a UkeFest NJ that happens around Labor Day weekend.

Fellow UU member ScooterD35 was the organizer for the past 2 yrs, maybe check it out and see if you can get on the roster to perform or do a workshop - info here on past 2 yrs events:

http://www.folkproject.org/ukefest/ukefest.shtml

Welcome Walter and being a member here with access to the Marketplace certainly makes "adding to your collection" that much easier.

Thanks everyone!

Booli - I've not been playing in NJ much (tho I occasionally do trad jazz things at the Bickford, but it's been years...)
I'll check out the NJ Fest... that could be a good spot for my trio or the Pre War Ponies. Thanks for the hot tip!

DownUpDave - I've been AFRAID to look there. I know me too well. hahaha.

Top Bottom