Ideas for Sitarlele

bubbly193

Reaction score
When i get the funds, I'm thinking of starting my first Uke project as a cross over with an easier (well, in my opinion) instrument to make, a Sitar. Thinking of an A4 D5 G3 C4 E4 A4 tuning (don't worry about the double A4, double notes are common in many Sitar tunings, obviously based on Guitalele tuning). Any other ideas. Also, what is the best scale length to bump up the last two an octave? Another thing common with sitar is keeping string thickness but lowering scale length to raise the pitch. planning on Using two necks and two Sitar style bridges (one for the A4 and D5, the rest on the main bridge), and, of course, a gourd body. Any other Ideas/Concerns?

If this is your first instrument, I would recommend starting with a regular, simple ukulele rather than something exootic like a uke-sitar hybrid. Get the basic skills down first, then go for the more complicated build.

I have sitar experience, so I thought the hybrid a bit easier than starting something I'm not to familiar with.

I actually think E5 A5 G3 C4 E4 A4, so open it will ring out Am7, that would fit a more traditional style of sitar playing (finger picking, traditionally with only two fingers used, and a lot harmonizing, often in the form of playing the open chords or, more commonly intervals). ADGCEA would work better for compatibility though... Of course I would mix styles and play chords, different finger picking styles etc. on it. I feel like it may be better to ease in from something I know to something I don't than taking a headfirst leap into Ukulele luthiery.

Top Bottom