NUD - DaSilva 3K - For real this time

hollisdwyer

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
Thanks to Natalie's care in packing, my (now mine) DaSilva Martin 3K reproduction arrived safe and sound. What a gorgeous instrument! What a small instrument (I have only played Tenors before). Great tone, intonation and sustain and of course finish.
Here's a photo with some of its stable mates:
image.jpg

Last edited:
It makes me so happy, and just a tad wistful, to see a picture of the DaSilva in her new home! I really loved that ukulele and I'm thrilled she will continue to make music. Thanks again for a perfectly smooth transaction, Hollis. :)

Yay! The ukes look great together. Sopranos are fantastic, you'll get used to the size in no time.

Haven't put it down much today. I find myself looking at it, playing, looking at it, playing.........My fingers are learning where to go already. I consider myself so fortunate to be the custodian of such a fine instrument.

where's the like button for this thread? :shaka:

Haven't put it down much today. I find myself looking at it, playing, looking at it, playing.........My fingers are learning where to go already. I consider myself so fortunate to be the custodian of such a fine instrument.

That is awesome to have one you enjoy so much on all three levels: aesthetics, playability and tone. For me, I have had a similar experience with my Collings UC3MSB. Love everything about all three attributes. My love for it has not waned one bit and has probably increased. I hope you have the same experience.

Congratulations! It's beautiful! Happy strummings!

where's the like button for this thread?

attachment.php

Congratulations, that's a beautiful lookin uke....gonna be fun!

After a day or so of playing I can see that I will have to retrain my muscle memory to correctly finger chords on a fretboard that is so much smaller than my tenors (especially compared to my BP which has a wider than normal fretboard, by my request, so both dimensions have shrunk for me). This is most evident in hum and strum playing.
However, used for finger style, this uke just shines even with my sussage fingers. I can't believe how good it sounds everywhere on the fret board. Mr DaSilva sure knows how to create a fine instrument.

It’s nice to see this uke has gone to an appreciative owner, Hollis. I may end up buying a DaSilva in the future, so I’d love to hear some sound clips of it if you’re able to make them. I haven’t managed to come across any good recordings of these models.

It looks really small compared with your tenor ukes, especially the Boat Paddle.

It’s nice to see this uke has gone to an appreciative owner, Hollis. I may end up buying a DaSilva in the future, so I’d love to hear some sound clips of it if you’re able to make them. I haven’t managed to come across any good recordings of these models.

It looks really small compared with your tenor ukes, especially the Boat Paddle.
It is an amazingly small instrument to my eyes and hands. For now I find it hard to hold while playing standing up but no problem playing it when sitting. All my other ukes have straps and I am used to using those especially when standing. I was thinking about installing an end pin and strap button (I have some very nice bone and ebony ones from Bob Colossi in Georgia) but am reluctant to change anything right now.
It doesn't have a pick up and I don't have a mike so no sound samples from me yet. I was considering installing one (most likely a MiSi), but again, am reluctant to change anything until I live with the instrument for a while.

Gorgeous family Hollis. I agonised over Nat's da Silva time and time again. What a brilliant bargain you got. One of the finest models from one of the finest makers out there. Congratulations mate. Your fingers'll get used to the little buggah in no time!

Congratulations the dasilva 3k, is an awesome player with clear bright tones and nice volume
Keep strumming them strings.. nice uke family also

Gorgeous family Hollis. I agonised over Nat's da Silva time and time again. What a brilliant bargain you got. One of the finest models from one of the finest makers out there. Congratulations mate. Your fingers'll get used to the little buggah in no time!
You're right, I played with a group today and didn't do so badly except for those dam Bm and B7 chords, which are always difficult for me as I have a dodgy left wrist.

Congratulations the dasilva 3k, is an awesome player with clear bright tones and nice volume
Keep strumming them strings.. nice uke family also
It really does have clear bright tones and volume. I was playing today with about 20+ other people and the DaSilva rang out above the rest (sometimes to my embarrassment when I fluffed a chord).

Absolutely gorgeous! Makes the Boat Paddle look like a guitar though!

Absolutely gorgeous! Makes the Boat Paddle look like a guitar though!

Thanks.
The BP ML model tenor almost looks like a baritone next to the DaSilva. I really love that BP ML and would highly recommend it to anyone who likes low g tuning.

Top Bottom