PDA

View Full Version : NUD - DaSilva 3K - For real this time

hollisdwyer
02-10-2015, 10:46 PM
Thanks to Natalie's care in packing, my (now mine) DaSilva Martin 3K reproduction arrived safe and sound. What a gorgeous instrument! What a small instrument (I have only played Tenors before). Great tone, intonation and sustain and of course finish.
Here's a photo with some of its stable mates:

kvehe
02-10-2015, 10:50 PM
Lovely family!

hollisdwyer
02-10-2015, 11:43 PM
Lovely family!
Thanks.
There's one more, a Mya Moe 6 string tenor, but no stand to sit it on.

NatalieS
02-11-2015, 02:45 AM
It makes me so happy, and just a tad wistful, to see a picture of the DaSilva in her new home! I really loved that ukulele and I'm thrilled she will continue to make music. Thanks again for a perfectly smooth transaction, Hollis. :)

wayfarer75
02-11-2015, 03:20 AM
Yay! The ukes look great together. Sopranos are fantastic, you'll get used to the size in no time.

hollisdwyer
02-11-2015, 03:45 AM
Haven't put it down much today. I find myself looking at it, playing, looking at it, playing.........My fingers are learning where to go already. I consider myself so fortunate to be the custodian of such a fine instrument.

UkerDanno
02-11-2015, 05:15 AM
where's the like button for this thread? :shaka:

Ukulele Eddie
02-11-2015, 05:17 AM
Haven't put it down much today. I find myself looking at it, playing, looking at it, playing.........My fingers are learning where to go already. I consider myself so fortunate to be the custodian of such a fine instrument.

That is awesome to have one you enjoy so much on all three levels: aesthetics, playability and tone. For me, I have had a similar experience with my Collings UC3MSB. Love everything about all three attributes. My love for it has not waned one bit and has probably increased. I hope you have the same experience.

mds725
02-11-2015, 08:33 AM
Congratulations! It's beautiful! Happy strummings!

where's the like button for this thread?

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=76008&d=1423683122

Camsuke
02-11-2015, 09:29 AM
Congratulations, what a little beauty!

Nickie
02-11-2015, 01:17 PM
Congratulations, that's a beautiful lookin uke....gonna be fun!

hollisdwyer
02-11-2015, 08:36 PM
Thanks to all for sharing my joy. Here is a complete family portrait:

hollisdwyer
02-12-2015, 04:08 AM
After a day or so of playing I can see that I will have to retrain my muscle memory to correctly finger chords on a fretboard that is so much smaller than my tenors (especially compared to my BP which has a wider than normal fretboard, by my request, so both dimensions have shrunk for me). This is most evident in hum and strum playing.
However, used for finger style, this uke just shines even with my sussage fingers. I can't believe how good it sounds everywhere on the fret board. Mr DaSilva sure knows how to create a fine instrument.

deejayen
02-12-2015, 04:35 AM
Itís nice to see this uke has gone to an appreciative owner, Hollis. I may end up buying a DaSilva in the future, so Iíd love to hear some sound clips of it if youíre able to make them. I havenít managed to come across any good recordings of these models.

It looks really small compared with your tenor ukes, especially the Boat Paddle.

hollisdwyer
02-12-2015, 05:27 AM
It’s nice to see this uke has gone to an appreciative owner, Hollis. I may end up buying a DaSilva in the future, so I’d love to hear some sound clips of it if you’re able to make them. I haven’t managed to come across any good recordings of these models.

It looks really small compared with your tenor ukes, especially the Boat Paddle.
It is an amazingly small instrument to my eyes and hands. For now I find it hard to hold while playing standing up but no problem playing it when sitting. All my other ukes have straps and I am used to using those especially when standing. I was thinking about installing an end pin and strap button (I have some very nice bone and ebony ones from Bob Colossi in Georgia) but am reluctant to change anything right now.
It doesn't have a pick up and I don't have a mike so no sound samples from me yet. I was considering installing one (most likely a MiSi), but again, am reluctant to change anything until I live with the instrument for a while.

Hippie Dribble
02-12-2015, 05:13 PM
Gorgeous family Hollis. I agonised over Nat's da Silva time and time again. What a brilliant bargain you got. One of the finest models from one of the finest makers out there. Congratulations mate. Your fingers'll get used to the little buggah in no time!

mm stan
02-12-2015, 07:20 PM
Congratulations the dasilva 3k, is an awesome player with clear bright tones and nice volume
Keep strumming them strings.. nice uke family also

hollisdwyer
02-13-2015, 12:14 AM
Gorgeous family Hollis. I agonised over Nat's da Silva time and time again. What a brilliant bargain you got. One of the finest models from one of the finest makers out there. Congratulations mate. Your fingers'll get used to the little buggah in no time!
You're right, I played with a group today and didn't do so badly except for those dam Bm and B7 chords, which are always difficult for me as I have a dodgy left wrist.

Congratulations the dasilva 3k, is an awesome player with clear bright tones and nice volume
Keep strumming them strings.. nice uke family also
It really does have clear bright tones and volume. I was playing today with about 20+ other people and the DaSilva rang out above the rest (sometimes to my embarrassment when I fluffed a chord).

RAB11
02-13-2015, 01:03 AM
Absolutely gorgeous! Makes the Boat Paddle look like a guitar though!

hollisdwyer
02-13-2015, 01:28 AM
Absolutely gorgeous! Makes the Boat Paddle look like a guitar though!

Thanks.
The BP ML model tenor almost looks like a baritone next to the DaSilva. I really love that BP ML and would highly recommend it to anyone who likes low g tuning.

jimhuang
02-13-2015, 02:29 AM
Thanks to all for sharing my joy. Here is a complete family portrait:

wow, what a lovely family and also i appreciate that bookshelf backgroud :p

you will definitely fall in love with that little baby !

DownUpDave
02-13-2015, 02:30 AM
I will echo everyone else's comments about your great stable of instruments and how happy the DaSilva looks to be a part of a wonderful family.

Hollis why not just try a soundhole strap, nothing permanent and no damagae done. My buddy "sam13" was recently turned onto the joys of super soprano, by yours truly and he uses one. He is 6'6" with the wingspan of a 747 and hands to match, he finds a strap on a tiny instrument very useful, so do I.

hollisdwyer
02-13-2015, 03:39 AM
I will echo everyone else's comments about your great stable of instruments and how happy the DaSilva looks to be a part of a wonderful family.

Hollis why not just try a soundhole strap, nothing permanent and no damagae done. My buddy "sam13" was recently turned onto the joys of super soprano, by yours truly and he uses one. He is 6'6" with the wingspan of a 747 and hands to match, he finds a strap on a tiny instrument very useful, so do I.

I have come to my senses and decided not to install any pins or buttons on the DaSilva. I think they will look totally out of place and proportion on an instrument of this size. I also wouldn't want to use a sound hole strap either because this uke is built so lightly. I'd be afraid of damaging the top as I can really strum quite hard at times.

Today a uke friend lend me a dog leash uke strap for me to try out. I'll give it a further go tomorrow when I play with another group at a farmers market in the morning. I have also noticed that Mobius strap (another low impact solution) advertised on FleaMarketMusic. I do need something to help me support it as I would never want to risk dropping it.

Re the stable, I think that is going to be it , at least for a while, as my wife and I are trying to embrace the Zen of downsizing in prep for our retirement and move to a smaller abode.

DownUpDave
02-13-2015, 09:34 AM
I have come to my senses and decided not to install any pins or buttons on the DaSilva. I think they will look totally out of place and proportion on an instrument of this size. I also wouldn't want to use a sound hole strap either because this uke is built so lightly. I'd be afraid of damaging the top as I can really strum quite hard at times.

Today a uke friend lend me a dog leash uke strap for me to try out. I'll give it a further go tomorrow when I play with another group at a farmers market in the morning. I have also noticed that Mobius strap (another low impact solution) advertised on FleaMarketMusic. I do need something to help me support it as I would never want to risk dropping it.

Re the stable, I think that is going to be it , at least for a while, as my wife and I are trying to embrace the Zen of downsizing in prep for our retirement and move to a smaller abode.

I agree about the sound hole issue, was just a thought. What I do with my two super sopranos is use a leather/rawhind type boot lace. I tie it around the waist then around the head stock. I came up with a unique way to ajust length of boot lace at the headstock. I put a chord lock on the lace, pass it around the headstock then through the chord lock again.See the attached pictures, works it a charm and tje leather lace is so soft and small in diameter it does not look to ugly or impact the instrument at all

hollisdwyer
02-13-2015, 05:43 PM
Great solution! I haven't seen those cord locks here in Australia. I'll search the web for them.
Thanks!

DownUpDave
02-13-2015, 11:40 PM
Great solution! I haven't seen those cord locks here in Australia. I'll search the web for them.
Thanks!

You should be able to get them at camping stores, that's where I found them. I am a strap guy as well, just can't play without one.

hollisdwyer
02-14-2015, 12:01 AM
Natalie asked me to capture a video of the DaSilva being played in one of my Uke Groups. Here is a video that was shot on an iPhone today at the Subiaco Ukulele Free For All (SUFFA) which plays at a local Farmers Market to collect for charities and just have some fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcAU_ilx8zw#t=17

Dan Uke
02-14-2015, 04:36 AM
great video. you look really happy with the uke

DownUpDave
02-14-2015, 04:53 AM
great video. you look really happy with the uke

You would be happy too if you had all those women fondling your instrument. :o:mraz:

hollisdwyer
02-14-2015, 05:00 AM
You would be happy too if you had all those women fondling your instrument. :o:mraz:

Ha! Yes the girls were certainly taking the piss. We all have a great deal of fun joking around.
And yes, I am really happy with the Uke, who wouldn't be?

Fisherman
02-15-2015, 12:30 AM
Congrats Hollis! Looks great, sounds great. I think we all drooled over this one when it came up for sale ;)

The soprano size is very comfortable for strumming, ideal for this. Ps - I was taught to strum over the 12th fret always because that's where the best sound is, but I'm sure there's plenty of "right" ways when it comes to making music, specially as it does sound great in the vid.

As for a strap button, I like them and reckon it'd look fine.

hollisdwyer
02-15-2015, 03:24 AM
Congrats Hollis! Looks great, sounds great. I think we all drooled over this one when it came up for sale ;)

The soprano size is very comfortable for strumming, ideal for this. Ps - I was taught to strum over the 12th fret always because that's where the best sound is, but I'm sure there's plenty of "right" ways when it comes to making music, specially as it does sound great in the vid.

As for a strap button, I like them and reckon it'd look fine.

Considering the response to this post, I am also surprised that someone didn't buy it before I got the funds to do so myself. Also, really appreciate your advice re strumming at the twelfth fret. I have never played a Soprano before so all advice re playing this size Uke is very welcome. The first thing I have to learn is how to hold it securely. I have tried a loaned dog leash strap and that works very well. The last thing I want to do is drop it, especially on concrete.