Uke problem, you might want to get a 2nd opinion here on UU.

hoosierhiver

Reaction score
Occasionally I get a call from someone who is new to ukulele and/or musical instruments in general who has been hoodwinked by a shady salesman. Just because some kid at a Guitar Center tells you something, that does not mean they know what they are talking about.
The most extreme example I can think of, is a person who was told that all the frets on their ukulele had to be removed and replaced because of a perceived buzz (which may have had nothing to do with the frets at all)
If ever in doubt, post here on UU (preferably with pics) before wasting money on unnecessary repairs.

I thought you just changed the frets every time you changed the strings - keep them matched and all.

I was incredibly fortunate that my first guitar teacher emphasized learning how to do your own basic repairs along with how to play. I always implore beginners to learn the basics of restringing, setting up, and tweaking your truss rod. Also, if a potential repairman refuses to answer or dodges the basic questions about how he'll approach a repair find someone else to do it. Finding a repair guy you can trust is crucial. I'm lucky that I have two, one of who I trust so much that if he goes another direction with a repair or modification I don't question it because 99% of the time he's right.

Great advice Mike!!!

Thanks Mike...well, darn it's a good thing I save my old frets with my old strings....maybe I can use them again?
I have a new repair guy, maybe I'll ask him....I've fired my old one for de-fretting all my ukes unecessarily....

Great advice!

Hello, I have a banjolele that sounds better when I dampen the vellum on some tones (ceases the dissonance) and some tones do have a very short sustain indeed. How about that?

Thanks for your time, kind regards

Banjoleles are a species all themselves, it's hard to diagnose a problem with one if it's not in your hands. My advice is, don't be afraid to tinker with it, loosen and re-adjust the rim and head.

Top Bottom