Adirondack Spruce Tops

kkimura

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
As spruce top ukuleles go, does Adirondack spruce have any advantage over Sitka or "regular" spruce?

I think Jake Macclay from Beehive likes using Adirondack spruce ... I prefer Engelmann tops as they have a warmth and brightness at the same time. If I remember Adirondack, I found it a little dry sounding. Could be wrong.

I think Jake Macclay from Beehive likes using Adirondack spruce ... I prefer Engelmann tops as they have a warmth and brightness at the same time. If I remember Adirondack, I found it a little dry sounding. Could be wrong.

I like the sound of Adirondack on guitars. Never heard it on a ukulele and was wondering if it would be the same kind of sound as on a guitar.

I have a Sitka,Englemann and Carpathian Spuce top uke....they each look and sound different....I think the builder has more to do with the tone than the wood....the bracing,thickness etc.....

if you can describe the tone you are looking for..pretty sure the builder can help you....

Last edited:
I have a Sitka,Englemann and Carpathian Spuce top uke....they each look and sound different....I think the builder has more to with the tone than the wood....the bracing,thickness etc.....

if you can describe the tone you are looking for..pretty sure the builder can help you....

Wow, Carpathian is a new one for me. I'm at a loss for words when describing tone. When I hear Sitka and Adirondack guitars, the Adirondack makes me "pay attention". There seems to be more there. So maybe I need to listen to a bunch of ukes?

I have an adi top William King tenor and it has superb sound.

As spruce top ukuleles go, does Adirondack spruce have any advantage over Sitka or "regular" spruce?

I have a tenor, by Michael Zuch, that has this top. I think it has great tone. Of course, all three of my ukes have great tone -- the Adirondack, one of Koa, and an Engelmann spruce. Got a sinker Redwood on the way, and if it is like the builder's other Redwood tops, it will also sound terrific. Lot of factors here, not the least of which is the builder ...

I have a Sitka,Englemann and Carpathian Spuce top uke....they each look and sound different....I think the builder has more to do with the tone than the wood....the bracing,thickness etc.....

I'm having a Mya-Moe baritone built and am trying to decide between Sitka or Engelmann. Which do you prefer?

I'm having a Mya-Moe baritone built and am trying to decide between Sitka or Engelmann. Which do you prefer?

I like all my ukes equally....each one sounds different from the other
the Sitka has bearclaw in it so gives the top a very nice look....the Englemann has straight tight grain which is nice too and more white in color....but if you are trying to find out which one sounds better for your ear best to talk to the builder and give him your feedback on what kind of tone you looking for...:)

Last edited:

The rumor on Adi is that it's loud, it's wider grained than other spruces, and it takes longer to open up.

I have an Adi topped guitar and can vouch for its loudness. :D

And, I have a hunch it has to do with THE piece of tonewood that was used on that uke, guitar whatever. Always amazed when I go into a shop with several of the exact same models...one almost always shines above the rest.

The rumor on Adi is that it's loud, it's wider grained than other spruces, and it takes longer to open up.

I have an Adi topped guitar and can vouch for its loudness. :D

I've noticed that when comparing my sitka topped guitar with an Adirondack topped guitar. (Didn't have enough cash so I went with sitka)

All other things being equal, would the same difference be there with smaller bodied ukuleles?

I've noticed that when comparing my sitka topped guitar with an Adirondack topped guitar. (Didn't have enough cash so I went with sitka)

All other things being equal, would the same difference be there with smaller bodied ukuleles?

I've tried to come up with a logical answer, but I really don't know. Part of what makes an Adirondack guitar loud is the high tension steel strings that really move the top. Tension and surface area (especially relative to thickness) are much less on a ukulele. The scale is smaller and the strings vibrate and sustain less. I'd be inclined to say it makes more difference on a guitar than a ukulele.

The loudest uke I ever played had a tight, straight grained adi top. Amazing volume and nice overall tone. Talk about cut through. If I was gonna go a spruce topped uke again there's no way I could be convinced to look elsewhere. Plus, in my opinion it's a more aesthetically pleasing variety generally. I guess it makes sense that any tonal/volume differences would be magnified on a guitar top given how much more real estate you're dealing with.

So far the only spruce top ukes I've tried were from Kala and Lanikai. Neither identified what variety of spruce was used for the top. So I'm guessing if I want to try red adirondack, I have to find higher end ukuleles.

Any recommendations?

Last edited:
Not that I am an expert, but unless you are comparing the exact same ukes with only different spruce tops, then I would not think the comparison can be really that valid, as there are too many other variables. And even one poster noted that even the exact same models, and you even get variances. So, if you trying many different brands and models, the sound differences are less likely to be due mainly which type of spruce top and more likely to be due to the many other factors, e.g. construction, strings, laminate or solid, etc., So, probably best not to eliminate any particular wood top uke without trying it first. Just my 2 cents.

It is my experience that judging one species of wood (spruces) against another in a uke size is total folly. To say that Adirondack sounds one way and Sitka sounds another, is not correct. Each and every uke has to stand on its own merits, period. A good luthier can draw the sound this way or that, depending on the quality of the wood.

Top Bottom