Ouch!

Nickie

Reaction score
Last eve I was playing my beautiful Ohana, and suddenly, I felt a stinging in my finger,on the pad, where it meets the strings, and I couldn't chord anymore. I looked at it with a magnifier (very strong) and can see nothing, but it hurt like hell, for about 24 hours. It felt exactly like a splinter. I magnified the strings, frets, and fretboard, ran my (other) fingers over it, nothing. I'm off work tomorrow and want to play!
Has anyone here ever had this happen? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Last eve I was playing my beautiful Ohana, and suddenly, I felt a stinging in my finger,on the pad, where it meets the strings, and I couldn't chord anymore. I looked at it with a magnifier (very strong) and can see nothing, but it hurt like hell, for about 24 hours. It felt exactly like a splinter. I magnified the strings, frets, and fretboard, ran my (other) fingers over it, nothing. I'm off work tomorrow and want to play!

Yeah...get the Hog out and go for a cruise......Nah ..too cold probabaly...it is here anyway.......

oh ...other suggestions ..ummm ...use an open tuning and play a barre avoiding the poorly finger . Or a bottle neck slide....funnnnnn......

FCFA open F

GDGB open G

should be okay for a sop / concert ....Tenor I don't know A C# E A should be open A...just a thought...

Tomorrow might be a good day to work on slide ukulele.

Heyyyy !!!!! .............I wass just ....well ...da noive ....;)...editting can be such a b.........by word for missing out on being the first to make a suggestion ....grrr:mad::D

It felt exactly like a splinter. I magnified the strings, frets, and fretboard, ran my (other) fingers over it, nothing. I'm off work tomorrow and want to play!

After I passed the 60 year mark a couple years ago, I decided that the reason for many of the pains that come and go are a result of passing the the 60 year mark. I certainly don't want to infer that you are anywhere near that age bracket, (speaking only for myself of course). I get the little fingertip pains you are describing once in a while and I lay off the uke for half a day and it seems to go away.

It could be a paper cut.

Or if your hands get dry and cracked like mine do in the winter (frostbite damage from years ago), it could just be a split in your calluses caused by friction against the strings.

In either case, you will not 'see' anything other than a hairline split in the skin. But yea, it hurts like f*#k! LOL.

So far, the only cream or lotion that helps is called 'Cera Ve'. I've tried more than 20 OTC hand/skin care remedies as well as olive oil, and so far this one does more and lasts longer, even after repeated handwashings.

[EDIT] Unless you actually want further pain, do NOT under any circumstances chop onions or garlic or touch rubbing alchohol until it fully heals. I am warning you - you will see STARS from the pain of such exposure!

Last edited:
Sometimes I'll get a stinging like that on the middle finger of my left hand. I get it when I've been playing tenor a lot. Switching to a concert usually alleviates the pain. You might try lower tension strings or the Southcoast soft strings.

Possible to damage a nerve. I had to have a cyst removed from the tip of my thumb several years ago.

I get those mystery pains on my fingertips every once in a while but not lately. I usta go after them with a magnifying glass and a needle, but I don't do that any more. It's probably just a very little nerve ending that got pinched. Sorry for your pain and inability to play.

"Into each life some rain must fall . . ." :eek:ld:

That has happened to me before and thanks to the advice given here I was told that sometime the calluses have a tendency to pinch the nerves on the fingertips. Using a nail file I just file the calluses down a bit and the pain goes away.

Dan

Heyyyy !!!!! .............I wass just ....well ...da noive ....;)...editting can be such a b.........by word for missing out on being the first to make a suggestion ....grrr:mad::D

quite right. But it bears saying twice just in case it got lost in the midst of all the periods................................................

Top Bottom