Tuning Strings Up 1 and more tension

UkeInTW

Reaction score
Hi All,

There is a song that requires tuning up one, so A,D,F#,B. Wondering if any issue to do this on one of my ukes, both string and uke wise, handling the higher tension.

Saw on HMS that they did it with Fremont Soprano strings on a tenor to allow for more tension. What is the difference with strings made for a Soprano? I had thought the only difference between same strings for different uke sizes was in the string length, but this seems to imply they can handle more tension?

I have several tenor ukes with different strings and was thinking of trying to tune one up, but wanted to make sure no issue to break the strings or cause issue on my uke. All are low G strings made for tenor ukes

1. Compass Rose, with Savarez Corum and Alliance Classical guitar strings
2. LdFM - dont know what strings are on this one, maybe Southcoast
3. Halekoa - think these are Aquila nylguts.
4. Couple of Pepe Romero - Grand tenor, Labella strings, Tiny tenor labela strings.

Wondering if any of these have any issue to handle tuning one up and higher tension. Thank you.

If I were trying this, I'd contact Dirk at Southcoast. Rather than add tension that your builder didn't intend, get strings made for your purpose. I wouldn't try increasing tension on any of your very high-end instruments.

In addition to the other suggestions...

Keep in mind that the same reference pitches of A4-D4-F#4-B4 will have less tension on a soprano than say on longer scale lenths like tenor.

Also, depending upon which exact strings you use can also determine how much tension is put on the bridge, as SOME strings have more tension than others, not only within nylon sets, but also fluorocarbon and Aquila sets. The tension is not only a factor of the string diameters, but as has been discussed previously elsewhere here on UU, 'linear density' is the other factor in determining tension at a given scale length.

As per the above, I find most sopranos to have a lot LESS tension than a tenor, even if both have the SAME strings on, i.e. Oasis Bright High G's on BOTH ukes or D'Addario Titanium T2 on BOTH ukes, soprano has less tension to me.

So you may find as per the recommended research that if you plan to use a soprano to tune up to ADF#B (which is also called a 'Canadian' tuning) that the added tension on a soprano MIGHT have minimal impact at the smaller scale length.

But do your own research with the builders, as nobody else is responsible if your uke collapses or snaps in half or tears the bridge clean off due to added tension....

Like others have said, be careful and ask first with each builder not to damage you uke, breaking your strings will be your least worries, you could damage your neck or rip the bridge out.. Aside that every uke and strings will sound different with up tuning, just like in regular tuning. there are also different types of tension strings..ie, light, medium light, med, light heavy, heavy...also different scales have different tension..
playabilty and comfort becomes harder on higher tension, different strings affects the tone also...

Thanks all for the suggestions. Below is quote from HMS site mentioning using Fremont soprano strings to allow for the higher tension. And also the link. Love the song that Corey plays and nice sound.

The Ukulele-
This is a Collings mahogany tenor (UT1) that Corey recently bought to have an ukulele tuned one step up. So he used Fremont soprano strings to allow for the tension caused by tuning higher. The tuning is one step up so A D F# B.

http://www.theukulelereview.com/2014/09/27/the-man-the-music-the-mic-and-the-ukulele/

The only other issue in addition to the ones proposed with using strings tuned for GCEA up a whole step would be slightly decreased string life I would imagine, due to the higher tension.

It would be prudent to contact the manufacturer of each uke you have, from a warranty perspective. I know MyaMoe makes it very clear that on their instruments, they offer a separate D6 set of strings to accomodate the higher string tension.

Top Bottom