App to Memorize the Fretboard

CompleteThink

Reaction score
I developed a free Android app to help memorize the notes on the fretboard called "Fretboard Learn". The app has a bunch of game modes which let the user practice matching the name of note to a position on the fretboard (identifying the highlighted note, finding note X on string Y, and finding all X notes on the neck). Also you can customize the tuning. It's helped me a lot using it while I worked on it.

Try it out and let me know what you think (are there any features or options I should add?). Thanks.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fretboard.game.android&hl=en

08J8vvY.png

If you do check it out make sure to select "Ukelele" from the instrument drop down. Also verify that the tuning is correct for what you want to practice.

I need something like this. I don't have an Android phone, though.

Last edited:
I'm looking into making an iOS version also. Wanted to find out if there was interest first before starting. Thanks!

Yes. I have an interest. My iPhone is messed up. Long story. Where I would love an app like this, is on the Kindle Fire.

Thanks for making this. :rock:

I just installed it on my Asus Nexus 7 2013 FHD, running the latest Android update (5.1.2 I think?). Works great.

I set it for ukulele and left the other options at their defaults.

I played the first 3 modes and it seems to work well.

This app will be very helpful in memorizing the fretboard, and the quiz-mode nature makes it feel a lot like using a digital version of flash cards (which is a good thing in my opinion), that most folks are familiar with. The options that are available seem to be very good and offer meaningful choices, although I have not tried them all yet.

The only thing that will take some getting used to is the strip of note names across the bottom (in lanscape mode, forces you to use your thumbs, but I usually use my tablets in landscape mode, so I am used to this), and being alphabetical. But I think this is better than any arbitrary order of note names, as it forces you to know the indicated note, and not think in the 'tuning order' of the strings.

Maybe another useful option for listing these notes could be something else like 'circle-of-fifths-order', but the trap there is relying upon memory of the circle-of-fifths, but that is not necessarily a bad thing, and might even help to reinforce memory of it.

By no means am I an expert in UX/UI design, but have seen and used lots of other apps that while being a great idea, due to UX/UI hindrances, are a great bother to use, and I am glad to see your app is an exception to this. I think it is very well done. It's a real shame that a great concept is all too often ruined by poor execution. I am happy to see your app have a clean and simple interface.

But since I am more an iOS user than Android, I'd love to be able to run this on my iPod Touch (4th-gen) or iPad3. I would definitely be interested in an iOS version and would even be willing to pay (OMG, ye$ PAY) a few dollars for an app like this.

The only request I would have is to make the minimum iOS version required NOT be the latest version (like maybe iOS 6.1.2) since you will orphan many devices that cannot be updated to iOS 8, which is still having lots of issues, and I for one am holding off on going past iOS 7.1.2 on my iPad3 until all the bugs are worked out. I am not sure what Apple's policy is, but last time I checked as a developer, you have the option in Xcode to install (via the Xcode preferences) support for older iOS devices/iOS versions.

Thanks for sharing this app and notifying us here via UU. :)

Yes. I have an interest. My iPhone is messed up. Long story. Where I would love an app like this, is on the Kindle Fire.

I remember reading somewhere that it is in fact possible to load the 'Google Play Store' app onto the Kindle Fire. Not sure if it was the Android forums or XDA Developers forums, or on stackexchange, but once you do, you should be able to load any app from the Google Play Store.

I also recall seeing a way to 'sideload' any app via it's APK file, into any Android based-device, Kindle Fire or otherwise. FYI: The Amazon Kindle Fire is running a customised version of Android, which is 'hackable' via instructions you can find at the above mentioned sites, if memory serves.

My experience with this (sideloading an APK file) is limited only to installing Kodi (XBMC) via it's APK file onto my Nexus 7, so I can't really offer exact instructions for the Kindle Fire, but I'm sure that some google-fu can offer some instructions for you to follow...

OK, I just downloaded it. Just played it once but it looks like it will be helpful. Thanks!

Now available on the Amazon Android App Store (for Kindles, etc):

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Think-Fretboard-Learn/dp/B00TMTQWU2

Thanks Booli for the suggestion. It was very easy to submit - I didn't have to make any changes at all to it. As long as you don't include any Google Play Store specific libraries it just works. They have a nice little automated test tool that runs when you submit to check for compatibility.

Top Bottom