Wtb: Soprano uke with radius fretboard

keeponukin

Reaction score
I'm open to all brands and tonewoods, just as long as it has a radiused fretboard and is soprano scale.

I'm not necessarily in need of a high end instrument, but it seems that this is the nature of ukes with radiused fretboards. So please let me know what you might have available.

Thanks, Al

See if you can get on Mya Moe's list.

I appreciate that suggestion Steve, but I'd prefer a used instrument as I'm not totally committed to the radiused fretboard. It'll much more comfortable for me to flip a used instrument if necessary, then to buy new and sell it shortly thereafter.

lowest end is a makala dolphin although I don't know what the radius is.

Get Kilin Reece at FR String repair to put a radius on any Soprano you are looking at. Might cost $300. I will get him to do it for a Kamaka Baritone at some point.

Thanks BN - does the entire Makala line have radiused fretboards, or only the dolphin model?

Thanks BN - does the entire Makala line have radiused fretboards, or only the dolphin model?

I really have no idea. interesting that searching for radius of makala dolphin turns up nothing.

With mine I popped out the nut and filed the bottom. Putting it back in I realized that was a mistake as the radiusing put the inner strings almost on the frets. After that I started to only file nut slots.

Are the dolphins consistently slightly radiused? Or has that changed over time?

my two here (both plastic tub, one bowl backed, one flat) dont seem radiused... is it visible to the naked eye?

Well, if you're not opposed to a higher-end soprano, you might want to see if this Maui Music has a radiused fretboard. Every one I've owned did, and it was a pretty pronounced (and very comfortable) radius at that.

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/180U-2148.htm

Holy moly. Tom, I check Elderly every day and missed this. It doesn't come up even now. This is strange. Great uke though! I might buy it! Where is this link from? Lol

*** I should clarify: the link works, but I can't find via my own search on the website. Great ukes in any event! Peter is the man!

Last edited:
Good luck, soupking! I had a Maui Music concert that, to this day, was my longest-reigning favorite uke. But the inevitable churn of UAS led me to sell it to finance my ongoing habit of trying new ukes I can't afford. UAS will be the death of me.

Holy moly. Tom, I check Elderly every day and missed this. It doesn't come up even now. This is strange. Great uke though! I might buy it! Where is this link from? Lol

*** I should clarify: the link works, but I can't find via my own search on the website. Great ukes in any event! Peter is the man!

Good luck, soupking! I had a Maui Music concert that, to this day, was my longest-reigning favorite uke. But the inevitable churn of UAS led me to sell it to finance my ongoing habit of trying new ukes I can't afford. UAS will be the death of me.

Ha!!! What Tom said. :wallbash:

Amen to that. Someone should get this sentiment tattooed 'cause it's the UAS truth. I've let so many good ones go- they were all good- for pennies. S'oh well, you live and you learn. Peter's ukes are just unreal. I've owned several and I wish I owned them all plus more… -- Matt

Last edited:
Amen to that. Someone should get this sentiment tattooed 'cause it's the UAS truth. I've let so many good ones go- they were all good- for pennies. S'oh well, you live and you learn. Peter's ukes are just unreal. I've owned several and I wish I owned them all plus more… -- Matt

I'll have it engraved on my headstone.

Top Bottom