PDA

View Full Version : Solid bodied recommendations

igorthebarbarian
02-12-2015, 06:26 PM
Hola guys, I am in the process of moving from a 3 bedroom stand-alone house down to a 2-bedroom apartment. So I'll be sharing walls and need to probably weed out the herd a bit too. And probably no more banjo ukes :( or I'll have to mute them heavily. That said, does anyone have any recommendations on a solid bodied uke? I need it be quiet obviously (I realize that sort of goes against everything in principal). I've had a early Eleuke which was good but maybe something nicer than that.

Maybe a Fluke SB? Also there's not a lot of Baritones unless you go up to the Pono's which might be too much / out of my price range (they're about $700 at HMS). Any personal recommendations that you have or have played?

Thanks!

Brad Bordessa
02-12-2015, 06:48 PM
I got a Pono solidbody baritone last month and it's fantastic. If that's what you want, save you pennies because it's worth all of them. It's not super quiet. In fact, it can be kind of loud, but don't play it hard and you can probably get away with it.

PhilUSAFRet
02-12-2015, 07:19 PM
MIMS has a nice deal on one right now: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/171466369656?lpid=82&chn=ps :Properly set up as well.

igorthebarbarian
02-12-2015, 07:25 PM
Thanks Phil. I do like and trust MIM. I didn't realize she was selling Pono's now. I guess - if like Hippie Guy says - you're going to do it and spend the big money, I should get the baritone that I'd probably want. But there's a part of me that doesn't think a good enough player to warrant spending that much money on a uke!

Andy Chen
02-12-2015, 07:32 PM
I love my Pono TE Mango Deluxe from HMS.

There are a lot of lovers of the Godin Multiuke too. In fact, there's a modified Koa Godin on sale at the Marketplace right now.

Jim Hanks
02-13-2015, 02:30 AM
. But there's a part of me that doesn't think a good enough player to warrant spending that much money on a uke!
Thats crazy talk. :-) Cost has more to do with desire than skill.

If you're open to a great steel string option, look into the Konablaster from Blue Star Guitar. The stock baritone is under $350 but has a longer scale than I like so I got a custom 19" bari still under $400

Liquidayno
02-13-2015, 09:34 AM
There are a lot of lovers of the Godin Multiuke too. In fact, there's a modified Koa Godin on sale at the Marketplace right now.

I was just playing it, sounds and plays great! Best off all worlds: great acoustic tone, great amplified acoustic tone, and access to a ton of sounds with 13-pin output!

Just waiting for the right new owner...

bazmaz
02-13-2015, 10:00 AM
Will give you my recommendations based on both those I have played and own. I find that at the cheaper end, the pickups really let down the ultra cheap ones and as such I would rule out the Eleukes myself too - never played a nice one. Of the others

1. Risa Uke Solid - great value - looks that some people hate - but very playable - great pickup and perfect backup / practice uke
2. Godin Multiuke - not really a true solid body (chambered) but very quiet for practice - SUPERB instrument - and one of the nicest necks I have played on a uke
3. Custom - I had a solid body made for me in the UK by Tinguitar - it is JUST SUBLIME - I put that out there for interest only - but a custom build gives you all the options you could wish for.

Best tip for solid bodies - all about the pickup. They are built to make little noise unplugged and therefore they need to do ONE THING well - and that is play good plugged in. Never will understand the drive to cheap nasty versions - they do that horribly.

Tootler
02-13-2015, 12:19 PM
Risa Uke'Ellie. More conventional than the Risa Uke Solid (aka Risa Stick) but the same high quality manufacture and pickup.

Best tip for solid bodies - all about the pickup. They are built to make little noise unplugged and therefore they need to do ONE THING well - and that is play good plugged in. Never will understand the drive to cheap nasty versions - they do that horribly.

Totally agree.

igorthebarbarian
02-13-2015, 07:02 PM
I had forgot about the Konablaster as an option --- and reasonable at that too. I know you and Iamesper are/were big fans - and he did some wonderful ambient stuff with his. Do you have it DBGE and is it just normal electric guitar strings on it? And is it fairly quiet unplugged with whatever strings it uses? I don't want to move in and get complaints right away! Don't want to be that guy!

Also, I didn't realize there were so many options, which is nice - thank you all. I think I'd go baritone since I kind of like the deeper tone.

I guess I know where some of my tax refund is going this year!

Thats crazy talk. :-) Cost has more to do with desire than skill.

If you're open to a great steel string option, look into the Konablaster from Blue Star Guitar. The stock baritone is under $350 but has a longer scale than I like so I got a custom 19" bari still under $400

kissing
02-14-2015, 12:36 AM
I'll make a few comments on the instruments mentioned...

GODIN:
I don't think a Godin is appropriate for what you need.
They are great, amazing electric ukuleles. I owned one and I loved it. However they are not made to be silent unplugged. They have a significant acoustic sound volume and people will hear it through the walls. My family certainly noticed when I played it late at night!

RISA:

The Risa's....
Well I have owned nearly every Risa electric model:
-Soprano, Concert and Tenor Uku-solids
-Soprano and Tenor steel string electric (single coils)
-Soprano and Tenor steel string Les Paul style electric (humbuckers)

I absolutely loved their steel string models. However, they do tend to be quite an investment. Certainly worth it though!

The nylon-strung Uke-solids.. I have mixed feelings now.
Pros:
-Excellent sound quality from Shadow pickups
-Compact, sleek design
-Good, neat construction

Cons:
-I did not like how the strings are held at the top of the ukulele. Basically there are 4 pinsized holes at the top of the ukulele, through which you thread the strings into and tie a knot. Some of the wood gets worn away each time you change strings and often the knot in the string would get jammed in the hole. It is a torturous chore to get that stuck string out of the hole

-The wood they use to make the Uke-Solids is just about the softest, most fragile wood I've ever seen used on an ukulele.
While the instrument may appear rugged and durable, the wood itself is very prone to denting. Just the tiniest bump and it will get dents and dings.

As mentioned, the Uke-Ellie does "fix" some of the issues I've mentioned. However, I personally cannot stand friction tuners.
If the Uke-Ellie came with peghead tuners, then I would consider getting one.

I have not tried this particular electric ukulele myself, but it seems interesting:
http://www.amazon.com/Traveler-Guitar-Ultra-Light-Travel-Ukulele/dp/B007TWGLLY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1423913535&sr=8-4&keywords=electric+travel+ukulele

They seem to have copied the concept of the Risa uke-stick and improved upon how the strings attach to the instrument.
Instead of having those pinholes that I complained about, they have the strings tie into loops. A far more durable and sensible idea, in my opinion.
They have the same electronics (Shadow) as the Risa, so they *should* sound similar.

ELEUKE

Ok, I owned 5 different Eleukes in the past. Some were the older models, some were new. Quality control has been hit and miss, although better results with the newer models.

However, I have yet to hear anything negative from someone who has had the new and improved Teton models.

I think the problem with the Eleukes was that the company used a crappy undersaddle piezo. Theoretically, I could swap the stock undersaddle element and replace it with something that I know will improve it greatly (an Artec undersaddle pickup). However, I don't currently have an Eleuke to try this on.

PONO:

In my opinion, if the Pono solid body is not out of your price range, it may be the best quality and value:
This one's currently $559 with case!
http://www.theukulelesite.com/shop-by/brand/pono/pono-te-tenor-electric-acacia.html
*barely being able to resist myself*

billten
02-14-2015, 01:11 AM
My lovely bride ordered me one of these for my birthday, it arrives early next week but i thought i'd throw it into the mix for fun...

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/warren-ellis-signature-tenor/

iDavid
02-14-2015, 01:28 AM
My lovely bride ordered me one of these for my birthday, it arrives early next week but i thought i'd throw it into the mix for fun...

http://www.eastwoodguitars.com/warren-ellis-signature-tenor/

Which color did you get?

billten
02-14-2015, 07:38 AM
Which color did you get?

Being a lefty, i got the cream color. Can't wait :)

Cornfield
02-14-2015, 08:14 AM
Risa LP is da bomb. It's too cool for school.

igorthebarbarian
02-14-2015, 07:11 PM
on the ones that use steel strings - like the Eastwood tenor guitar and I assume the Konablaster bari - I assume you're using steel strings? And how loud are those unplugged? I'd probably get a headphone amp/ portable amp thingy.
And/or I'm guessing that the Pono bari solid-body just uses regular DGBE bari strings - usually DG wound and fluoro/nylagut for the BE.

iDavid
02-14-2015, 11:01 PM
Being a lefty, i got the cream color. Can't wait :)

I had a black one for a bit. I should have kept it! I am seriously thinking of getting the Cherry one, not sure about one or two pups.

kissing
02-15-2015, 02:07 AM
on the ones that use steel strings - like the Eastwood tenor guitar and I assume the Konablaster bari - I assume you're using steel strings? And how loud are those unplugged? I'd probably get a headphone amp/ portable amp thingy.
And/or I'm guessing that the Pono bari solid-body just uses regular DGBE bari strings - usually DG wound and fluoro/nylagut for the BE.

Have you ever played a steel string electric guitar?
thats exactly how the Eastwood tenor guitar or any other steel string electric uke will sound.

Not loud, but you just hear the faint clang of strings.

And you would definitely use electric guitar steel strings - otherwise they wont work! The pickups are magnetic!

That being said, I've also owned the Eastwood tenor guitar and tuned it like baritone uke. It is an awesome instrument! I advise getting medium or heavy gauge electric guitar strings since it has a shorter scale than a guitar

igorthebarbarian
02-15-2015, 02:23 PM
I think I'm going to save up and/or hope for a big tax refund for a Pono solid bodied baritone from HMS. Tune it standard DGBE. Will update when I get the funds funded.

kissing
02-15-2015, 03:58 PM
I think I'm going to save up and/or hope for a big tax refund for a Pono solid bodied baritone from HMS. Tune it standard DGBE. Will update when I get the funds funded.

Awesome choice! I am envious

Booli
02-15-2015, 04:52 PM

This cannot be overstated enough. Baz has said numerous times that if you get a uke with a pickup already installed, and the whole deal is pretty cheap, you are buying something that has compromises on the uke, the pickup, or both. My experience below is one that bears this out completely.

In April 2014 I bought a Sojing Tenor 'silent ukulele' on Amazon for $165 (the same Amazon seller Delfy Music is Traderfiasco/Jimmy's Music on eBay - who shipped next day BTW), and while the fit, finish and intonation were surprisingly very good, the preamp circuit they used is based upon an LM386 op-amp IC, and to my ear sounds like the worst thing in the world, so low-fi that 30 yr old AM radio sounds better.

The preamp would also cut out intermittently, and I traced it to bad solder joints between the volume/tone controls and the preamp circuit board, which I fixed myself, but it still sounded bad. Rather than send it back, and seeing all the poor reviews for the Eleuke models (which were the only 'silent' ukes I could find near this price in a TENOR), I decided to keep the Sojing and UPGRADE the pickup and preamp.

I had on hand, for a different uke a Mi-Si Acoustic Trio pickup ($115), which I installed into the Sojing once I removed the existing preamp and rod piezo. The Mi-Si does not use a battery, but rather has a 'super capacitor' that you can recharge indefinitely. A 60-second charge is said to give 8 hrs of play time. However I have played it an hour per day for almost 3 weeks before the sound was low and weak and then would recharge it. YMMV.

For a headphone amp situation, that is NOT an iPhone or similar, I got a Korg PXMINI ($99). The PXMINI has over 200 effects and amp simulations and is smaller than an iPhone and runs off either a single AA battery or via USB. It has an input for the instrument, a mono output to go to an amp, as well as a headphone output with volume control. It also has a chromatic tuner, a metronome, as well as 120 different drum beats that you can practice with. [edit]It ALSO has an 'mp3' input as well as a pitch shifter for that input so you can jam along with music from an external source. I have used and tested all these functions and they work very well.

I run the PXMINI off of a rechargable 2400 mAh USB battery pack. Both the PXMINI and the battery pack are velcro'd to the 'body' near the lower bout.

It works really well and I am very happy for the sound and the playability. I don't use any of the distortion or flange effects, but the PXMINI has about a dozen different reverbs and delays as well as compression and EQ, so you have lots of control over the sound. In headphones, with some light compression and a light amount of 'hall' reverb to give it some space, it is worlds away better than the original LM386 preamp that was originally in the Sojing, and while the Mi-Si is great on it's own, there was not an easy, small cheap way to get it into headphones.

I had also previously bought one of the Vox Amplug headphone amps, (the 'acoustic' model) but found no matter what the settings, I was getting some terrible hiss and this made it unusable to me. I sent it back and got the PXMINI instead.

There is an acoustic sound, but I have been told that folks in the next room can barely hear it, if at all, but if I dont want to put on headphones and need to quickly squeeze in some practice, the Soljing is loud enough for just me to hear it without a problem.

Hope this helps. :)

kissing
02-15-2015, 05:30 PM
This cannot be overstated enough. Baz has said numerous times that if you get a uke with a pickup already installed, and the whole deal is pretty cheap, you are buying something that has compromises on the uke, the pickup, or both. My experience below is one that bears this out completely.

In April 2014 I bought a Sojing Tenor 'silent ukulele' on Amazon for $165 (the same Amazon seller Delfy Music is Traderfiasco/Jimmy's Music on eBay - who shipped next day BTW), and while the fit, finish and intonation were surprisingly very good, the preamp circuit they used is based upon an LM386 op-amp IC, and to my ear sounds like the worst thing in the world, so low-fi that 30 yr old AM radio sounds better.

The preamp would also cut out intermittently, and I traced it to bad solder joints between the volume/tone controls and the preamp circuit board, which I fixed myself, but it still sounded bad. Rather than send it back, and seeing all the poor reviews for the Eleuke models (which were the only 'silent' ukes I could find near this price in a TENOR), I decided to keep the Sojing and UPGRADE the pickup and preamp.

I had on hand, for a different uke a Mi-Si Acoustic Trio pickup ($115), which I installed into the Sojing once I removed the existing preamp and rod piezo. The Mi-Si does not use a battery, but rather has a 'super capacitor' that you can recharge indefinitely. A 60-second charge is said to give 8 hrs of play time. However I have played it an hour per day for almost 3 weeks before the sound was low and weak and then would recharge it. YMMV.

For a headphone amp situation, that is NOT an iPhone or similar, I got a Korg PXMINI ($99). The PXMINI has over 200 effects and amp simulations and is smaller than an iPhone and runs off either a single AA battery or via USB. It has an input for the instrument, a mono output to go to an amp, as well as a headphone output with volume control. It also has a chromatic tuner, a metronome, as well as 120 different drum beats that you can practice with. [edit]It ALSO has an 'mp3' input as well as a pitch shifter for that input so you can jam along with music from an external source. I have used and tested all these functions and they work very well.

I run the PXMINI off of a rechargable 2400 mAh USB battery pack. Both the PXMINI and the battery pack are velcro'd to the 'body' near the lower bout.

It works really well and I am very happy for the sound and the playability. I don't use any of the distortion or flange effects, but the PXMINI has about a dozen different reverbs and delays as well as compression and EQ, so you have lots of control over the sound. In headphones, with some light compression and a light amount of 'hall' reverb to give it some space, it is worlds away better than the original LM386 preamp that was originally in the Sojing, and while the Mi-Si is great on it's own, there was not an easy, small cheap way to get it into headphones.

I had also previously bought one of the Vox Amplug headphone amps, (the 'acoustic' model) but found no matter what the settings, I was getting some terrible hiss and this made it unusable to me. I sent it back and got the PXMINI instead.

There is an acoustic sound, but I have been told that folks in the next room can barely hear it, if at all, but if I dont want to put on headphones and need to quickly squeeze in some practice, the Soljing is loud enough for just me to hear it without a problem.

Hope this helps. :)

On your Sojing, consider just replacing the undersaddle piezo unit and leaving the preamp for now.

In my experience with many inexpensive electrics - the undersaddle is almost always the culprit.

This Artec undersaddle piezo unit will set you back only $7 or so, but I predict it will do wonders for your Sojing
http://ebay.com.au/itm/331379789493

These are the same pickups used on more expensive instruments but rebranded.

Does the Sojing pickup connect to the preamp via a plug or solder? I have been wanting to know. Been thinking of ordering a Sojing for myself so i can upgrade it with the Artec unit.

In all honesty, I prefer the older Sojing preamp (same as used in the early Eleukes) than Eleuke's newer preamps. The older one has a more mellow tone, while the new one is harsher and a bit overpowered.

Im pretty sure your problems with the Sojing will be resolved with a better undersaddle. the cutting out is usually due to crappy undersaddle.

I have "fixed" many electric ukes and guitars with this simple replacement. I have also installed the Artec passive pickup as a standalone in a few instruments. They are amazing quality

Booli
02-15-2015, 07:02 PM
On your Sojing, consider just replacing the undersaddle piezo unit and leaving the preamp for now.

Thanks for your reply...

All of the above in my previous post has already been done a long time ago. The Mi-Si (http://mi-si.com/products/) comes with the LR Baggs pickup ribbon already soldered to the preamp board.

See picture below:

http://mi-si.com/wp-content/themes/misi/timthumb.php?src=http://mi-si.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/acoustic-trio.jpg&w=185&zc=0

I have in fact removed one of these pickup ribbons from the preamp board by desoldering it, and then and soldered on a 3/32" (or 2.5mm) female jack so as to experiment with different pickup elements (electronics is another one of my hobbies) but that is for another thread...

As of now, I have installed 3 Mi-Si pickups in my own instruments and 5 more for friends of mine in theirs, as well as a dozen other various different pickups in various/different guitars, ukes, acoustic basses, violins, banjos, flute, clarinet, etc

In my experience with many inexpensive electrics - the undersaddle is almost always the culprit.

This Artec undersaddle piezo unit will set you back only $7 or so, but I predict it will do wonders for your Sojing
http://ebay.com.au/itm/331379789493

These are the same pickups used on more expensive instruments but rebranded.

No doubt. That link is not working for me, but I have seen the Artec pickup elements for sale elsewhere (mostly UK sellers like RUMC and Southern Ukulele Store. (also aliexpress.com has them). I think that http://www.bluestarmusic.com also has them).

I have also used with good success a similar rod piezo pickup element from http://www.guitarfuel.com on several other instruments so far where I wanted a passive pickup and I have several external preamps to chose from in my home studio. The rod piezo pickups that Guitarfuel sells have a PZT substrate which is different from most of these cheaper rod piezo ones that sell for $5/dozen from Shenzen with free shipping.(but you wait 30 days to get it)

I am not sure what materials are in the Artec pickups, do you know offhand?

Guitarfuel sells pickups sized for bass, ukulele, oud, saz, and guitar, as well as a selection of other surface transducer pickups.

The Guitarfuel pickup is not branded, but also for sale on ebay, and the seller is 'somewhat' local to me in NJ, so I can get it usually in 2 days via regular parcel post.

Does the Sojing pickup connect to the preamp via a plug or solder? I have been wanting to know. Been thinking of ordering a Sojing for myself so i can upgrade it with the Artec unit.

Yes the Sojing pickup has the standard 3/32" (or 2.5mm) plug in the end of the cable from the rod piezo, and on the preamp board it has the mating female 3/32" (or 2.5mm) jack. There is a decent amount of space inside the body cavity of the Sojing.

One thing to note is that the Mi-Si preamp expects a piezo with a significantly lower impedance than what most rod piezo elements put out. Using any one of 3 different branded piezo rod pickup elements, some with different substrate materials are typically too 'hot' for the Mi-Si preamp and will distort even at minimum volume with anything played louder than harmonics. You can use a 470k resistor in series with the rod piezos to level out the signal so that it is closer to the LR Baggs element that is used in the Mi-Si.

I should also note that there is for sale in the market a 'flexible piezo cable' pickup that usually has a copper-colored braid on it, and this one is significantly less expensive than the LR Baggs or similar Fishman element, yet provides nearly the same output impedance as those, but it is about 3mm thick, where as the LR Baggs and Fishman elements are about only 1mm thick. All of the rod piezo elements that I have seen are about 3.5mm thick and this means you have to either route out the saddle slot, or sand/shave down your saddle significantly to compensate, if you want to preserve the height of your saddle and not make the string action too high.

Using a ribbon element like the LR Baggs, I have not felt the action needed adjusting much, save for one uke, and it was not too much to sand 1mm off the bottom of the saddle.

Remember you want to keep the 50/50 rule:
Not more than 50% of the saddle ABOVE the edge of the bridge (more can cause the front of the bridge to snap off or cause the saddle to tilt and that kills your intonation), and not more than 50% below the edge of the bridge (because the string resting on the saddle can actually hit the top front edge of the bridge in it's vibrating arc, which kills your sustain and can also effect intonation).

In all honesty, I prefer the older Sojing preamp (same as used in the early Eleukes) than Eleuke's newer preamps. The older one has a more mellow tone, while the new one is harsher and a bit overpowered.

My problem with the Sojing preamp is that they are using the LM386 IC as I had said this in my post above. You can buy a dozen of these chips for like $1, and supplemental parts for a preamp all together such as what is inside the Sojing can be had from Mouser or BG Micro for maybe another $5, and with schematics freely available online for 'LM386 preamp' and about 2 hrs of your time (if you go slow and know how to solder), you can replicate the exact circuit that is in the Sojing. Search for 'LM386 preamp' or 'JFET preamp' and you will see many examples.

My point is that their preamp circuit is the absolute bare minimum to amplify the signal, with minimal buffering, no biasing on the output and the circuit they use would actually sound much better if they biased the input for 12 volts instead of 9 volts. There is also zero shieilding inside the cavity of the Sojing, so this type of circuit is easily prone to both RF and EMI interference, despite running from a battery, as piezos can pickup hum easily from any nearby RF source (like the capacitors in your laptop screen, or your computer's power supply, to name just a few)

Im pretty sure your problems with the Sojing will be resolved with a better undersaddle. the cutting out is usually due to crappy undersaddle.

Yes. I agree. They were already resolved. I replaced everything as per my previous post. :)

Aside from the crappy sound, the circuit board of the preamp suffered from what is known as 'cold solder joints' all over the board. See this link (https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guide-excellent-soldering/common-problems) for more info with pictures on cold solder joints. In short, the cold solder joint caused the intermittent connection. I've been doing electronics for over 30 yrs and I troubleshooted this very thoroughly.

Below are a few pictures I took at the time when I removed the preamp from the Sojing:

http://i.imgur.com/hnYDI5g.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/J1qYhaT.jpg

I have "fixed" many electric ukes and guitars with this simple replacement. I have also installed the Artec passive pickup as a standalone in a few instruments. They are amazing quality

Your experience parallels mine, but with other/different brands. I will definitely add Artec to the list next time I need a pickup.

Kissing, Thanks for the heads up and recommendation.

kissing
02-15-2015, 09:19 PM
Thanks for your wealth of valuable information! Sure is helpful!

Sorry abt the broken link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331379789493?_mwBanner=1

The same company has two other piezo models - one version with gold instead of copper and another that is semi-flexible. However they only make guitar versions for those so far (which I have installed on guitars).

ukulelekarcsi
02-15-2015, 11:36 PM
Since steel-string solid bodied ukuleles were also mentioned, I can vouch for the quality of Blue Star Konablaster models: good pickups, well-made instruments, very fair prices. The only shop that carries them is Elderly, but on the other hand Bruce builds to order as well, and you can buy directly from him.

http://bluestarguitarcompany.com/

Booli
02-16-2015, 06:46 AM
There is a steel-string tenor for sale in the marketplace:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?104760-2014-East-Start-ESU-J584-RD

While not a true solid-body electric, this one is more like the Gibson ES-335 or Gretsch hollow-body electric guitars...

and the saga of a different fellow UU member who details his experience with his:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?95625-Fixing-Up-East-Start-Archtop

Booli
02-16-2015, 06:47 AM
Thanks for your wealth of valuable information! Sure is helpful!

Sorry abt the broken link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/331379789493?_mwBanner=1

The same company has two other piezo models - one version with gold instead of copper and another that is semi-flexible. However they only make guitar versions for those so far (which I have installed on guitars).

Thanks for fixing the link. Seems like this is a good pickup option. I will definitely keep this in mind for future upgrades.

igorthebarbarian
02-16-2015, 07:49 PM
Kissing, by the way/off topic, but I love that Taylor Swift cover you just did! Really fun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxZ71VzQnG0

Also, now I'm fluttering back to maybe a Risa Solid Concert as something I could get on the cheaper side while saving up big money for the Pono bari solid bodied.
Maybe order from Ukulele PuaPua in Honolulu, who appear to be legit:
http://www.hawaiianukuleleonline.com/imported-ukuleles/risa-ukulele
or from Germany and the maker themselves

Also, thank you for all the info too. You guys all rock/love this forum.

kissing
02-16-2015, 09:39 PM
Thanks for enjoying my vid :D

I've had my fun with Risa sticks:

Tenor Risa stick, clean:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNIimZxy3iw

Concert Risa stick with distortion:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tqY6OPtJzQ

If you're happy with re-entrant high-G tuning, the Risa sticks are excellent instruments.
I play low-G a lot more than high-G.. so that was a major drawback for me with the Risa sticks.
I've tried fluorocarbon non-wound low-G and did not like it.

Here's a few vids with the Risa steel strings I recorded a long time ago:

Soprano Single Coils:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkpn5bN2l1M

Soprano Les Paul:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwdW-IEqJ4M

I've got some Risa tenor steel strings videos... but they're mainly rhythm:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz9v3MkUGUk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqVkAGXmij0

Eastwood tenor guitar?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZwGP7Yl-z4

igorthebarbarian
03-08-2015, 04:48 AM
I went ahead and ordered the Risa solid "stick" in a Concert size. I ordered direct from the ukulele.de site which seems to be a great deal. With shipping and exchange rate it came out as $235 (or so) shipped to Arizona/USA
If I bought from a dealer site, it but was going to be $320 shipped so by going straight to Germany and the manufacturer I save $100--- win!
So now just wait for it/ and hope shipping goes smoothly. You never know with international shipping, and now it's coming to an apartment (fingers crossed).

Also I would've been ok with a Soprano stick, but just don't dig the white color. Is it better in person?

Finally i think the Pono Baritone BE electrics that HMS had are out of stock / out of print. And I'm not a tenor fan, of which they have a few of.

I'll post pics when Risa stick Concert shows up in a new thread.

Icelander53
03-08-2015, 05:14 AM
The Pono is not a solid body uke. It's chambered if I have my facts straight. Same with the Godin. I've played the Godin without amp and it's fairly loud and not really that great of a sound imo. However through and amp it was amazing. I bought the Risa for this reason and the steel strings. It's got the quality of the Pono. (about the same price range) and looks very stunning indeed. At least that black and chrome looks very good to me. I'm not going to comment on the sound because I won't have mine until tuesday but here it is being played by someone who knows how. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrTto-UimHg&spfreload=10 and here's a clean sound sample. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22zQwMl97kw

igorthebarbarian
03-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Thanks Icelander. So you are getting the steel string one right? If so please post pics when you get it. And did you order straight from Risa in Germany?
I may end up with one of those if I like this Risa concert stick. Esp if the Pono's (and Godin's) are a little loud when unplugged. And since that Baritone is out if stock (out of print?)

Icelander53
03-08-2015, 01:00 PM
Yes steel strings. I really don't want a electric for stage work. OMG that would be ugly. I like to rock out from time to time in my BVDs in the privacy of my own home. The steel strings will give much more of that electric guitar sound I'm after. I don't want it to sound like a uke particularly.

So if you are after a nice uke sound the Pono or Godin etc. is the way to go.

I plan on doing review of the Risa but I'm no pro so it won't be very in depth.

Tootler
03-08-2015, 01:36 PM
I went ahead and ordered the Risa solid "stick" in a Concert size. I ordered direct from the ukulele.de site which seems to be a great deal. With shipping and exchange rate it came out as $235 (or so) shipped to Arizona/USA
If I bought from a dealer site, it but was going to be $320 shipped so by going straight to Germany and the manufacturer I save $100--- win!
So now just wait for it/ and hope shipping goes smoothly. You never know with international shipping, and now it's coming to an apartment (fingers crossed).

Also I would've been ok with a Soprano stick, but just don't dig the white color. Is it better in person?

Finally i think the Pono Baritone BE electrics that HMS had are out of stock / out of print. And I'm not a tenor fan, of which they have a few of.

I'll post pics when Risa stick Concert shows up in a new thread.

Good choice.

I have concert Risa stick. They are excellent. I found the concert a better size than the soprano which felt too small to me even though I normally like conventional soprano ukes.

I also have the Risa Uke'Ellie which is a tenor and I have tuned it dGBE.

igorthebarbarian
03-18-2015, 04:56 PM
Got it today! Only ten days from Germany to Arizona.
I just opened it and it's nice! I think it is tuned with Aquilas (not Worths) so I'll change them out at some point. Really cool and compact and quiet. Can't wait to hook it up to the Honeytone amp.
The dollar/Euro exchange rate is good now; order some Risa's!