Wanted: new ukulele

i want to get a flea but idk if its that much better then what i have now.
now i have a mitchell mu-70. its alright, but i feel like i could get a better sound if i bought a little nicer ukulele. any ideas or suggestions for new ones? also prices?

What kind of strings you have your mitchell strung with? I got my wife one of these and it is strung with kala reds. It sounds pretty good. What is your price range also?

The Flea is a great uke, especially for the money.

JJ

This may be what you need

Well I have been wowed by the Ohana sopranino. Its solid mahogany, comes set up with Aquilas and I'll even give you the new Ohana sopranino gig bag. For $148.00. They are way cool. Become a Sopraninonian:shaka: The Ohana SK-50MG cedar top with flame mahogany is another great one. The Mainland Ukes are another great choice and AHHHH! I gotta stop!

wow! :) thanks everyone for the input. right now i have some strings i got from guitar center. idk what they are. and my price range is around 150? give or take a little. everybody says the flea is a great one. i want something that has a good tone.

Get an Ohana RB 70 concert ukulele....great sound
This is a unique ukulele that has a solid spruce top with a composite back and sides, similar to Ovation guitars. The sound is crisp and clear, with just the right amount of bass without getting muddy. Superb projection, Satin finish on the top, deluxe friction tuners and upgraded Aquila strings. and projection ...

$149.00 with gig bag and tuner!!!!

http://shop.compassmusicsales.com/Ohana-CK-70-RB_p_42.html

Buy an Ohana SK35. Two of my friends have bought them on my recommendation, and they both thank me for it. I recently took my own advice, and it is a superb instrument.

Ukantor.

edir: Sorry, just noticed it's a concert you want - make that the CK35.

Last edited:
I have a Tenor fluke, and its pretty darn wonderful... I also have a Concert Kala spruce top... also excellent :)

Either or will be better for you, but truthfully, imho, go fluke or flea, you can't kill them, they're loud and have a great tone.

i have the FLEA and i would say that anyone who plays ukulele should own one!! i am not sure i would chose it as my MAIN uke, but the FLEA has a great sound and i like to call them the indestruct-a-uke! humidity is not so much a worry.. and with the plastic you can drop it and not FREAK OUT! i wish i would have spent the extra cash when i was getting my first uke and just got the flea!

I've had every uke mentioned here and what everyone says is true. Another uke to consider is the Fender. I have the cheapest one and I love it. I re-strung it with D'addario Titaniums it sounds great. I've banged it against my desk to see if it would dent and it didn't. I tossed it across the room on to a table and it stayed in tune.

If any of you live in socal near huntington beach, they have a shop called island bazaar that sells your used ukuleles. they offered 75% to resell one of my ukes and if you buy one from them and want to upgrade later, they offered me full credit to upgrade my uke.

www.islandbazaarhb.com

I have a Concert Flea that is currently being upgraded to a rosewood fretboard. and I was lent a Ohana CK-70 by bassfiddlesteve of The Barnkickers to keep me ukin while I wait.

While he Ohana is a nice Uke, I really miss my Flea!

Loved the plastic fretboard, but it was showing wear and i decided to go with he upgrade since I was sending it in anyway.

Ya can't go wrong with the Flea.

JT

Well, I hate to be the odd man out here, but personally I think the flea is overpriced and dosen't sound as good as other instruments in the same price range. Now if buying something made in America is important, or you like how it looks, maybe it's a good choice although I would upgrade to the fluke if you can. I would also consider these foreign made instruments

Ohana, Bushman, Mainland, Kala, which all sell Chinese factory made instruments that sound decent.

I wouldn't call a Fluke the upgrade to the Flea, any more than call a Tenor an upgrade to a concert or soprano.

I called it an upgrade as the fluke sounds better than the flea and is more expensive. You're right with the terminology however. It's not upgrading necessarily between a soprano and a concert unless of course you have a crappy soprano and are looking to buy a better quality concert. Actually that's kind how I feel about the flea and fluke. Neither instrument I'm that impressed with (unless I were comparing plastic instruments) however again the fluke sounds much better than the flea in my opionion and is worth paying a little more for.

I called it an upgrade as the fluke sounds better than the flea and is more expensive. You're right with the terminology however. It's not upgrading necessarily between a soprano and a concert unless of course you have a crappy soprano and are looking to buy a better quality concert. Actually that's kind how I feel about the flea and fluke. Neither instrument I'm that impressed with (unless I were comparing plastic instruments) however again the fluke sounds much better than the flea in my opionion and is worth paying a little more for.

The "in my opinion" is the key phrase there. Glad you put that in :)

Just got my Concert Tiki Flea back with its new Rosewood fretboard and Aquila strings. It showed up on my doorstep literally an hour ago, and even when playing as the strings stretch out, it's sounds great! I prefer the sound of the Flea to the Fluke. As "non wood body" ukes go, the Flea sounds better to me, and is, in my opinion :) a great, all American made, first Ukulele.

I had an experience at my first Uke Club similar to this conversation. An older gentleman walked up to me and asked to see my Flea. He gave it one strum handed it back and said "They all sound the same." and walked away.

By his actions, I'm guessing he wasn't saying it as a compliment, but hey, you get a Flea or Fluke, you know what you are getting: a solid instrument, with dead on intonation that can handle some abuse, and is a joy to play.

All that being said, (written) I'm looking at a solid wood Ohana or Kala for my next mid range ukulele purchase, and I'm dreaming of a Koaloha...

JT

All that being said, (written) I'm looking at a solid wood Ohana or Kala for my next mid range ukulele purchase, and I'm dreaming of a Koaloha...

JT

Stop Dreaming and save your money :) Trust me having one Koaloha is better than a truck load of Chinese made instruments. I'm a new dealer for Koaloha, but am really impressed with the instruments that I've gotten in so far.

Stop Dreaming and save your money :) Trust me having one Koaloha is better than a truck load of Chinese made instruments. I'm a new dealer for Koaloha, but am really impressed with the instruments that I've gotten in so far.

I'm grabbing a coffee can and labeling it "Ukulele Fund, Do not touch under pain of tiptoeing through the tulips" now.

:)

Top Bottom