PDA

View Full Version : NUD. .....Mya Moe tenor

DownUpDave
02-14-2015, 04:35 AM
I received a Mya Moe classic tenor, sycamore #1568 about 6 days ago. Another UU member had ordered it then put it up for sale as soon as it arrived. One always wonders if something like this happens because he didn't like the sound or the over all look. Doesn't matter because I am absolutely thrilled with it. I wanted a tenor I could keep strung high G that had a well balanced and rounded tone, this certainly does.

It is a joy to play, very light with a fast neck, nice balance and an excellent set up. The over all volume is really good, even loud if I push it a bit. Sustain, resonance and projection are wonderful for a re-entrant. You low G fans know what I mean when I say some high G ukes are just lacking. Well this one isn't like that and It is all I have been playing since the day it arrived, love it.

DownUpDave
02-14-2015, 04:44 AM

Here are some more pictures. Sorry they are all sideways........can never figure that out.

blatboy
02-14-2015, 05:05 AM
That's a really nice uke you have there!

I love my Mya-Moe ukes. (I have two.) My first one was (and still is) a tenor similar to yours. The intonation up the neck is incredible.... and yeah... they project quite wonderfully.

hollisdwyer
02-14-2015, 05:07 AM
That's a really nice looking Uke. I like the all Sycamore, gorgeous grain.

I have kept my MM tenor as re-entrant too. They are great Ukes. Can't understand why the OP flipped it. I'd be very happy with that Uke. I'm sure you will love it.
Congratulations.

Cornfield
02-14-2015, 05:13 AM
Great purchase. I have two Mya-Moe ukes and they are both extremely well built instruments.

connor013
02-14-2015, 05:37 AM
Congrats -- that is indeed some pretty sycamore.

katysax
02-14-2015, 05:44 AM
Looks beautiful. I really like Mya Moe for high G tenor.

M3Ukulele
02-14-2015, 05:56 AM
Fantastic looking wood combination. Any chance you could post sound samples? Looking for custom like that but think I would go UPT just to try them as I have a Uke with pegheds. Don't get me wrong, I like pegheds just want to try something different. Same idea with woods. I have a gypsy custom cutaway in Sitka top/black walnut and a Pono in acascia but wonder what other wood sound like. Sycamore seems interesting to me.

Down Up Dick
02-14-2015, 05:58 AM
Hey, DUD1, very nice lookin' Uke. I like the grain.

A little aside for you: I take it that you have some kinda Apple picture taker. Well, if so, you can't send pics that you've taken "up and down." You must take 'em "sideways" if you're gonna send 'em. Try it, you'll see (I think).

Anyway, enjoy your Uke and take your pictures long ways side to side.:old:

Recstar24
02-14-2015, 06:01 AM
Yay! As we've already discussed, I've got a similar tenor MM and I'm glad you are as happy as I am.

Already game planning what my 2nd MM will be ;)

DownUpDave
02-14-2015, 06:08 AM
Fantastic looking wood combination. Any chance you could post sound samples? Looking for custom like that but think I would go UPT just to try them as I have a Uke with pegheds. Don't get me wrong, I like pegheds just want to try something different. Same idea with woods. I have a gypsy custom cutaway in Sitka top/black walnut and a Pono in acascia but wonder what other wood sound like. Sycamore seems interesting to me.

Sorry but I am not equipped to do sound recordings. I have an older Samsung tablet and the recording on it is terrible, almost no volume. Go to Mya Moe you tube channel, this one is close to the top as it is a very recent build. I took a bit of a flyer, hoping for warmth, sustain and resonance and got it. I own Koaloha, Loprinzi, Pono, Collings and this sycamore Mya Moe really holds it's own.

My Pono and Collings have the UPT on them and they are fantastic. If you have a chance to get them on a uke do it, they are my favourite tuners.

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words, means a lot. :shaka:

hollisdwyer
02-14-2015, 06:25 AM
Two thumbs up for the Gotoh UPT's. Like them more than the pegheads but have never seen Mya Moe offer them as an option. Wish they would.

And once again Dave, you got yourself a really nice Uke there.

Ukulele Eddie
02-14-2015, 06:47 AM
Nice score! Enjoy!

Doc_J
02-14-2015, 07:33 AM
Great decision Dave. That is one sweet looking tenor. Sycamore is beautiful wood.

BTW Aaron Keim did a nice demo of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUBClXevafU

DownUpDave
02-14-2015, 07:39 AM
Funny story Doc. A uke buddy, Tim, was over after I got this and I showed him that video. He loves clawhammer as much as I do and has Aaron's book Neither of us can play that style but the joke was maybe the uke came with some Aaron clawhammer mojo..........I am still looking for it ;). The Collings UT2 SB still holds a special place.

AJ Hill
02-14-2015, 08:21 AM
I have had three Mya Moe 's ,a reso tenor , a myrtle tenor and a Beansprout ,,but must say that brand new straight out of the case my Koaloha and my Kamaka tenors sounded better the Beansprout simply the best banjo uke out there , although it's very nice to choose the woods etc and the long time to look forward to the uke arrival I doubt I would go the custom build again

kvehe
02-14-2015, 08:28 AM
Beautiful! The sycamore looks like it's from the asymmetric "animal print" wood that Char had in her body shop last spring. My concert pineapple is being built now, and it's probably from the same board. That makes us related! Enjoy - I know you will.

Dan Uke
02-14-2015, 09:30 AM
congrats on another uke!

Camsuke
02-14-2015, 10:27 AM
Congratulations Dave! Well done, what a beauty!

blatboy
02-14-2015, 10:48 AM
My Mya Moes always took some time to settle in... worth the wait tho IMHO. Takes a while for them to forget they're not trees anymore.

DownUpDave
02-14-2015, 11:19 AM
My Mya Moes always took some time to settle in... worth the wait tho IMHO. Takes a while for them to forget they're not trees anymore.

I like that saying, kinda like how long it is taking me to forgot I am not a boy anymore..........only 57 years old and still childish.

I really enjoyed your song, great job on the old time look with the video, very cool. You and the Mya Moe both sound real good.

M3Ukulele
02-14-2015, 11:48 AM
Hodge thanks for the link. Dave gret looking ukulele. I like the crisp clear sound of the sycamore in the video. I had not really ever considered sycamore for a ukulele. I like the crisp note definition of Sitka or Engelmann......but sycamore sounds great. Love the grain. Is it. One piece top?

Recstar24
02-14-2015, 01:49 PM
That one is a 1 piece set both top and back.

Seriously considering sycamore for my next MM in a resonator. good find for MM, very unique and great sounding wood. And considering the original owner put it for sale on the day it arrived, it's virtually brand new.

My myrtle MM continues to open up, the 1st day it was definitely sounding tight.

mkatz
02-14-2015, 03:58 PM
Congratulations, it's a great looking uke!

Mitch

GASguy
02-14-2015, 06:50 PM
Congratulations, that is a Beautiful looking and sounding ukulele; I love the one piece top and back asymmetrical grain patterns!

brimmer
02-14-2015, 06:59 PM
Lovely uke, congrats! A uke like that deserves to be played daily.

consitter
02-14-2015, 07:03 PM
Beautiful uke!!

Wondering...does having a radiused fretboard make much of a difference to you?

sam13
02-14-2015, 10:38 PM
While everyone is confirming it is a pretty Uke.

I can confirm it is wonderful to play. It's a sweet ride.

Congrats Bud.

Rakelele
02-14-2015, 11:36 PM
Congrats, that does look pretty! From what I can tell from the demo video, it sounds bright and clear, so I think keeping it high G will suit this beauty well.

DownUpDave
02-15-2015, 01:35 AM
Beautiful uke!!

Wondering...does having a radiused fretboard make much of a difference to you?

As a matter of fact it does make a big difference to me. I have a degenerative condition that causes my fingers to curl, can't straigthen them out. A radius makes barr chords much easier, really allows me to play all notes clearly across the barr. I have been slowly switching over to radius fret boards with my new purchases.

DownUpDave
02-15-2015, 02:22 AM
Beautiful! The sycamore looks like it's from the asymmetric "animal print" wood that Char had in her body shop last spring. My concert pineapple is being built now, and it's probably from the same board. That makes us related! Enjoy - I know you will.

Very cool if we are sporting the same piece of wood. Having a concert pineapple built with that sycamore will be outstanding, you must be really excited. You said it is being "built now" are we talking ready to ship in a week or two, if so how are you sleeping.

Now I am curious...........we need details, binding wood, rossette headstock type. I mean if we are now related you won't hold anything back from cousin dave would ya ;)

aaronckeim
02-15-2015, 04:11 PM
Hey folks- It's been fun reading this thread! I am glad this uke found a new home with a new friend! As you can see from the video, I had a good time playing it!

Re: Opening up of sound over time. Yes, it can take a bit for a uke to sound it's mature best. But also remember that your hands and fingers take a while to learn how to draw the best sounds from a new uke. I have long thought that the "opening up" process is a combo of both things. I wish I could hold on to each one we string for a week or two and really play it in. But, most customers have been waiting long enough and are ready to strum it themselves! If we worked through music stores or dealers, than the ukes could go to the store for a while and get strummed and loved a bit. But, all of our sales go straight to you!

Re: Sycamore. Yes, it is a crisp and clear sounding tone wood and the notes have lots of nice separation. I really feel like I can dig in and hit it hard and it won't crap out on me. It is also from N. America and as you know I am always pushing for that.
Cheers!
Aaron

ukertommy
02-15-2015, 04:54 PM
Congratulations, nice Uke & have fun with it!

Recstar24
02-15-2015, 05:09 PM
Thanks aaron for chiming in! I've found my Myrtle to align pretty well with what you've mentioned. Continuing to open up, and pretty close sounding to the other medium density all wood top back and sides - sycamore, mahogany, walnut, Myrtle etc. seem to be all pretty close to each other within the MM line.

mds725
02-15-2015, 07:23 PM
Congratulations om the mew uke. I have a few MMs (myrtle tenor, myrtle baritone, mahogany 6-string baritone) and my experience is that they have a "family voice" - crisp, clear, and percussive without being muddy - with a bit of variation from (probably) tonewood and strings. They're great instruments and I love mine.

kvehe
02-16-2015, 08:23 AM
Very cool if we are sporting the same piece of wood. Having a concert pineapple built with that sycamore will be outstanding, you must be really excited. You said it is being "built now" are we talking ready to ship in a week or two, if so how are you sleeping.

Now I am curious...........we need details, binding wood, rossette headstock type. I mean if we are now related you won't hold anything back from cousin dave would ya ;)

I guess I'm not hijacking the thread since you're the OP. Here it is, Cousin Dave:

http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=1616&submit=Track

concert pineapple classic from the Cascade series; figured sycamore with walnut binding and rosette; maple fretboard, Port Orford cedar neck, leaf inlay; Pegheds; walnut and maple headplate

So far, one step has been completed. With a projected completion date of 03/19, I expect to have it the last week in March.

I stalked their website last March and April, waiting to pounce on serial # 1616 - that's the address of the house where I grew up. If I had missed 1616, I would have aimed for # 1627, which was the address of the building where my parents lived when I was born.

Watching this definitely helps the long, cold winter nights.

sam13
02-16-2015, 09:08 AM
When I played it, to me, the tone was not as bright as Spruce and warmer than Tenor. It is quite nice.

And VERY light to hold. The action was really nice as well.

M3Ukulele
02-17-2015, 07:32 PM
"Not as bright as spruce but warmer than Tenor"? I also like Engelmann spruce from the sounds on HMS Of a Pono RTC with spruce top. I have a Sitka custom top tenor with black walnut. Love it..........where do you see Sycamore fit in with Engelmann and Sitka. I like the idea of Sycamore..... Sounds good. Looks good......sustainable. I really like the Koa binding.

DownUpDave
02-17-2015, 11:39 PM
"Not as bright as spruce but warmer than Tenor"? I also like Engelmann spruce from the sounds on HMS Of a Pono RTC with spruce top. I have a Sitka custom top tenor with black walnut. Love it..........where do you see Sycamore fit in with Engelmann and Sitka. I like the idea of Sycamore..... Sounds good. Looks good......sustainable. I really like the Koa binding.

When sam13 was over to my house and played it he made the comment about it sounding close to spruce. Aarons comments about it being "crisp and clear with lots of nice note seperation" is right on. Jeez go figure, Aaron might know a thing or two about Mya Moe tones and the woods they use.

This is a really balanced sounding instrument. Whether it is the build or wood I can't tell, probably a combination of both. It is brilliant when finger picked and equally great when strummed. Even when strumming barr chords you can hear the individual notes and that doesn't happen with many ukes. Hope that helps. This came up for sale here and thought I would take a chance on it, sycamore was not even on my radar and I knew nothing about it, apparently the crew at Mya Moe does ;)

DownUpDave
02-20-2015, 12:28 AM
I guess I'm not hijacking the thread since you're the OP. Here it is, Cousin Dave:

http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=1616&submit=Track

concert pineapple classic from the Cascade series; figured sycamore with walnut binding and rosette; maple fretboard, Port Orford cedar neck, leaf inlay; Pegheds; walnut and maple headplate

So far, one step has been completed. With a projected completion date of 03/19, I expect to have it the last week in March.

I stalked their website last March and April, waiting to pounce on serial # 1616 - that's the address of the house where I grew up. If I had missed 1616, I would have aimed for # 1627, which was the address of the building where my parents lived when I was born.

Watching this definitely helps the long, cold winter nights.

Kathryn, thanks for sharing the details of your new baby as it is being built. It must be very exciting to finally see it coming to reality. Looking at the first shoptracker picture you can how beautiful the grain is on the sides, animal print is an appropriate description. I love your choice of walnut binding and rosette as well

What made you pick the pineapple shape. Do you own one and enjoy playing it, or did you want to try something different. I happen to like that shape and have thought of getting a pineapple long neck, I'm a tenor guy.

Recstar24
02-20-2015, 04:27 AM
When sam13 was over to my house and played it he made the comment about it sounding close to spruce. Aarons comments about it being "crisp and clear with lots of nice note seperation" is right on. Jeez go figure, Aaron might know a thing or two about Mya Moe tones and the woods they use.

This is a really balanced sounding instrument. Whether it is the build or wood I can't tell, probably a combination of both. It is brilliant when finger picked and equally great when strummed. Even when strumming barr chords you can hear the individual notes and that doesn't happen with many ukes. Hope that helps. This came up for sale here and thought I would take a chance on it, sycamore was not even on my radar and I knew nothing about it, apparently the crew at Mya Moe does ;)

Exactly how I feel about my Myrtle! I appreciate the consistency across the different instruments from Mya-Moe - they have done a great job on how to make a certain sound regardless of wood choice, and the signature of the instrument is not just about the wood, but the entire build as a cohesive whole. I've noticed that every single MM i've listened to at least online all sound pretty similar - there is definitely a sound signature they aspire to. All the MM's I've heard as well seem to possess certain musical traits that are consistent across all wood choices - sustain, consistency of tone, impeccable intonation, etc. Each one also seems to possess a certain balance, with the wood slightly going towards a warm or brighter sound - their koa builds don't sound overly warm to me, and their maple/spruce builds don't sound too bright for me either.