NUD. .....Mya Moe tenor

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I received a Mya Moe classic tenor, sycamore #1568 about 6 days ago. Another UU member had ordered it then put it up for sale as soon as it arrived. One always wonders if something like this happens because he didn't like the sound or the over all look. Doesn't matter because I am absolutely thrilled with it. I wanted a tenor I could keep strung high G that had a well balanced and rounded tone, this certainly does.

It is a joy to play, very light with a fast neck, nice balance and an excellent set up. The over all volume is really good, even loud if I push it a bit. Sustain, resonance and projection are wonderful for a re-entrant. You low G fans know what I mean when I say some high G ukes are just lacking. Well this one isn't like that and It is all I have been playing since the day it arrived, love it.

20150212_143040.jpg20150212_142853.jpg20150212_142124.jpg20150212_142000.jpg

Last edited:
That's a really nice uke you have there!

I love my Mya-Moe ukes. (I have two.) My first one was (and still is) a tenor similar to yours. The intonation up the neck is incredible.... and yeah... they project quite wonderfully.

That's a really nice looking Uke. I like the all Sycamore, gorgeous grain.

I have kept my MM tenor as re-entrant too. They are great Ukes. Can't understand why the OP flipped it. I'd be very happy with that Uke. I'm sure you will love it.
Congratulations.

Great purchase. I have two Mya-Moe ukes and they are both extremely well built instruments.

Looks beautiful. I really like Mya Moe for high G tenor.

Fantastic looking wood combination. Any chance you could post sound samples? Looking for custom like that but think I would go UPT just to try them as I have a Uke with pegheds. Don't get me wrong, I like pegheds just want to try something different. Same idea with woods. I have a gypsy custom cutaway in Sitka top/black walnut and a Pono in acascia but wonder what other wood sound like. Sycamore seems interesting to me.

Hey, DUD1, very nice lookin' Uke. I like the grain.

A little aside for you: I take it that you have some kinda Apple picture taker. Well, if so, you can't send pics that you've taken "up and down." You must take 'em "sideways" if you're gonna send 'em. Try it, you'll see (I think).

Anyway, enjoy your Uke and take your pictures long ways side to side.:eek:ld:

Yay! As we've already discussed, I've got a similar tenor MM and I'm glad you are as happy as I am.

Already game planning what my 2nd MM will be ;)

Fantastic looking wood combination. Any chance you could post sound samples? Looking for custom like that but think I would go UPT just to try them as I have a Uke with pegheds. Don't get me wrong, I like pegheds just want to try something different. Same idea with woods. I have a gypsy custom cutaway in Sitka top/black walnut and a Pono in acascia but wonder what other wood sound like. Sycamore seems interesting to me.

Sorry but I am not equipped to do sound recordings. I have an older Samsung tablet and the recording on it is terrible, almost no volume. Go to Mya Moe you tube channel, this one is close to the top as it is a very recent build. I took a bit of a flyer, hoping for warmth, sustain and resonance and got it. I own Koaloha, Loprinzi, Pono, Collings and this sycamore Mya Moe really holds it's own.

My Pono and Collings have the UPT on them and they are fantastic. If you have a chance to get them on a uke do it, they are my favourite tuners.

Thanks to everyone else for the kind words, means a lot. :shaka:

Last edited:
Two thumbs up for the Gotoh UPT's. Like them more than the pegheads but have never seen Mya Moe offer them as an option. Wish they would.

And once again Dave, you got yourself a really nice Uke there.

Nice score! Enjoy!

Great decision Dave. That is one sweet looking tenor. Sycamore is beautiful wood.

BTW Aaron Keim did a nice demo of it.

Funny story Doc. A uke buddy, Tim, was over after I got this and I showed him that video. He loves clawhammer as much as I do and has Aaron's book Neither of us can play that style but the joke was maybe the uke came with some Aaron clawhammer mojo..........I am still looking for it ;). The Collings UT2 SB still holds a special place.

Last edited:
I have had three Mya Moe 's ,a reso tenor , a myrtle tenor and a Beansprout ,,but must say that brand new straight out of the case my Koaloha and my Kamaka tenors sounded better the Beansprout simply the best banjo uke out there , although it's very nice to choose the woods etc and the long time to look forward to the uke arrival I doubt I would go the custom build again

Beautiful! The sycamore looks like it's from the asymmetric "animal print" wood that Char had in her body shop last spring. My concert pineapple is being built now, and it's probably from the same board. That makes us related! Enjoy - I know you will.

My Mya Moes always took some time to settle in... worth the wait tho IMHO. Takes a while for them to forget they're not trees anymore.

Top Bottom