Ukulele in the movies

Nickie

Reaction score
I just saw/heard an ukulele being played in the movie The Caine Mutiny.
Anyone else know of a movie with ukulele(s) in it?

There was a thread about this some time ago here, which also links to past threads. My contribution to the thread was this list on Amazon. One I'd recommend is Stanley's Gig.

Both the thread I linked to and the list are a bit old though - I'd be curious to know what's new since 2012. One that comes to mind is Her, which I really enjoyed.

Nickie, you'd love love love Stanley's Gig. Seriously. It's about what you, me and heaps of other folks do. :)

I just saw/heard an ukulele being played in the movie The Caine Mutiny.
Anyone else know of a movie with ukulele(s) in it?
I don't know about The Caine Mutiny, but wouldn't that have taken place a little before the ukulele was invented? Perhaps it was a Machete?

I don't know about The Caine Mutiny, but wouldn't that have taken place a little before the ukulele was invented? Perhaps it was a Machete?

I think you are mixing up two mutinies ......Mutiny on the Bounty ....A British Naval Mutiny of 1789 ,in which case you would be spot on and The Caine Mutiny which took place in the more modern US Navy in about 1944...in that case it could have been either a Uke or a Machete ;)

I think you are mixing up two mutinies ......Mutiny on the Bounty ....A British Naval Mutiny of 1789 ,in which case you would be spot on and The Caine Mutiny which took place in the more modern US Navy in about 1944...in that case it could have been either a Uke or a Machete ;)
I think that you are right?:) I was thinking about the wrong movie. I'll have to watch them both.

2014 film by Woody Allen: Magic in the Moonlight.

There was significant uke in that film. Great film!

Petey

Duane "The Rock" Johnson play a uke in Journey to the Center of the Earth. I think he plays "What a Wonderful World". What I found interesting is watching a behind the scenes video of him playing the song and then seeing him play it in the movie.

The one I remember best is "Some Like It Hot". Marilyn Monroe played a very hoooot Uke, but then everything she did was hot.

I think I read somewhere that MM really played the Uke. :eek:ld:

2014 film by Woody Allen: Magic in the Moonlight.

There was significant uke in that film. Great film!

Petey

Good one! Watched this one last night - I'd completely forgotten about it, so thanks for the reminder :)

OK, I have added Stanley's Gig and Magic in the Moonlight to my Netflix DVD rental (yes, I get discs, no streaming for me yet).
–Lori

Kirk Douglas played a tenor guitar and later a guitar/ukulele type instrument that his character made from a turtle shell in 20,000 Leagues Beneath The Sea.

Notice how Kirk has learned to do some Roy Smeck style fips with the tenor guitar.

Last edited:
I was watching The Caine Mutiny the other day and I saw the same thing! Hadn't really noticed it before. I tried to figure out what kind of uke it was. Might have been a Regal with the sticker between the pegs. "Got those Yellow Stain Blues..."
Here's a picture I found online...I think you can click on it to make it larger.
Caine.jpg

Last edited:

I was watching The Caine Mutiny the other day and I saw the same thing! Hadn't really noticed it before. I tried to figure out what kind of uke it was. Might have been a Regal with the sticker between the pegs. "Got those Yellow Stain Blues..."
Here's a picture I found online...I think you can click on it to make it larger.
View attachment 76178

Not a very good capture

Duane "The Rock" Johnson play a uke in Journey to the Center of the Earth. I think he plays "What a Wonderful World". What I found interesting is watching a behind the scenes video of him playing the song and then seeing him play it in the movie.

Good one! Watched this one last night - I'd completely forgotten about it, so thanks for the reminder :)

You're welcome. Someone recommended that film to me just recently since I'm a lifelong fan of the magician Houdini. It was really surprising to see the ukulele in it.

I also saw a French film that also quite prominently showed the ukulele but I can't recall the name.

Petey

Top Bottom