New Plastic Uke

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
Has anyone seen the new plastic "beach" Uke? It was in the Spring issue of Ukulele Magazine. It's white and sorta "see-through". I think there's already a soprano one and, now, a concert. You beach and camping peeps should be frenzied with excitement--if they're any good.

Always somethin' new and better (?). :eek:ld:

You might be thinking about the Makala Waterman.
Haven't seen one in the wild, but they are on Kalas web page.
The look cool.

maybe the ukulele you mean is the "bachbuddy" it is sold in germany as the "beachbuddy by classic cantabile"
you can get it in several colours, with motivs and also clear (seethrough)

its the same as the "woodi" sold in usa
only difference, its much cheaper here in germany ;-)

It would help if you could tell us what brand it is. In addition to the Kala Waterman, there's a "bug" uke and an "Outdoor Ukulele" (which may be the one you're thinking of, because the other two only come in soprano scale. Here's a link to the Outdoor Ukulele website.
http://outdoorukulele.com/

It would help if you could tell us what brand it is. In addition to the Kala Waterman, there's a "bug" uke and an "Outdoor Ukulele" (which may be the one you're thinking of, because the other two only come in soprano scale. Here's a link to the Outdoor Ukulele website.
http://outdoorukulele.com/

You're correct, mds725, my bad-sorry. It's called the Aqualele, and it's made by BugsGear. The article said the new one would come out in January 2015.

Looks pretty good to me. I wonder if the tuners are metal . . . :eek:ld:

Personally I think they sound better than the Outdoor Uke. I'm interested in a concert size. Oh, Mim.....

I've got a soprano Aqualele, and am waiting on the Concert size.

Tuners are geared tuners, strings are an Asian string Phil says sound better to him than Aquilas - to me, the strings are the weakest part of the instrument.

I brought the soprano to Jay's Uke Jam By The Bay last year, and many people played it, and were surprised at how good it sounded/felt.

Stu Fuchs has played my soprano, and said it had a great sound.

I've got several mid range and (to me) higher- end mid range ukes, and I ordered the concert sized Bugs gear uke. That should say something about the instruments.

-Kurt​

Last edited:
Is there anything out there about the concert version being available yet? He (is it Ken?) did a KickStarter campaign about it (that didn't reach its goal) and that kept the money, so I'm wondering where that's at. I was not able to contribute to that one, so I'm not sure what the timeline is anymore.

Is there anything out there about the concert version being available yet? He (is it Ken?) did a KickStarter campaign about it (that didn't reach its goal) and that kept the money, so I'm wondering where that's at. I was not able to contribute to that one, so I'm not sure what the timeline is anymore.

https://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/kickstarter basics

"Funding on Kickstarter is all-or-nothing. No one will be charged for a pledge towards a project unless it reaches its funding goal. This way, creators always have the budget they scoped out before moving forward."

I just ordered a kealoha with the palm tree design. I play my plastic uke in the tub every morning. This will give me another choice of instrument. Thanks for bringing it up on the forum!

It's at Indiegogo: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bugsgear-plastic-concert-size-ukulele. Campaign owner gets to keep the funds even if the target is not reached. There were some issues with the moulding, so delivery was delayed by a few months.

Yeah, I said Kickstarter when I knew it wasn't that one--I should have said crowdfunding thing or something more general. Since I knew he kept the money even though the target wasn't reached, I assumed that he was still going ahead with the build. That's what I was hoping at least. Now I'm just looking for whenever it goes on sale to the general public.

Loving my Kealoha Concert KISSING! Thank you for talking me out of the outdoor ukulele.It's going to be a fun summer bringing a uke kayaking and floating.

I cannot because I installed strap buttons on mine so its not accurate. Sorry but I am not taking them off.

Top Bottom