Playing the Ukulele and Common Sense

Jeffelele

Reaction score
Will Rogers, the great American humorist, came to me in a dream last night. He revealed that although no one knew of it he was a great fan and player of the ukulele. He asked if I would pass on the following message.

"There's been a lot of talking back-and-forth on the subject of health insurance. A lot of controversy. I don't want to get in the middle of all that but I have an idea that could hardly be controversial. I propose a health insurance credit for people who play the ukulele.

I hardly need to go on. You all know why.

Take a man who plays the ukulele and what have you got? You've got a better man. Take a woman who plays the ukulele and what have you got? A better looking woman. I don't mean to be sexist, just stating a fact from a man's point of view.

The Father of Our Country, George Washington, didn't believe in the need for political parties. He believed that common sense should get us by. Playing the ukulele is just common sense."

Makes sense!

We'll have none of that around here!

Yeah....I just don't understand people who say they don't really care for music....chanelling dead guys is weird, though....maybe next time you'll see Edgar Cayce.

Will Rogers, the great American humorist, came to me in a dream last night. He revealed that although no one knew of it he was a great fan and player of the ukulele. He asked if I would pass on the following message.

"There's been a lot of talking back-and-forth on the subject of health insurance. A lot of controversy. I don't want to get in the middle of all that but I have an idea that could hardly be controversial. I propose a health insurance credit for people who play the ukulele.

I hardly need to go on. You all know why.

Take a man who plays the ukulele and what have you got? You've got a better man. Take a woman who plays the ukulele and what have you got? A better looking woman. I don't mean to be sexist, just stating a fact from a man's point of view.

The Father of Our Country, George Washington, didn't believe in the need for political parties. He believed that common sense should get us by. Playing the ukulele is just common sense."

The father of your country was also a pretty good ukulele player according to this song that our jug band does regularly:

Washington at Valley Forge
Freezin' cold but up spoke George sayin'
Vo-do-deo, vo-do-deo, do
Crazy words, crazy tune
But all that George could croon and spoon was
Vo-do-deo, vo-do-deo, do
On his ukelele daily
He would strum with a beedle um bum
Dancin' prancin'
And then he'd holler, "RED HOT MOMMA!"
Crazy words crazy tune
But all that George could croon and spoon was
Vo-do-deo, vo-do-deo, do

In case anyone wants some help learning this song, I've just posted the changes in the Ukulele Tabs and Chords forum.

Last edited:
Wasn't there a movie where cliff edwards played the part of George Washington. I think the character in the movie cut down a cherry tree to get wood to start a uke making business.

You are a scholar sir! This is a very obscure interlude in the life of the General. Even less known is what happened to the wood that the young Washington chopped. I hope I am not being too indiscreet in saying and possibly revealing for the first time publicly that the wood eventually made its way to a German ukulele company I will only identify with the letter B.

Under tightest security it was crafted into a ukulele and came into the possession of an individual only identified as HD. To add to the continuing cover for this incredible instrument a YouTube video purporting to be a review was created. Eventually the instrument was passed on as HD could no longer afford the 3.7 million dollars per year insurance. It is once again in unknown hands.

I fear I have said too much and must break off here so I can go look out my window.

Last edited:
Top Bottom