Sound Hole Binding and Purfling

Hluth

Reaction score
Here’s my method for installing sound hole binding and purfling. It should be done before gluing on the top.

1. Cut the sound hole in the top and glue a hardwood patch behind it. Fit the purfling against the inside edge of the soundhole and mark it at least .25” long
2. Trim the purfling with a chisel a little at a time, trying the fit each time. The purfling needs to fit extremely tight to fill any gaps, and the last cut is usually just a few thousands of an inch before it goes in.

3. Glue the edge and push the purfling into the hole.

4. Cut out the patch leaving a little material between it and the purfling. Sand flush to the purfling. (It’s a good idea to mark the inside edge of the purfling with a white pencil; when the sander scuffs it, you know it’s flush).

5. Bend the binding. I use a curling iron mounted vertically in a base for this.

6. Fit the binding the same way as the purfling, then glue and drive it down flush againt a backing block.

7. Scrape flush with top.

8. Done

Oops, The numbers are wrong on the first picture: need to transpose 2 and 3 for it to make sense.

binding1.jpg binding2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not sure I get it. Why not just cut in a rosette channel and glue in the bwb and then cut out the hole? What advantage is there to the binding around the sound hole? Contrasting wood? Sorry, I'm an amateur.

I cut the purfling and binding at 45 degrees to get a perfect slip fit.

I'm not sure I get it. Why not just cut in a rosette channel and glue in the bwb and then cut out the hole? What advantage is there to the binding around the sound hole? Contrasting wood?

Cutting a rosette channel would work too. The method I use doesn't require a router template and could probably be done by somebody without much tooling. It's a good idea to cover up end-grain whenever possible (although it's common to leave it exposed around the sound hole). Sound hole binding can also be used in conjunction with a rosette like the one in the picture below.

ebony.jpg

Thanks. I understand now... Lovely effect I must say. Almost makes a soundhole without purfling look raw and unfinished to my eye now. I also like the eccentric rosette. Took me a second or two to figure out how you did it. Ah... two center holes of course. I'm inspired!

Top Bottom