cedar top vs spruce top uke

diggersmom32

Reaction score
I am still very new to playing ukulele. I'd like advice on cedar top and spruce top ukes under$400. Are there well-built ones available? Are they solid wood or laminate back and sides? Does Spruce top have a softer, fuller sound?

Definitely look at mainland ukuleles. They have a red cedar top and a spruce top both under $300. Solid wood and very nicely done rope purfling.

I owned the red cedar and when I was first deciding I asked mike over at mainland about the two - he mentioned the spruce sounds a little fuller to his ears and the cedar is a little more crisp. Though I never heard the spruce the red cedar I owned had great volume, punch, and was indeed very crisp. After a month it really settled in and the tone started to round out. It's a very nice option, and would imagine the spruce to be a nice option too.

Keep in mind the above quote and impressions are specific to a certain brand, and that a different brand/builder will yield completely different results if they offer cedar and spruce in their line.

Mainland. GREAT ukes, awesome folks, and reasonably priced.

I owned the red cedar and when I was first deciding I asked mike over at mainland about the two - he mentioned the spruce sounds a little fuller to his ears and the cedar is a little more crisp.
To my ears, it's the other way around. Spruce is brighter and crisper, while cedar is warmer and fuller.

Also, cedar is a softer wood. It will "open up" sooner than spruce.

Another brand to consider would be Ohana. Don't know what size you play, but UkerDanno has an Ohana CK-80 for sale in your price range (search the market place here; it's also listed on Flea Market Music's market place). It has a Port Oxford Cedar top & myrtle body. In your price range, I'm also a fan of Cordoba, though they don't offer a cedar top. Regardless, in this price range there are some nice values to be had. Just be sure to buy from a place that offers proper set up and QC.

Let us know what you end up getting!

Last edited:
To my ears, it's the other way around. Spruce is brighter and crisper, while cedar is warmer and fuller.

I agree with you. I have a Pono PC with Cedar and Spruce.

Cedar is Warmer, with fuller harmonics at the mid and lower end of the strum. Spruce has more harmonics at the upper end. More sustain.

Cedar doesn't open up as much. Spruce does. There are variations of both kinds of wood as well.

What she said.

I prefer cedar tops for the more rounded voice. Caveat as always being the builder: thinness of top, bracing, design

I have ukes with cedar and ukes with spruce. It totally depends on the uke. Cedar is softer and will show wear faster. All things being equal Spruce will be brighter and more focused. But it also makes a difference how opened up it is. An older spruce will be more like a newer cedar than a newer spruce.

Great reference, thanks!

Agreed. That is a great link.

I am far from an expert but I agree that cedar seems to give a fuller warmer tone (though perhaps a bit mushy). I love cedar tops. To my ears ukes can be a bit too harsh and jangly sounding. I think cedar tops reduce that as much as possible. It gives them the most guitar-like tone. Which is exactly why a lot of people would probably say they dislike cedar tops on ukuleles. It is all a preference thing but right now I really like the soft wood tops especially cedar.

What a cool thread, thanks Hippie for the article. Trees and woods fascinate me. Not only do they make wonderful instruments, humans couldn't survive without them! Next time you're outdoors, thank a tree for the oxygen and shade.

Great thread here as I have been wondering about this topic for a while. Does anyone have any opinions on which is more responsive to soft, low volume playing given the same construction?

I'll 2nd (or 3rd) the Mainland recommendation - email Mike at Mainland directly - he's a member on here too.
And/or Ohana from MIM's.
Ohanas and Mainlands are very similar and may be from the same factory specs. Can't go wrong with those.

Agreed. That is a great link.

I am far from an expert but I agree that cedar seems to give a fuller warmer tone (though perhaps a bit mushy). I love cedar tops. To my ears ukes can be a bit too harsh and jangly sounding. I think cedar tops reduce that as much as possible. It gives them the most guitar-like tone. Which is exactly why a lot of people would probably say they dislike cedar tops on ukuleles. It is all a preference thing but right now I really like the soft wood tops especially cedar.

I agree with this. For me, my Pono ATSHC-PC (Cedar top Acacia back and sides) has a great less "jangly" but great performing uke sound.

One of the videos I did recently... One player, one brand, one data point, but unaltered audio under exact conditions...

Use true playback sources for an accurate listen to these particular spruce & cedar tops.
On a personal note, for over 20 years I've analyzed these sound board options on various brands and models. I just grow less opinionated every year, but I think katysax relayed my general experience best.

One of the videos I did recently... One player, one brand, one data point, but unaltered audio under exact conditions...

Use true playback sources for an accurate listen to these particular spruce & cedar tops.
On a personal note, for over 20 years I've analyzed these sound board options on various brands and models. I just grow less opinionated every year, but I think katysax relayed my general experience best.

This video is really great. A lot of finger action.

From a strumming point of view, it depends on the song for me and the colour I want to greate from the Ukulele.

If you are a Tenor guy I'd certainly look at the Gretsch Mahogany cutaway. It costs around $200 but imo plays and sounds like a good $400 instrument. I have many higher end ukes but this guy is a favorite. Other than that I'm a cedar guy. BTW the Gretsch is a solid top and laminate back and sides.

Don't forget to consider a good used or factory second. Or save your money for a PONO cedar.

Last edited:
Top Bottom